Community Game Guide

Yeah this is really awesome! Just want to thank @AndrewTilley for this. Great work!!

:heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Just added the Rogue class to the Dexterity attribute chapter :wink:
Added a sentence about different affix range values

1 Like

Added Critical Vulnerability to 4.13 Critical Strikes & 4.18 Ailments

1 Like

This is a very impressive post with a massive amount of time invested, have you thought about linking this and updating the Wiki website? The amount of technical knowledge and game guide in this post is certainly under appreciated hidden in a single title line among hundreds of forum post.

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words. I was recently contacted by fellow forum user Destroyermaker and he has used much of the information found in this thread (which is mostly taken from the in-game Game Guide) as the basis for a newly formed wiki that can be viewed here.

Updating the previous wiki would probably be the ideal thing to do, though it would also be a gargantuan task. There is a lot of information there that I have no idea how to update. I assume it must had been datamined at the time.

However, it’s something I’ll consider possibly doing in the future. In the meantime I’ll continue to add this thread and keep it up-to-date with any patch changes.

I think the forum should get a designated “community effort” section, where stuff like this is very well placed, together with tons of other stuff, content creators or community members did.

I suggested this already here.

This suggestion was mainly due to the new forum restrictions, which makes keeping posts up to date impossible.

Updated with all content changes made to the in-game Game Guide for patch 0.8.1. I also fixed some minor mistakes, and added updated images where necessary.

3 Likes

Hi and thx for the great guide.

Few questions:

• in 5.3 you wrote

so does it mean that the example skill will continue to ignite even after it’s damage converted from fire?

• In 5.4

If you had “+10 spell fire damage” from your passives, 12.5 fire damage would be added to Fireball, while 60 fire damage would be added to Meteor.

So the “+spell damage” always go in percents or there’s a typo?

1 Like

Ailments (& their chance to proc) are independent of the element the skill does. If you have % chance to ignite a cold skill will proc an ignite.

Flat added spell damage is modified by the spell’s added damage effectiveness. Fireball has 125% added damage effectiveness, so +10 fire spell damage gets added to fireball as 10*1.25 = 12.5 fire damage.

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words. I see Llama8 has already answered your questions, but I’ll just expand a little further on that first question.

So say you have the Lightning Blast (LB) skill and take the ‘Volatile Lightning’ node within it that adds shock chance to LB. Also, lets say you have gear that adds shock chance. So your LB hits will use the combined shock chance of the skill and the gear.

Now lets say you take the ‘Supercharged Floes’ node that converts LB to cold.

https://imgur.com/vta97bm

This node only states that it converts the skills’ shock nodes to chill. So the shock chance node of LB will be converted to chill while the shock chance on your gear will remain as shock chance. So your LB hits will both chill and shock the enemies.

So now we’ll use a second example that will convert that shock chance. If you take the skill Surge and it’s ‘Flaming Surge’ node you’ll notice that it says it converts ‘all sources’ of shock chance to ignite chance.

https://imgur.com/gEBLdR7

So, in this example, any shock chance from the skill and your gear (passives, etc) will be converted to ignite chance…which goes back to the original quote “unless stated otherwise”, and this is one of those times.

1 Like

Hey @AndrewTilley!

Recently I stumbled upon some questions regarding ailment damage and the scaling with skills.

In this guide I couldn’t find info about that particular topic (did I miss it?)

From memory it is this:
If a skill applies an ailment like bleed, the bleed damage is scaling with attributes that also scale the skills damage. So for Forge Strike, every bleed stack I apply with that skill will also have increased damage 4% for every point in strength I have. This is also stated in the wiki, but not here or in the ingame guide.

Now I think I remember seeing it mentioned that also damage modifiers of skills (that do not specify a hit) scale ailment damage as well. This means any “Skill X does more damage” nodes also scale the ailment damage applied with that skill.

Is this correct?

I hesitate to answer questions regarding that because I’m not 100% sure.

Maybe we could also add the correct mechanic to the guide.

Cheers mate!

1 Like

Yes, that is correct, I’ve been saying it for some time now (after the devs mentioned it on discord)…

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s a great series of comments on Discord regarding this subject (which is what I assume @Llama8 is also referencing):

Discord_User
I was under the impression ailment damage is completely separate from the damage that applied it? But does the ailment damage actually scale with damage increases to the base ability?

Reimerh QArts
The damage of the ailment isn’t affected by how much damage the hit/ability dealt. Only if there are nodes inside a skill tree that says “Fireball deals X% more damage”, then ailments applied by Fireball will gain the damage modifiers of that node as well.

Llama8
When did ailments proc’d by a skill get modified by skill damage from within the skill tree?

Reimerh QArts
That’s always been the case I believe. It’s the same as when Intelligence increases the damage of Fireball, by default, Intelligence will also increase ignite damage, applied by Fireball.

Mike_Weicker
You almost have to think of the Fireball as a character with stats. When you cast Fireball you pass along your stats to it. So when Fireball creates an ailment (ignite), it has those same stats. If you have increased fire damage, the Fireball has increased fire damage so when it ignites something, that ignite deals increased damage.

Discord_User
Will spell damage boost only Fireball damage or ignite damage of Fireball too?

Reimerh QArts
Ignite isn’t a spell, so it won’t get affected by spell damage modifiers.
Intelligence is a generic modifier, so it will affect all parts of the Fireball’s damage. Spell damage only affects spell damage, which doesn’t include ignite.

• Generic damage modifiers will affect the fire damage of both Fireball and Ignites by Fireball.
  • Fire damage modifiers will also affect both parts.

But yes, I’ve certainly considered adding this information to this game guide. I was hoping it would eventually get included in the in-game guide so I could just copy it. :laughing:

3 Likes

Hi, first off, thanks for the awesome job!

Secondly, could you explain (or just tell me) how much Block Effectiveness i need to cap out my block damage mitigation against lvl 100 enemies? I tried your formula but I can’t seem to get it to work (math is not my strongest suit).

1 Like

5k block effectiveness is 70% mitigation and 6k is 73.7% that’s about as high you’ll get.

1 Like

Ok, thank you :slight_smile:

Thank you. Also, much of this guide is directly taken from the in-game Game Guide (including the formulas) which can be accessed by pressing the [G] key.

Beyond what FoE has already said, you can visit this community run website [by Tunk] to visually see what your block mitigation will be at differing area level’s and block effectiveness amounts. It’s an excellent resource.

thank you very much, this was a great help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Updated with all patch changes, including all images. It’s mostly been up-to-date for a while now, minus the Arena section, but that’s finally been completed as well.

3 Likes

Hey, thank for this amazing compilation.

I found an error in 6.2:

This is not true. There were some dicussion on the discord about experiences players made and what Mike said. As far as I know, the result is:

The damage per second of a single ailment is not changed when increasing its duration.

This makes a big difference compared to the statement that the damgedoes not change. If the total damage would be constant a duration increase wouldn’t have any effect on damage dealt in an infinite fight besides for poison where the damage profits from the more stacks of shred which are inherent to poison.
In practive a duration increase extends an ailment keeping the damage per second constant. There are no breakpoints as fas as I know and in the end duration increase is similar to a more multiplier in infinite (or at least long enough) fights.

3 Likes