Current Arena Scaling and Possible Unintentional Affects

https://clips.twitch.tv/HotPowerfulGerbilPlanking

So as proof that there is something wrong with Arena scaling this patch, it was complete ResidentSleeper until wave 200, the 50 waves after 200 took as long as the 200 waves to get up to it. Now I understand, a lot of the lower level players etc want Arena to not take as long. But this is not the way to do it. Whether or not the Wisps are bugged, or cold damage is bugged as well, or some enemies were over-tuned due to the heavy multipliers imposed this patch for Arena. We just want some feedback on whether or not this is intentional, as this does not feel intentional. I love you guys! Keep up the good work! AC <3 .
PS. Marsh Beetles too <3
PS.S. Ikelpz says hi!

BTW for this post, this is not me, this is someone else playing but I thought I would try to get some feedback on it.

3 Likes

NO YOU!

1 Like

I personally donā€™t care about arena. Itā€™s such a strange thing to whine about. The ladders are being reset every couple of weeks due to big content patches and the amount of players playing the game right now is so small that being first or last on the ladder means nothing.

I played arena when some players pushed to 1k+ and above. Back then around wave 400 I just gave up because it was such a nonsensical time investment. I wanted to see what all the commotion was about and it just left me cold.

I played arena just yesterday again because I saw some people talking about how difficult it is right now. I intentionally gimped myself with like bellow 500 protections and like 50% GB and like 30% crit avoidance and gave it a go. It was indeed much harder and some mobs were hitting harder than others but overall I found it as boring as ever.

I honestly like how arena is right now. I use it mainly to just either gain a few quick levels after I finish the campaign or to quickly level some new skills I want to try, for that purpose arena is great.

Maybe when the game releases and thereā€™s a larger pool of players the ladder competition might be meaningful but as it is right now, I would honestly prefer if the devs focus on essential things such as class and skill development and performance issues.

You might like the way it is now. How about the people who actually like arena? You do realize there a lot of us, there is even community tournaments going that are based around arena. We would not complain if they left arena untouched instead they broke the whole thing. Getting hit for 1k at wave 250 with full prots or getting hit for 3.7k at wave 350+. What most of the people donā€™t realize is that arena doesnā€™t affect you at all if you canā€™t get to 200+. Its the people who actually push it hard. Personally i am already bored with this patch and canā€™t even play arena without fishing and i am not the only one who is bored.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure I understand. Just like there are people who enjoy arena as the main content of the game there are other people who enjoy the rest. There are even some people that enjoy all the game has to offer, I include myself in this category. However arena balance is not a hill I want to die on simply because it has nothing to offer ( for me ) at higher levels.

I enjoy arena for what it is, a vehicle to help my character do things I want done quickly and stress free. To better understand what I mean Iā€™ll give you a quick example. Say youā€™re in a timeline and your next echo is the boss. If I want to try a new skill out before the boss, I quickly hop in arena, change some skills around, lvl them quick and then go back to the mono boss. Simple isnā€™t it?

And to your point that if Iā€™m not pushing above 200+ wave this whining doesnā€™t affect me I would argue that itā€™s not true. Because this game is so behind in itā€™s schedule and had to be pushed back and will be pushed back again, the devs time is a precious thing. Do they see value in making arena balanced for all classes and specs? I donā€™t know, what I do know is that from my perspective arena is a non factor in this game but from your perspective itā€™s a huge deal.

So what Iā€™m saying is that what you might find crucial or vital for the game there is always someone else that could care less. Itā€™s not about you, me or a specific group of people, it should be about whatā€™s good for the game.

The arena was fine last patch. Everyone who plays arena liked it, begginers and pushers.
They did extra work this patch that ruined it.

Didnā€™t they just changed the scaling so arena ramps up faster? I canā€™t see a bad thing about but the arena is far to mind numbing for myself so this is just a guess without stepping into it.

I just want them to remove the EXP nerf. Itā€™s Beta, weā€™re trying to max out classes/subclasses so we can have a preview of what their optimum ability will be in the final version of the game. If they want to kill EXP in the final release so that people have to grind longer to max out their characters and artificially extend the game in that way, Iā€™m fine with that. It would also facilitate skill switching to a greater degree.

Thats not just what they did.
They made ramp 9% faster yes.

AND they add a MULTIPLIER to all mobs that makes them do up to 10 times the damage more than before past wave 200. This multiplier is bugged and multiplies the previous multiplied values.

Wisps went from hitting me for 100 in 7.8 to 1000 in 7.9. Basically once u reach 200 if you get hit, u die.

