Controller targeting: Better target highlighting + "smart" targets for certain skills

Last Epoch has some rudimentary controller support right now, and I know there are some planned improvements in regards to how they handle menus, etc.

But IMO a bigger deal is in-combat usage, specifically the way the controller handles targeting. It’s not super clear right now what’s supposed to happen. I think it’s vaguely “in the direction of the left thumb stick”, but not deterministically so (i.e. the distance of the spell isn’t clear, and it’s not always the closest mob in that direction).

Diablo IV and PoE handle this, I believe, by generally targeting the closest mob in the direction the character is currently facing, possibly with an additional “lock on target” button to keep focus on a boss or whatever.

Can we have something similar, where the targeted mob follows some clear rule (like the closest one you’re facing) and have a visual highlight for them?

Too often, I end up miscasting because I can’t tell where it’s going, and the spell either lands behind the mob altogether or just disappears (offscreen? not sure).

There’s a similar situation with minions, especially coupled with spells of low visual clarity, like Dread Shade. Not only can I not tell which minion it’s hovering above, I often can’t tell if it’s activated at all. I know there is a small visual indicator that it’s active, but in the heat of battle it’s still impossible to accurately re-cast it with a controller.

It would be nice of similar skills targeting allies (minions, companions, and other players) could try to guess the most sensible target given a direction, e.g. “the most powerful minion within range/in the direction the player is facing/whatever” before trying to cast on the ground, attaching to nothing. If I have a Wraithlord active, for example, it would be great to be able to reliably target him instead of one of the smaller wraiths.

Some MMOs have a way to cycle between grouped allies/minions and focus-lock them; that would work too, but might be overkill here.

Anyway, I don’t know the best options, but at the very least, some way to auto-lock on the closest target or minion (with highlighting) would be very welcome. Maybe that could be the default behavior, and there could be a separate toggle for ground-targeting?

Thank you!

1 Like

Seconding this.

It would also be nice to be able to change the behavior of the right stick to cycle through targets while in combat. Stick mouse is only useful for UI stuff.

Right stick to cycle targets directionally + RS click to lock/unlock would be a vast improvement.

Also in agreement. It’s made playing my Lich on the Legion Go almost impossible, since Drain Life just targets an area at the edge of the screen, so the second enemies are closer, I have no way to target them with the spell.