Confused at how to use Volitile Reversal-- only a 2sec window to make a decision?

What the recommended way to use this?

the game is so fast how so you figure out when to activate this with only a 2 second past window to travel to?

This thing either warps into trouble IE pack of mobs/spire pools/etc, or if i use it when im taking too much damage, i get reverted to the point where im still almost dead.

The most popular use is to recover mana after using it on a big attack or spell. Using VR to recover health is more dangerous, as you pointed out. The other use is to cause enemies to take more damage when they are hit with the void rifts generated by VR, especially if planning to use that same big attack or spell again immediately.

So there are passive nodes that allow you to increase the window to 3 and 4 seconds if you wish.

The number one reason that almost 70% of sentinel builds are using VR to push high corruption and the arena ladder is the 30% increased damage taken for 4 seconds after using VR, make VR create a rift at both take-off and destination and keeping the duration at 2 seconds to minimize clunkyness. These rifts overlap and give a 60% more multiplier to damage taken, and with enough attack speed and the -300% cooldown node, you can recast it before the initial one runs out.

As for a more casual playthrough, I wouldn’t even bother with it due to how clunky it is to use during monos. If health regeneration is your primary concern, leech is a phenomenal way to survive almost anything, and is readily available on VK passive tree, anomaly, Rive, gloves affix, Bleeding Heart unique amulet just to name a few. As little as 10% can be extremely beneficial.

1 Like

As other have mentioned, you usually use VR for everything else that it does, and not the teleporting aspect.

The one occasion that I found useful is for dodging the lagoon sweeping beam. You run away from the beam, wait for it to move over where you used to be, and press VR to dodge.

thanks all very appreciated

WHAT? The damage multiplier stacks? I knew Volatile is a must for most Sentinel builds because of the damage multiplier, but I didn’t know it STACKS.

1 Like

I can’t for sure guarantee that two different casts done before the 4 second duration runs out stacks, but two overlapping rifts from the same cast certainly seems to. The damage spikes seem higher than 30% judging by hand, but I obviously can’t guarantee it 100%.

Just the overlapping rifts is crazy enough. Multiple casts stacking I actually feel is ok because it takes a lot more tweaking to get VR cooldown under 4 second anyway.

I tested it with 1 stack of Time Rot and CDR gear. Each Rift of Volatile Reversal gives 30% increased damage taken. But on 2s CD you can have 200% uptime and it stacks additive with itself. Anomalys Mark of Rot also says “increased damage taken” and also stacks additive with Harbinger of Dust, but does not stack with itself.
I also tested Food for Wyrms and that is indeed a multiplier, but does not stack with itself.

BTW with Volatile reversal on 2s CD you can constantly teleport between two places, which could be a bug, since you should be traveling back in time forever. EDIT: this time travel assumption is possibly a fallacy due to being a non participating observer and the loop most likely correct.

1 Like

The problem of Volitile Reversal is that it doesn’t show where you were 2 seconds ago.
Most people only use it for the damage buff not for the movement.
It would be nice if there’s an indicator showing where you were.

1 Like

VR helps my single target a lot but I’ve also reversed out of mistakes on bosses that didn’t quite kill me. I leave the health restore even though it slows my CD.

This is the main reason I didn’t like using VR. I ended up killing myself multiple times not knowing where I was 2 seconds ago. (As I type this it sounds like a skill issue lol!)

It happened to me as well(teleporting right into Lagon’s beam). Most people avoid this by standing in the same place for 2 seconds.

1 Like