Cursor and minimap visibility problems

I play a somewhat visually cluttered build (storm totem with blizzard, frost thorn totem, and avalanche), and it can easily result in losing the cursor in the visual mess mid combat.

1. Can we get different cursor options in game? I think a dynamic cursor would work best, where the cursor changes color based on background coloration, to make it always visually distinct.

2. Can we also get a dynamic minimap, where the color varies based on background coloration, to make it more visible? Currently, the coloration on several maps make it very difficult to read the minimap.

3. Can we get an option to hide the minimap entirely? On things like boss fights, we just don’t need it, because the arena is so small, and the minimap just gets in the way.

Please, and thank you.

1 Like

This has been addressed by them before and I don’t think it’s coming soon. They are very aware people want it. In the meantime, suggest you pick up Yolo Mouse from Steam. I would not play this game without it, personally. I hope eventually, I can use an in game option to get a cursor I can see through all the bright sprites my mage types make. Not a fan of having to go 3rd party for something this basic.

Don’t have an opinion on your other thoughts, appreciate you giving them feedback though.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommend on Yolo Mouse. I suppose it’ll have to do for now. I tried a different 3rd party mouse mod called Cursor Node, and it kept giving popups to reaffirm the free trial, while in game, and it didn’t have any dynamic coloration cursors (whereas Yolo Mouse does).

I think the devs need to (and will be forced to) implement the above suggestions, at some point. They designed a game where many, many builds can be incredibly visually dynamic and messy, with all manner of effects, explosions, and AoE spam. This is especially true for spells that fall from the sky (which from certain angles can completely block the player’s view (like Avalanche and Meteor). This causes several problems. 1) It makes it much harder to spot enemy attacks and enemy AoE. 2) It makes it harder to spot enemy movements. 3) It makes the cursor really easy to lose in the visuals. 4) It tanks FPS a lot more than simpler builds (this used to not be a problem in beta, but it’s a problem that’s gotten worse since release and 1.1).

If there are builds which are visually simple and enable the player to see things more clearly, and are just as viable as visually messy builds, then the former will always perform better than the latter. Granted, this is a PvE game, but these are problems the devs will need to address at some point.

1 Like

They do want to. It’s just not an easy feature to implement when the engine isn’t theirs. Mike has said so on his stream before.

On a sidenote, if all you need is cursor size, you can also use windows settings. Making the mouse cursor bigger on windows will also make it bigger on LE.

1 Like

The problem isn’t really the size of the cursor, it’s just trying to find the cursor in the visual clusterf---- that often happens on the screen with some builds, especially in conjunction with enemy spells, attacks, and AoE. The Yolo Mouse Steam mod recommended by BaalMelqart has some good options that can all be color inverted (where it displays the opposite color to the background colors), in addition to size scaling.

In any case, thanks for the heads up on what the devs have said on the subject. I don’t follow this game’s development closely.

1 Like

Yeah, totally agree with you.

-They make boss fights matter and tougher than in games like D4 yet they also have builds where you CANNOT see any boss cues and even on top of that: some boss cues show WELL and some are barely noticeable even ON TOP of your own ability sprites. As things are now, this system makes NO sense to me.

Love 'em, hope they keep going. Also, don’t do things like make basic boss battles to up your gear impossible based on how bright your skill sprites are on the ground.

I use YoloMouse, a steam app that lets you customize your cursor for any game. It’s excellent and only cost a couple dollars. For LE I use a giant white cursor that never seems to get lost, via YoloMouse.

On certain maps, the enemy AoE can almost perfectly blend in with the ground colors, and with my own spells blinding me on top of it, my only safety net is to just run around randomly hoping to avoid the bad stuff while my totems do the work. It can get frustrating, and if I get killed by an unlucky spot, I often just log out for the day, because the game left me zero ability to counter it. This also happens, as you said, with certain boss mechanics being much more subtle than others, making them harder to avoid with visually messy builds.

1 Like