Judd said during an interview with Boardman21 that he would like to see Arena runs top out at 300 to balance the time invested vs. competitive aspects of Ladder. The problem is that they havenā€™t quite found the right balance where the hammer kicks in around 200 (e.g. narrowing the window between the best players and others). So, Arena is just flat out harder from almost the get go.

The other design problem is that coupled with the 50% EXP nerf the lesser Arena waves per key affects the viabilty of Arena farming for leveling purposes. Perhaps thatā€™s what they want, but there arenā€™t a ton of great alternatives int his version of the game.

1 Like

Also the multiplier is not working as quoted on the patch notes. So its bugged, thats why people are mad. The entire sacling is not working as intended past 200.

Yeah well shit happens ^^. Theyā€™ll get it working sooner or later and a faster ramp up in difficulty is a good thing from my point of view because playing xyz useless waves untill shit hits the fan is just a waste of time. In theory Iā€™m still happy with a faster ramp up.

Faster ramp is great, less time for me to kill useless waves. Many of us agree it would not matter if the scaling was 20% faster as long as the multipliers go or are fixed in the first place. Last patch wave 500 wisp did 120 damage now wave 170 wisp deals 400 and wave 250 deals 1k damange (80% necro prot) So the issue here is the multipliers and always will be.

1 Like

Sure if there is something unintended in the code fix it. Iā€™m pretty sure theyā€™ll adress it sooner or later but it getā€™s already old when everyone points on the faulty code right now ^^. I think itā€™s okay to not step into the arena for a week or two untill things are fixed.

Yes I get it itā€™s frustrating but better it happens in Beta then in the future :).

1 Like

If the multipliers are bugged they will get fixed. However have you ever considered that these multipliers being crazy after wave 200 is in fact intended? I have also watched the interview and the guy was pretty clear that he wants people to reach around wave 300.

If they remove these multipliers then youā€™ll be able to once again go crazy high, which is what they are actively trying to stop. I am sure a few people in the community that have been playing this game since itā€™s inception have gathered over time the resources to make perfect or as close to perfect gear as one can. Then they go in arena and push almost until your brain stops working. How do you stop these kind of players from pushing endlessly. I would strongly be in favor of an arena wave cap. Itā€™s not a perfect solution but itā€™s middle ground.

EHG has actively tried to stop this since in my opinion, I donā€™t know their reasoning, it promotes an unhealthy gaming experience and not fun at the same time. And Iā€™m not saying not fun for people who enjoy spending 6+ hours pushing arena to stupid number of waves, but not fun for the rest of us. I know I donā€™t want to sit 4 hours to see how hard I can push waves.

As a closing note, I am in favor of these multipliers as long as they are not bugged.

We have done a bit of math before we talked ^^

Also, the rank 1 push last patch with no bugged builds took 3 hours, and thats the absolute 1%.
The rank 1 push this patch with no bugged builds took more than 4 hours. Wave number does not equal less time.

They made arena slower. cuz u have to play like a fucking pussy and run for 10 minutes becouse everything 1 shots you due to this bug.

This is an issue that only affects 200+ waves, so please keep the topic about that.
If you like to level skills in arena, you can do that regardless of this topic

So I checked the last patch rank 1 push and itā€™s a 1k wave clear. Is that what you are talking about? Did that 1k wave clear took 3 hours to do?

Is there any video evidence of it? Iā€™m asking because I am very intrigued to see the build in action and how it managed to obliterate mobs each wave so fast.

That build was bugged doing 700% more damage than intended. It was a bug.

Of course there is evidence, and how to do it? Have a good build, GG gear and 70k arena wave experience.
This was rank 1 last patch with no bugs:

Can be done in under 3h off stream not talking to chat.

Stopping people from expressing themselves by taking the game seriously will only hurt the games longevity. That is like saying, ā€œHey, we hate our players, we do not want them to push because we are too lazy to balance after a certain point.ā€ Why punish the people who take your game the most seriously? By far Arena pushers are one of the smallest echelons of players, but that does not mean they should be shit on because they take the game to a different level than people who mindlessly grind through ARPGs without having to think because their real life takes way too much mental capacity for them to actually try to put effort into the game for more than 5 minutes. Thats also like saying I dont like these Arena Pushers cause they make me feel worse at the game.

1 Like

Exactly, why does anyone care if a no lifer like me likes to play alot. it wont affect nobody but me.
The casuals loved arena in 7.8 and VisionGL tournaments are a huge proof of it. Good balance for everyone.

1 Like