Crash when entering Liath Road campaign zone

LEbugreport.zip (23.4 KB)

leveling a new character, twice in a row the game crashed when entering the Liath Road zone from Lake Liath. didn’t have this crash when i most recently levelled (i believe it was patch 0.7.10 or 0.7.10b). since it happened in one session, then again when i reloaded the game and ran back through Lake Liath to the next zone, i included both Player.log and Player-prev.log in my zip file. there was no crash file in the temp directory.

the crash happens before the waypoint just inside the zone activates, so i’m currently soft-locked on progressing this character. :frowning:

edit: after posting, i decided to test something… i had been using my wireless headset on the previous 2 crashes, so i switched back to my speakers, and the game didn’t crash when i entered Liath’s Road. no idea why that worked. i guess i’ll leave the report up since it happened twice in a row. :man_shrugging:

edit 2: did some other things for a while after figuring out the weirdness with the audio output i mentioned in my first edit, then came back to the game with my headset on. after loading the game and TPing from end of time to Liath’s Road, i had the same crash as before. switched audio output, loaded the game, it worked as it should. i played with my speakers until i reached the waypoint in Liath’s Tower, quit the game, switched output to headset, loaded the game and TPed to the tower. had no issues progressing through the tower. when i returned via the door to Liath’s Road, the game froze again, same as all the other times.

i really have no idea why this is happening… i’ve used this headset for months and i’m fairly sure i was using it on my last run through this area on a different character (spellblade). i suppose i should try updating the drivers for the headset as my next step. computers are dumb.

Okay… that is quite strange. I was coming here to post about the same issue - though sometimes it would work fine in Liath’s Road and sometimes not - however it would always crash when I enter Thetima.

It just so happened that I also sometimes use a wireless headset as well. I went ahead and switched it over to speakers now and I have been no issues going in and out of these two zones so far.

I am curious which headset you have though. Mine is a Corsair Void and it appears that the drivers are fully up to date. Though I will double check again shortly.

Thanks though for the odd work-around!

very strange, but at least it’s not just something on my end causing issues. my headset is a Steel Series Arctis 7, so it doesn’t seem to be specifically related to the brand. glad the workaround helped!

Similar issue here as well. Game would crash whenever entering Thetima zone. Unplugged headset (wired logitech), and was able to enter zone without issue. Thanks for the suggestion!

Are your headphones usb or 3.5mm headphone jacks?

This is a really interesting work around and I’m curious to know if it’s consistently one type or the other.

here’s some more weird data for you:

i’ve leveled 2 rogues through the story since 0.8 and both of them crashed in these same zones (Liath Road and Thetima)… and in both cases i was not using my headphones. on the first character, after trying again a couple of times without changing anything and crashing each time, i tried just switching my audio output with the hotkey (as described in my earlier post) before walking through the zone transition… and it didn’t crash. the audio was still coming out of my speakers, since the game doesn’t change outputs unless i restart it, but just switching my computer to the other output seemed to work?! :exploding_head:

on the second character, i tried doing that pre-emptively, and it seemed to prevent the crash in liath road, but then i crashed entering Thetima. after that i just changed to my headset before restarting and iirc, made it through both zones without crashing. (btw, the crash in Thetima was new to me. never had it happen before 0.8).

it definitely seems related to sound drivers, but not necessarily headphones. i’ll be leveling a 3rd rogue soon, and i’ll plan to hang around these zones for a while testing different methods to see if i can collect any more relevant data.

In my case: USB wired Logitech using default Microsoft windows driver 10.0.19041.388. Unplugging headset just prior to zone transition was enough to prevent crash.

Thanks, next time, give just changing the audio device as described in the past above and see if that does it too? I’m thinking that it has less to do with the headphones specifically and more that changing the device is the fix. Unplugging the headphones just causes the device to change.

It’s as you suspected. I first verified I could recreate, then was able to prevent crash by changing audio output device just prior to zone transition:

• Leave as Logitech USB Headset - crash
  • Switch from Logitech USB Headset to Realtek Digital Audio as output device - no crash
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.