Did something change?

March 20 - “EHG started from a group of gamers hoping to make the ARPG they wanted to play, and now EHG is a group of gamers hoping to make the game YOU want to play.”

May 7 - “As always, the team here at Eleventh Hour Games is dedicated to making the ARPG of our dreams”

Their dream game is one you would want to play.

I don’t see what the question here is, especially not without any sources of the quotes and how it prompted the title question for you.

2 Likes

thats not what they said.

i take it you dont read the steam patch posts.

inconsistency prompts questions.

This is exactly the sort of thing that I cannot stand about stuff that gets more and more popular. People start to nitpick stuff into the ground so it isn’t even remotely interesting anymore. Stop looking for stuff to nitpick. None of what they said is mutually exclusive. I swear Mike must sigh a lot when he has to sift through user comments.

1 Like

i dont need to look for it, it comes to me.

just because people forget or dont read things, doesnt mean someone else who has remembered or read something is nitpicking.

is it too much to ask for more consistency?

I agree with your sentiment.
I mean the OP does not even have feedback about the game, but rather some semantic thing about the devs philosophy.
They didn’t even refer to where or when things have been said. Maybe it was two different EHG members just using slightly different phrasings and now this is a thing that seems important to the OP.

But yeah I agree that sometimes on games that are rather good and popular the kind of feedback sometimes gets a bit silly, when people try to nitpick small things.

I mean LE is far from a perfect game and we still have a long road ahead of us until it catches up with a lot of the competition.

But sometimes a lot of feedback that does come in seems like the case, that people need to find something to complain about.

2 Likes

The two posts aren’t inconsistent. They set out to make the game they want to play. At some point they had to make concessions, so it became the game they want to play and that we want to play.
The ARPG of their dreams is one that everyone wants to play. Which won’t happen because players will just pick on any small thing to rant about.

It’s not exclusive.

2 Likes

when you let small things pile up, doesnt that make a big thing?

if there is 1000 small things, is that ok?, because they are just small things.
now, because there is 1000 small things, its 1 big thing to fix.

then the second post is missing a ‘y’, because its no longer their dream.

I agree that many small things can add up. But I don’t think LE is in a spot where there are dozens and dozens of small things that are annoying and holding the game back.

And if people start to pick out some of these small things, without bringing up any real concering problems I would say that the devs can be proud to have created a game that seems to be pretty good.

1 Like

No, I’m pretty sure their dream is to make an ARPG that every single person likes to play. That has 0 flaws and is publicly lauded as the best game of all time.
That doesn’t mean they stopped making the game they like to play and the game that we like to play.
It’s a venn diagram, not two separate circles.

1 Like

Also generally regarding making a game for the community or a game that the devs themselves enjoy there is a fine line sometimes.

Community feedback is valuable but should not always be implemented.
I would argue that the community as a collective does not know what’s “best” for the game.

I prefer a clear and concise idea, especially regarding design philosophy and vision for the future.

Not every suggestion made by the community will be a net positive for the game, only for some portion of the community.

Best example here would be mastery respec. When going by community feedback mastery Respec would have been implemented years ago, yet they have not done it. And I think that overall is for the better of the game.

There are a lot more things like that, where community feedback gives the devs knowledge about certain parts of their community, but feedback does not necessarily needs to be implemented.

So I rather have a game dev create a game that they like and enjoy and if they are passionate about it it will attract certain types of players and communities naturally. A game dev does not need to cater to the community, but they can choose to do it sometimes, which is what EHG did in a lot of instances already.

2 Likes