Does Blizzard remove the lightning from Storm Totem?

The wording of blizzard node in storm totem skill tree doesn’t say it converts storm totem lightning to cold, but it converts shock to chill and adds cold DOT. Does the blizzard node also remove the storm bolts from storm totem? So effectively it becomes a cold totem?

Or do we get to keep the storm bolts and also get the cold DOT in addition?

For context, I’ve been playing a 100% stormbolt shaman build … Taking every single stormbolt proc possible and speccing as a full caster.

Build: Gathering storm with staff node, Wolves with lightning retaliation, Storm totem, Leap with stormbolts, Tornadoes with stormbolts.

It’s pretty fun and has good clear, but single target is lacking, and I’m sure corruption could be difficult… We’ll see when i get to empowered monos

I am almost certain storm bolts can only be converted in the Gathering Storm tree. So if you convert use Blizzard node to convert storm totems to cold, all of storm totems shock chance is converted to chill. And all procs based on shock (like Fulgurite Core) would be contingent on chill. But STORM BOLTS would remain as whatever they are in your Gathering Storm Tree. And any thing THEY provide would not be converted to cold and any shock chance the Storm Bolts have would remain as shock chance.

1 Like

I think you are right/I came to the same opinion.

1 Like

Taking blizzard does not remove the lightning storm from storm totem no.

Storm totem however does not cast storm bolts. It casts lightning storm. So even if you then convert storm bolts to cold through gathering storm tree, Storm totem still casts a lightning storm which is lightning damage.

Blizzard will make the storm totem cast a blizzard around itself, as well as make conditional effects based on chill instead of shock.

4 Likes

@CaiusMartius @TyphonBaan @DiceDragon Cool thanks for confirming folks. I shall give this blizzard node a try after all. :slight_smile:

1 Like