Cheat Death

Has a Cheat Death mechanic discussed/considered so far? Diablo 3 and Wolcen have it, while Path of Exile (free to play, designed with grind in mind) doesn’t have on. Grim Dawn doesn’t have it, but outside special content you don’t really need it. Still, would have been nice to have it.

BTW, some monsters in LE have it, so why not the player as well?

Not sure if its a specific “cheat death” mechanism, but there is a Unique that heals you to full health if you dont die but get hit to below 30% of your health…

I think there is also a similar passive in one of the classes but for the life of me I cannot recall which one… :frowning:

So not really true cheat death but close enough for me to assume that LE may have more items that could match the concept eventually…

The Pally also has a passive that has a 10% chance to consume 3 stacks of divine essence to cheat death.

Thats the one I couldnt remember… thanks Dad.

I think cheat death has good intentions but generally gets abused to be some kind of optimal playstyle especially in competitive sense. D3 Crusader has 2 on death cooldowns - the overpowered 3 seconds of invuln plus damage bonus and second a heal to full but you can immediately die

I would rather they didnt add them, it just feels bad when they proc and you live as you know you should of died and in D3’s case people (me) just abused them to push ladder

PoE has logout macros to balance not having cheat death, you can logout with 10hp left with a dot on you and mostly live

edit: I forgot about Reaper Form which is actually probably the strongest skill in this game, I use it on my Lich but feel its mandatory, its too good not to use

3 Likes

The necromancer also get a passive that consumes a minion to heal you but it’s only 25% chance. Saved me more than once tho :wink:

Interesting. I am strongly drawn to magic users and/or undead themes in these games so I haven’t tried that. But your post reminded me of something I completely forgot: circuit breakers, which are the “poor man’s version” of cheat death. A circuit breaker is an event that triggers automatically when the condition is met, usually low health. You receive massive healing/shield/damage boost/temporary immunity or whatever the case may be. Grim Dawn has so many of those and they are mandatory for high end content.

I understand the idea of abusing such a mechanic, but this is a design oversight rather than a fundamental issue. What I am looking for is more player agency because dying in a split second to an attack, that was not a Telegraphed Avoidable attack by e noticeable enemy, is quite demoralizing when it comes to penalties and lost time.

Six months ago, I took a break from PoE after seeing Zizaran (a known PoE streamer) on a short Youtube video where he died with 13000+ health and shield in a second. For that game, 13000 is a lot and quite hard to get, specially in SSF. PoE is designed to keep people grinding and a bit frustrated to the point that players feel that their time is not respected. I am looking for a better balancing choices here. Let’s have a game that beats PoE.

There are circuit breakers in LE. On mobile so example might not be that accurate. e.g: rouge passive can get 100% avoid for 1 hit when on 70% hp and on avoid gain ward. On low health gain damage reduction and increased crit chance. Sentinel has skills that consume generated resource when hit for a large amount of damage.

In comparison to PoE, the variety is less and the impact/effect is less, but the mechanic is there.

I think it was Harvest mobs

In metamorph my Chieftain with 18k ES got bursted down and died from a Metamorph at lvl 99 - that rain attack and theres barely a delay/windup it just appears on you for mega damage

I was pretty annoyed I lost 10%xp but realising even with 18k ES I had become lazy and assumed NOTHING could kill me which was true until that point but I received a reality check.

Theres monsters in LE that do stupid damage. Orobyss was generally one shotting my FG at corruption 310+ with 4 different damage reductions inplace and theres literally nothing I can do but avoid it

And the Metamorph bosses are kittens now compared to what the game throws at you. And the nerfs, OMG! I just picked it back yesterday and I am shaking my head in disbelief. If they didn’t design it with thankless grind in mind, it would be almost the perfect game.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.