Crafting Changes coming to Eternal Legends Update (0.8.4)

They said items will not break anymore

break your item: I meant end of crafting, it is now equal to non-damaging fracture, if I’m not mistaken. It is still not a good feeling when you do only 2 craftings and you are done.

1 Like

Getting to 0 FP makes the item read as “blablabla Fractured blablabla”, i.e. 0 FP = “Fractured”.

2 Likes

Frustration? Frustration is when you expect something and that doesn’t happen. Like I had an exalted item and fructered it on first crafting try with 98% success chance. Not even 1 craft done! That was frustration. With the new system you clearly see whether you can craft or not. And if you can it is 100% success always. Can you call it frustration?

Crafting should be RNG because otherwise there’s no sense in it. The system that is going to be released in 0.8.4 (imo) hits the right balance between random and determinated outcome.

What wouldn’t make you frustrated? Getting t20 on every craft? Or maybe t18? Please tell us. LE is biased towards crafting as is and you want to make it even more crafting dependant.

1 Like

Please stop writing shit when you dont understand my post.

Yeah let’s call names if you don’t know how to answer a simple question . Again - What wouldn’t make you frustrated? Getting t20 on every craft? Or maybe t18? t17?

1 Like

so true, and the fact that magic items were “better” as a drop than rares was something i noticed early on.

The rare loot rewards at the end of monos were almost useless and i would just avoid them and go for glyphs/gold/exp. That seemed very wrong.

Exalted > rare > magic > white

I don’t suggest to remove RNG from crafting, but range 1 - 20 looks too big, when you compare it to number 30. You can get an item with 2 only improvements or with 10+, thats too various. Maybe range for example 5 - 15 would be better or you can adjust crafting potential number, I don’t know what would be “balanced”, but right now it is more on RNG side in my opinion,

1 Like

Mike did say that the numbers are still being messa… er… massaged… :wink:

I’m not really understanding the glyph of order, so say i got a t4 health between 40-60 and i had a 59. will that then get carried to t5 health and be 1 off the maximum of the t5 range?

Will all our existing glyphs be turned into the new glyphs?

Are we able to use multiple glyphs/runes while crafting or is it still only 1 at a time like before?

soz if these questiong have been answered already

1 Like

if the lowest is 5, then a normal item can only be crafted 2-3times…

I dont understand why this is better.

4 affixes having their individual chance success% base on random stability VS 4 affixes sharing and fighting for a common forging potential pool, which is a new RNG itself on top of another RNG of how much it will deduct from potential??

Random means “theres a chance”, the new crafting means nada no chance once u r out of potential.
I rather chance personally.

Yes, the new crafting is even more deterministic and definitely feel “less bad” but also definitely lost those “wow” moments when you get lucky with the current crafting system.

Anyways whats done is done, nothings gonna change at this point. Just gonna suck it up since im excited for other stuff in this patch.

Totally. At least someone is counting instead of blindly saying everything is good.

Let’s take the extremes.

I start with a 4 affix item of stats I generally want (i.e. not useless like dodge on a non-dodge build or something). Say, they are all T2, and I have 27 FP.

I could literally get all 4 affixes from T2 to T5 (that’s 4 * 3 = 12 upgrades) if I roll nothing but 1s and 2s on the FP loss (with an occasional 3).

Conversely, I could roll 3 10s in a row and have a mediocre item.

As previously stated by Mike, the range of FP loss (for example, a 1-10 range) is not a flat distribution. EHG is implying that that 1-10 range is weighted at different tier levels (or maybe even at the overall item “total Tier” level) so that at first you have a higher chance to roll those 1s and 2s & less chance at 9s and 10s. But then as the overall tier of the item rises, the weighting of the distribution either evens out or perhaps moves towards the high end of the range, making a T20 item still be as rare as it was before.

edit: if its not clear, let me make something up (not official!!!)

Item overall Tier 1-5 distribution on a 1-10 FP roll: 20%/20%/15%/15%/10%/5%/5%/4%/3%/3%
Explanation: if the overall tier level of the item is still low, you have a 20% chance on losing 1 or 2 FP each, 15% to lose 3 or 4 FP, and then less and less chance to lose a lot of FP.

Item overall Tier 6-10 distribution on a 1-10 FP roll: 15%/15%/15%/15%/10%/10%/5%/5%/5%/5%
Explanation: you can see you have less chance of rolling low (but its still better chance than rolling high)

Item overall Tier 11-15 distribution on a 1-10 FP roll: 5%/5%/10%/10%/10%/10%/10%/10%/15%/15%
Explanation: you can see you have more chance of rolling high now

Item overall Tier 16-20 distribution on a 1-10 FP roll: 3%/3%/4%/5%/5%/10%/15%/15%/20%/20%
Explanation: very likely to get those high loss of FP.

Also, the rolls don’t stay 1-10, they increase too, but it was easier for my example to show just 10 positions for comparison.

Your numbers don’t make this more clear for people oblivious to the situation i think.

On a different note, i thought about the crafting since the release of this post, and i’ve come to the conclusion that it might not be an improvement from the actual one.

Having blues on the ground be super relevant if you got lucky was a real feel good. I can’t name any ARPG where blues are not (almost always) hidden.

The whole range (even counting the weightings) of forging potential seems to be way too wide to not feel like the same as before ? If i can roll between 1 and 20 on a 30 FP item, i could get unlucky and brick (because they can’t be modified any further) my item in two tries ? And if there is weighting, why the need of such a wide range ? Psychologically it is not pleasant to deal with.

We stray further away from the incremental upgrades i liked so much in L.E. Now you want to use heavy RNG glyphs and whatnot on a rare to get lucky with the affixes whilst still having quite some high Forging Potential. Before you could just start on a blue or well rolled rare and get something quite good with it.

Do i want something POEesque where I want to annul / chaos / fracture an affix and try to craft further ? or something like build my item layer by layer (like it was before or lil’ bit like harvest in PoE) ?

Those are my fears, and maybe i’m wrong. Can’t tell before trying the patchnote.

1 Like

Well, again, we don’t know the actual weighting (my post was an utterly random, made up example). And we don’t know what the ranges will be (1-10 for T1 and 1-20 for T4 is what EHG posted in this thread), but Mike said all the numbers (weighting and ranges) are still under testing and not final.

I think that we will not really get completely away from “bricking” items a lot before getting “lucky” and getting a T17+ item here and there. If that wasn’t the case, then the loot hunt aspect of the game would peter out quick and players would get bored.

As it should be. My thinking was more like “Do i want to get my T17+ item from a rare or blue when i manage to succeed such a craft ?” “Do i want it to come from a lucky base i could improve upon, or just got randomly lucky with a glyph of chaos or rune of removal ?”

I’m talking more about gearing philosophy than actual odds of getting a good item. They might have changed the way to get to a good item, for the better or the worse.

I get you.

In a way, I do think magic items being literally better items for crafting than rare items was just wrong. So, I agree with the idea of making rares better, and exalted even better still. Makes sense to me. Probably should’ve been that way all along.

These are the kinds of changes Beta is truly for, so I really support the Devs a ton when they bite the bullet and are like “Yeah, that didn’t work the way we wanted, so we re-designed it.” That’s the kind of dedication to “getting it right” that makes a really good game, so for me, this change (regardless of the specifics) shows that EHG and LE are going to be really successful.

3 Likes

agree, I am happy playing it and waiting it to grow big enough.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - these developers are insanely intelligent in terms of game design. I mean, we see games like Diablo come out which is $60 and has very little innovation… but a game that was a passion project, and now is not even considered a ‘AAA’ title is innovating in every sphere of the ARPG design. I mean, these employees approach every problem with the right mindset. It’s a joy to watch.

That’s how I read it.

That’s what they’ve done before when they convert affixes, so a reasonable assumption.