Comparing weapons and DPS

Really enjoying the game, on my 3rd character (a werebear!) and marveling at how smooth the gameplay is.
I still can’t figure out how to easily see if a weapon is an upgrade without equipping it and looking at the basic attack dps (which may or may not be accurate?).
Am I understanding the gear system right? Compared to other Arpgs, the weapons don’t have its own DPS but only modify the attack skill or spell. Initially I just looked at the first number (weapon speed) before I realised I got it wrong.
Is there a way to quickly compare weapons and also a good basic gearing guide? TIA :slight_smile:

It’s not easy because it depends on what damage you deal.
Imagine you use a Cold spell. You have one weapon that boosts Spell damage and the other one that boosts Cold damage. In that case, the comparison is not straightforward. Even more if it’s a weapon with also Melee damage and you also have a Melee skill. Think also about Damage over Time versus Elemental Damage over Time for example.
You have to look at all this. What damage you inflict and how you inflict it. I’m not sure there is a “magic formula” to let you quickly evaluate a weapon.

I get what you are saying. But currently the comparison offers no help because it is merely a wall of text for what the new item has or doesn’t have over the equipped one.
Would it help to add the basic attack DPS score to the comparison? It may or may not include some affixes but at least will give us a basis. I have looked at a weapon that seemed OK from the affixes but got a shock at how low the DPS score is when I equipped it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.