Closed Multiplayer Testing Begins | Development Update

This is such amazing news along with some huge updates/improvements! Really excited for the future of the game and definitely looking forward to multiplayer!

I hope you didn’t forget about blocked subclasses. :roll_eyes:

Looking forward all the updates!

Hello, thanks for the update,
I have just a few questions about dev process,
Almost 3 years ago, Unity released ECS (including C# Job Systems and Burst compiler) providing high performance code execution and data oriented way to create games, making profit of multithreading, enhancing both code clarity and greatly optimizing performance (specially when using a large amount of gameobjects entities), still a low amount of game developpers really using it, but as a game developper that can really take advantage of such technology, is it planned to take advantage of these new features (if they’re not already in use) or it require a too much amount of work and can’t be done at this point of the developement ?

Thank you.

Looking great. Are testers allowed to show multiplayer footage?

1 Like

Community Testers have a signed NDA so no footage.

Sounds great. Again, fantastic of you guys letting us know what’s going on and where you stand. Looking forward to it!

Cant speak for the devs on this ECS specifically…

But I can mention that similar questions have been asked in the past - like if LE will support AMD FSR or Nvidia DLSS and other new Unity features like supporting the new ARM Mac chips…

The version of unity that LE currently uses is 2019.4 LTS so the devs are limited to this version and what it supports… anything that requires a newer version of Unity potentially will have issues unless its backwards compatible. In response, the devs have indicated (about 18 months ago) that its not impossible, but that upgrading to a newer version of unity to enable then to use newer features etc, could take them about a year of dev time which they didnt have.

This may have changed since, but only they can say.

Amazing. I’m super hyped and looking forward to the future of this game.

new epoch begin :wink:

It’s great your are working in the “combat feel”. No doubt a complex topic but important one.

Many hours in this game has lead to this key moment… I can not wait for this to be here

1 Like

The short answer is that we use some of it.

Lots of times when we get access to new features like these, you either need to start over or do huge amounts of refactoring. So we have to weigh the power of the feature against the time to implement it. They are also locked behind unity version upgrades which take massive time investments to get integrated. That investment comes in many forms, from dev time to convert the code to QA who would have to go through every section of the game with a fine tooth comb.

So with all this time required, do we delay the game to get these features? Well it depends but the payoff needs to be immense for us to even consider it at this point. Sometimes you can cut down on this time by pulling one piece of an update to get that individual feature but this is also risky because you essentially end up with a non-standard version of unity.

I imagine many other studios are in a similar situation. I feel like we will see more games taking advantage of these features and others like it once they are used by devs right from the start of the project.

4 Likes

I’ve been very vocal about perfomance in LE for years now and I’m very much looking forward to these updates! I just wanna play the game man!.

1 Like

Not trying to pick a fight or be a troll here but the game is more than playable performance wise right now…

I am 1800h in and enjoying it on about the recommended hardware… how can you possibly not play the game already?

Performance is a problem but all you have to do dial back expectations & be conservative with settings till the devs deliver on the optimisation side…

Feel like the hype has died down for LE, for me at least.
Too little progress and too late. Multiplayer seems like wasted ressources in the grand sheme as we all know only a small fraction plays in groups in any arpg.
The solo content/mechanics and polish , as to speak, right now is too little to make this endless EA product fun for more than a week or ready for regular leagues ala D3/D2/PoE .

Sure the hype is mellowing right now… but that always happens and this time around the devs basically “asked” for the longer 6 months so I expect a lot more people are shelving the game for a while… usually there would be another 3 month update coming soon…

Dont think its too little progress too late… I started playing almost 19 months ago and from what I have seen progression wise I am still impressed… I have over 1800h in game already and I expect that there will be much more for me to enjoy before calling it quits… Thing for me is that I am very patient about things like this… .for me its just a game…

Key for me is the next delivery… there will be expectations for the longer dev cycle & while I could care less about MP, I think it will rekindle the spark if done correctly…

Oh really?

Yeah, thats exactly the point. It’s an unfinished product with lack of polishing and missing content. That’s why it is still in EA and work is in progress. I get that you are disappointed of the current state of the game. The only thing that can solve the problems you point out is more dev time. Imho the game doesn’t have any fundamental flaws. It’s just not finished. I personally have around 1.6k hours in LE since EA release. For me it’s a ridiculously high amount of time as I am a more casual player. But I’m also losing grip as the development slowed a bit down the last year due to focus on MP.

But I think this is ok. We’re not really in the cycle/season mode, yet, even if some patches made it look like. But theres still too much work to do on the core game ti really have focus on seasonal content.

The sneak peak of some if the new stuff that will drop in September looks very nice and from the point when EHG really digs into the polishing phase I guess we will be surprised by what they can pull of.

EA is a tough development strategy because the devs already have to fulfill the community’s desires that often doesn’t really see a difference of an EA or a fully released game.

The player experience is very different for me as an early player compared to somebody that just starts the game. I already had my honeymoon phase and have explored every system and mechanic to a large extent so further patches don’t get me too excited if theres no new class or endgame stuff. While a new player has a lot of stuff to discover that can entertain him for months.

The last patch wasn’t that big so the content creators also didn’t have that much to make content about. Therefore we see some more negative videos pointing out all of LEs current flaws.

For me LE is the best investment into a pc game I’ve ever made. I’ve never played a game that much with so low investment. And there’s so much stuff to come in the future. Don’t let the slower dev speed impact you too much.

3 Likes

Yeah, I feel the game content cadence is quite slow. They should be finishing the product for a release by now.

• We are still missing a few classes.

• Balance is a bit out right now, itemization is mostly fine, but some skills just perform so much better by any metric than others. The health meta is a thing, as the game is so heavily centered about damage.

• Performance, to me, is a huge thing. I am quite excited to know they are, at last, taking it seriously and making huge improvements. I have an average PC and there are several frame drops and stutter here and there, also the PC is at full force even when sitting in front of the stash doing noting. Is far from unplayable, but needs some serious attention.

• We miss so many item visual, lets hope we get a decent appearance array by launch.

• MP is also huge, and trading, we don’t have a clear answer on how these will be on the final product.

1 Like

Great news! Keep up the good work guys. Can’t wait to try all that :slight_smile: