Dead optimization after 5 years and even after release. Devs are you okay?

I always play with lock fps on 60, minimum of graphic properties and my computer stronger than minimum system requirements (8gb RAM, nvidia geforce gtx 1650 and intel core i5-4670 cpu @ 3.40 ghz) but game is unplayable because lags. For example: warframe is a game with photorealistic graphic and i play it with ultra high graphic properties and it always works stability with 0 lags on my computer. Now LE is released and it stil has not adequate optimization. I tired to die in lags. I bought this game some years ago and now i feel 0 differences in speed of the game’s working from that time.
Devs if you will not work with it normally, many people will drop your game very fast. At release i saw online was 250k+ players 24/7 during many weeks but now online is 70-150k. May be you will try to solve this problem?

I suspect the problem with your system is that LE is generally not a particularly graphically-intensive game & so doesn’t demand much from your GPU. It is, however, much more CPU-intensive, so your gtx 1650 isn’t the problem, it’s the i5-4670 (a 10 year old cpu). In addition to Unity not being the most optimised engine.

The devs always add some optimisation tweaks into every patch, so I’d expect some more to come with 1.1.

4 Likes

It’s your CPU/Motherboard/RAM
I got a old i7-6700K, which is also chipset which works with DDR 3.

It’s darn outdated, basically no modern game runs ‘great’ on it anymore. It’s time to update… direly.

LE is happy to use 4-6GB+ ram on its own. Warframe uses around 1-2GB (depending on settings)
any system with less than 16GB+ will suffer huge lag running LE, because OS’s use roughly 4GB+/- without running any software.
so, OS using even 2GB and LE using 6GB is already 8GB gone, besides that, the moment you reach 75% ram usage, the OS will start paging to Hard drive which causes lag.

any machine hitting 75%+ ram usage will have very noticeable reduction in performance.

also take note that Warframe uses their own inhouse developed engine that was pretty much specifically designed for Warframe, LE is using someone elses engine, so optimizations are not always in their control.

running out of ram as a first reason.

updating your hardware wont fix bad game optimization.
im running i7-12700k CPU, 12GB 3080ti GPU, 32GB ram, NVMe drive and LE can still lag me down to 20fps at times, with medium settings.

3 Likes

I mean, you have 8GB of RAM, which is very low and a 10 year old mid-specced CPU.

And let me guess, you’re playing Explosive trap Marksman proccing 10 detonating arrows + 8 cold flasks ever 0.4 seconds and wonder why your computer can’t keep up?

2 Likes

which is where game optimization comes in.
there is millions of people running roughly the same specs, EHG not optimizing their game for these players automatically reduces their possible playerbase.

big explosions are nice to see, but pointless if your customers machine can not handle them.
and you cant tell them to buy better hardware when they already have the minimum spec’s or better.

You’re missing a key point: MINIMUM specs. Meaning of course, you will not be able to play the Crazy Proc builds without a little lag if you barely have the minimum recommended specs.

1 Like

This is wrong on so many factors…

First of all, I run LE on 8 GB DDR 3 RAM and have no issues with it hugely lagging.
The only lag-spikes come from picking up several items at once or generating those. Which yes… is a optimization venue EHG needs to look into.

Secondly, 8 GB DDR3 or 8 GB DDR5 makes a massive difference. Those lag-spikes are partially the fault of the slow data transfer rate of the older technology, sitting at roughly 1/4th then modern technology.

Next up you’re comparing a game which has high quality textures and tons of details to a game which has far less details in the landscape as well as less intensive effects.

Also a normal OS nowadays does not use 4GB if properly set up. Mine sits at not even 500 MB currently and I can run Steam + my browser while having a Twitch Stream running on the side. To take into consideration… I have around 25 tabs open which cause a massive RAM usage on the side.

Also wrong, it depends entirely on what the machine is doing and if big data dumps for the RAM need to be done at the moment. What it does is increase offloading and inloading times though.

Not even remotely at that setup. The bottleneck of OP’s system is the ages old CPU. Which also aligns with my personal experience.

True!
It will just ignore it since your system outperforms where the bottlenecks are :slight_smile:

When would those situations happen? I personally don’t get down to 20 FPS and my system has vastly less specs then yours.

No… a 10+ year old gaming system is not the norm, never was, never will be. It’s at the hallmark of ‘we stop supporting you entirely’ even. Like my laptop which actually can’t run Steam anymore since the OS is too old and updating wouldn’t be viable with the specs it has. Every darn 400+€ system will outperform that.

If you can’t afford that much after 10 years while keeping solely the GPU updated in-between then you can’t afford a console… or anything else.
Gaming is a ridiculously cheap hobby in the large scale of things.

Minimum specs let you run the game and are guaranteed to do that.
Will you have a great time? Fuck no… you won’t. Not even remotely.

1 Like

ok, cool.

5800X3D, 1080 Ti, 32GB RAM, 1TB WD_SN850 on Gen4 MSI B550 Tomahawk.

2560x1440
Borderless Window (tried Full Screen with no effect on stutters/hangs
Vertical Sync: Off (tried ON with no effect on stutters/hangs)
Limit FPS: Disabled (tried ON with no effect on stutters/hangs)
Master Quality: Medium
Shadow Quality: Medium
Detail Shadows: Disabled
Antialiasing: TAA
Grass Density: Low
Reflexions: Low
Ambient Occlusion: Low
Volumetric Lighting: Very Low
Screen Space Reflections: Very Low
Terrain Quality: Very Low

Camera Smoothing: Off
Screen Shake Mode: Off
Enemies Flash On Hit: Disabled

FPS drops every map at the beginning and sometimes randomly during mob fights.
When it hangs, it goes down to 2-4 FPS and drops to below 40 FPS when it stutters.
During a map, the Max FPS is around 150 and the average around 100.

This behavior does not happen with other games. I tried to reinstall the game multiple times and tried a few versions of Nvidia drivers after cleaning with DDU, but nothing helped.

2 Likes