Confusion on Swarmblade and Viper's Call using Serpent Strike's Tree

Ok, so my confusion comes in because my understanding of the interaction

Viper’s Call allows Armblade Slash to gain all the benifits from the Nodes in Serpent Strike’s Tree.
When you attack, it still uses armblade Slash, It does not use Serpent Strike at all in the attack.
Which is why you do no get Serpent Strikes Poison Chance, and Poison Duration. And also do not get the Dex scaling that Serpent Strike has.

But the Unique belt Viper Tail which can make a snake on kill with Serpent strike still makes the snake.

Am i misunderstanding how Viper’s call works, is the belt bugged and shouldn’t be working?

It counts as using SerpentStrike, but only get’s it’s skill spec tree, but not it’s baseline functionality (like the inherent poison chance/duration (and also polearm requirement))

If that is true, that is the most confusing way to implement this.

the wording says it gets the tree,
it doesn’t say it’s replaced by Serpent Strike.
It does get replaced by serpent strike,
but doesn’t act like serpent strike for bonus
but does act like serpent strike for other effects.

The belt gives you a stat that is checked in the serpent strike mutator (the thing that applies all the selected effects to serpent strike when you use it). When you use armblade slashes, in its mutator, it checks to see if you have the node which makes it apply serpent strike. If you do, it runs the serpent strike mutator on armblade slashes. So it gets everything that serpent strike would have gotten.

This might be an oversight and I’ll double check that today.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.