Clarification in Tooltips on Resistance shredding

If this is a bug/typo I’ll move it to bug reports but thought I’d start here.

So, the first part says LESS damage taken.

But then when it talks about negative resistances, going below 0 (i.e. with shred for instance) it says INCREASING damage. Shouldn’t that be MORE damage? Or should the LESS damage be DECREASED?

LESS/MORE

INCREASE/DECREASE

are different formulas, correct?

1 Like

i havent seen this anywhere.
its always either ‘less’ or ‘reduced’

so according to your “increase/decrease” its probably ‘increase/reduce’

this however, i think is correct, it probably should be ‘more’

so it should probably read as

Resistances can be reduced to negative numbers, with each 1% of negative resistance taking 1% more damage of that type.

instead of
Resistances can be reduced to negative numbers, with each 1% of negative resistance increasing damage taken of that type by 1%.

1 Like

Yeah, I meant to ‘reduced’ I just couldn’t remember the exact word they used that was the opposite of increased.

I agree with you. The third sentence should be replaced by

“Resistances can be reduced to negative numbers. If you have -10% physical resistance, you will take 10% more damage.”

If it’s multiplicative it should say Less/More.

If it’s additive it should say reduced/increasing.

That’s just being consistent. So if the extra damage you do is additive, that then first sentence should read "10% REDUCED physical damage and the second should read as it is.

If it’s multiplicative than the first sentence is fine but the second should read “1% of negative resistance is MORE damage take by that…”

This would be in line with everything else they’ve established for clarity. It’s these little anomalies in the tool tips that need to be cleaned up because they do make it confusing if they’re not line with established vernacular.

You can’t because other things can reduce physical damage taken as well, all multiplicative (=> less!), such as armour, phys dmg taken, glancing blow etc.

It is true that 10% physical resist result in reduced damage taken but it is not true that 10% physical resist result in 10% reduced physical damage taken.

2 Likes

Oh, I think I might be understanding. Maybe.

But, if this is the case than using the terms less/more or increasing/reduced in this instance is STILL going to be confusing I think because those terms are used a very specific way in every other place in the game.

Maybe just something states ‘less’ and ‘increasing’ in these instances are not the same as the same as these terms in skill nodes and passive nodes.

I don’t know. Don’t have a solution. Maybe its just mountains out of mole hills but at least it’s noted.

1 Like

I removed the complicated math from my first comment and added an obvious solution that does not make use of additive increases per 1% neg. resist within a multiplicative group involving associativity and to make consistent use of less/more. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like