Corruption Lowering Difficulty Suggestion

Thanks for all the conversation on the topic, I think that is the most beneficial way to help the devs decide if it’s worth their attention.

My original post was based on the basis that I had once done this and gotten a little too high for my (then) current build where I still needed better gear that I was farming for. Trying to bring the corruption down a bit was definitely too difficult since I then couldn’t beat Orobyss to do that so I had to just move on to another timeline.

I have not done that since but thought it would be a great idea to have the ability to either have an alternative to reducing the corruption or some way to completely reset it. Resetting it of course comes with losing all the benefits you have worked so hard to gain in raising the corruption and you’d have to start that all over again.

I know people have different playstyles and are more adept at planning and playing the games than others but thought it was at least worth raising the question.

This is already something that’s been discussed during the dev streams and Mike did mention that they do plan to have a way for you to reduce your corruption a lot easier in the future.

1 Like

while I agree with this, I could think in a different situation…
Sometimes a player will increase corruption to test the build limits, and its not a mistake. I think the player should be given choices to play and have fun in inumerous ways, and the game should not have such a heavy penalty for some choices… Some people here are being extremists and are not picturing the whole situation. Its not just a problem in the person playing…
Lets say the player farm comfortably doing 500+ corruption, and he increases to 700+, his build allows it, he want to test it, but doing 700+ his farm is not very good, he can do some echoes, but he dies a lot more, and he decides he wants go back to 500+, thats the case where I think the system fails to give a fair option to this player.

Just like Vapourfire said:

But my point is, that you will not raise the corruption from 500 too 700 within 2 or 3 Shade Kills, it will take quiet a while and while increasing the corruption you need to continue completing regualr echoes.

While slowly increasing the corruption you will notice if the difficulty is getting uncomfortable for your character /build.

Especially when you are uncertai about how much corruption your character can handle you should be extra carefull to not increase the corruption in too big steps.

If someone has pushed high corruption intentionally, but then decided to respec into another build, that new build is not capable to reduce corruption then, cause it’s weaker.
Reducing corruption is way too slow. I’ve looked at my web just now, the closest to the center discovered shade is 10 echos away and gives -4 corruption.
There should be an easier way to reduce/control corruption. I would prefer a simple slider. Just add time travel to fit thematically.
This idea can be developed into something like a new boss, god, that tests your capabilities and moves you into appropriate mono difficulty. This would also solve the opposite problem, of corruption being too slow to rise on every mono, especially for new builds with overpowered gear.

4 Likes

Lowering corruption could just be another node in the network. Alternatively, they could place two different dots on the Reset nodes to where one is to increase corruption and the other is to decrease it. Maybe if you decrease it, you get a Tome of Experience for every three to five Gaze of Orobyss you currently have, something like that, at the end if you beat the boss without dying. This would give you an incentive to stack it up a bunch of times before you attempt it.

Maybe the boss of the decrease corruption option could also be something like “Envoy of Orobyss” that has some of the same moves and abilities that Orobyss has, but with less health, so the game teaches you how to play against Orobyss a little bit before you get to him. That would give the player a way to train for future challenges.

And here we are :pray::pray::scream::scream:

News in monos system updated just now. We have a boss mono for decreasing corruption now.

1 Like

Is it different to the boss mono for decreasing corruption that we’ve always had?

Yes, it says it lets you choose an amount, small, medium or all. So you can beat it and lower from 400 to 100 instantly on empowered.

I assume it’s not been posted about in #news.

Edit: Oh, patch notes…

Edit #2: I can live with that. So from the sound of it, Shade’s always increase corruption, no matter how close or how high your corruption. Hopefully a good thing if it allows for faster corruption increasing.

No, they only cut the shades that would lower corruption anyway.

They didn’t change anything else about shades or how much corruption they give.

Actually just shades that gives bonus corruption ( when you have other timelines that are at higher corruption) got a little increase in these values

Only the bonus corruption from gaze was increased by 10%

Which is neglectable.

Each Gaze gave 8 corruption with diminishign return starting at the 4th.

Not sure how the rounding goes, but even when rounding up that is minimal and will not feel any different.

Its now probably something like 9, 18, 27…
Instead of 8, 16, 24

Ops, I misread that part.

What is the general consensus around community, it should have higher values?
(The base corruption)

I think there is never a “general consensus” in video game communities. :sweat_smile:

But if you ask me, corruption gaining is actually not that bad right now, only corruption itself is not in a great spot.

But if they really want to make corruption increasing easier I personally would increase the corruption that top end shades (the oens that currently give +15-18 corruption) and make Shades significantly more challenging, depending on how much corruption they give.

Currently there is no noticeable difference between a Shade that gives +1 and oen that gives +18 corruption.

Yeah , :joy::joy:
But you have put it nicely, I think that would be simple but yet great changes to slightly give more corruption when you beat the most distant orobyss. And also make them more difficult. You have though it very well.

1 Like

IMO, this whole corruption system could and probably should be streamlined considerably.
Do we really need to unlock the same corruption levels for every timeline?
Do we need it as granular as atm, where you can increase it by like 8?

My suggestion would be:

• Have an interface to select the corruption level in steps of 50 for each timeline
  • Killing a Timeline Endboss/Shade increases your maximum corruption level globally by something like 50 or even 100
  • Gaze mechanic obsolete

The devs stated the monolotith endgame corruption should be arround 300 so i can’t tell what’s an okay value and what’s not because if they truely intended 300 to be the new 1000 their balancing is all over the place and some builds are 3-10 times to strong ^^.

If 300 corruption is indeed the value they aim for then getting 9 points is nice if 800 - 1000 is still the edgame with fully fledged builds then the numbers need more tweeking because it suxx to play “underlevel” content again and again just to get into the intresting parts of the game.

We more predicted it than asked for it, haha.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.