Chat Trustees

I confess, I have been playing most of the time with the chat off (I am not very interested in getting everyone’s opinion on PoE or GD :wink:).

Recently though I have turned it back on, and I am astounded at the “advice” new players get there. To name just a few:

• Last week someone was explaining how Legendary Potential can only appear in high level zones, because it needs an item with a high ilevel (???).
  • This morning, someone else was explaining to a new player that you need resistances at 75+zone level %, for example 90% in a level 15 zone (that was the zone the new player was asking about), to counter mobs penetration of 1% per zone level.
  • And so on, and so on… Trying to build a character following the chat’s advice is akin to suicide at this point.

Now, I know a few “household names”, Llama8, Shtrak, several others, who always give good answers. But a new player wouldn’t know who to trust or not.
How about creating a special chat tag for some proven valuable helpers (who are willing to do it obviously)? That would help identfy proper answers.

Something like:
Newbie1: “Guys, I keep dying to Lagon, what am I doing wrong?”
Someone1: “Stand still when his eyes turn red”
Someone2: “You need 120% poison resistance”
Someone3: “omg lol lagoon ez!!! U noob!!!”
HELPER Someone4: “Try getting more cold and lightning resistance. Movement also helps, watch him closely to try and learn his attack petterns (there are clues).”

See what I mean?

PS: got this idea when EHG_Kain pops in the chat sometimes, the EHG tag clearly shows we can trust his answers. Big thank you to him for making the effort!

1 Like

Figure they are probably going to do something like you suggest… Probably just need the new user system in place before they can actually do anything like it…

Snippet from the multiplayer update that included info on chat moderation…

I’m not sure chat moderation really has much to do with “preventing” people from giving incorrect info.

Based on everything that happened and has been done over the last few months, I don’t think putting some people on a pedestal with titles or any other kind of tag is what EHG desires. (Removal of CT Badges in the Forum)
And more importantly would not really help with the problem of people giving inaccruate or wrong informations in the first place.

I would say the best way forward would be further improving sources of informations and more incentive for new player to check out the game guide, which is a amazing ressource, that is way too much underutilized.

There are still, to this day so many people, not even knowing about the game-guide.

2 Likes

Just yell “FAKE NEWS!” every time someone posts wrong info.

Actually, don’t do that. :slight_smile:

Don’t trust this llama guy all the time

:kissing_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes, and Sarno left. Just saying.

Also, two can play at that game… I even have one from Trasochi. I think I’m only missing one from Judd…

It’s that 10% that’ll get ya.

2 Likes

I was referring to the ability of the new user system to allow moderation and perhaps elevated chat status - which would make part of the OP suggestion possible…

absolutely nothing EHG can do will stop idiots from giving crap advice…

:wink:

A lot of vets play the game with the chat off, while I do occasionally spend some time answering questions, a LOT of their questions can be answered on the Game Guide by pressing G. I can’t remember if the campaign has anything about the game guide as part of the story, but most of their answers can be answered by utilizing the resources available to them.

I think a better way to view it might be “How can we highlight the game guide organically during the early part of the campaign?” If it isn’t already, I’ll be honest, I’ve played the campaign so many times I don’t even read anything anymore. But I do know forging has a dedicated quest and a pop-up in chapters 4 and 2 respectively.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love helping new players when I can. I do also try to (politely) correct those who are giving incorrect information, but I will admit that most of these questions are the same ones that can be answered by pressing G.

I would also be a lot more active if the chat had dedicated channels, as it stands right now global chat can just get annoying so I just turn it off so that I can enjoy the game or focus on testing stuff

That’s true. But in all fairness in the examples I have witnessed people were not trying to troll, they were just misunderstanding complex mechanics and sadly spreading their mistake when trying to help.
Not sure if that makes them more or less idiots. :wink:

Ditto.

As a new player (less than one week), I definitely remember a popup mentioning the game guide.

That said, most people are used to these guides being very specific and specifically meant to help people new to either gaming in general, or new to the genre. I also remember searching for a few specific things in the game guide and not finding an answer. (I don’t remember what the things were at this time).

FFXIV has a “mentor” system that tags people as helpers, and if I remember right, they get extra exp/currency when grouping with new players (who are also tagged as "sprouts).
Earning the mentor tag requires very specific and not-trivial-at-all requirements…if I remember correctly, something like leveling one of each role (tank/healer/dps) to max level and running X amount of dungeons as each role (I could be wrong, but I remember that the requirements were NOT easy to accomplish).

As a new player, the few times the game guide didn’t have an answer, asking in chat DID get someone to respond with what I assume was a correct answer. Most of this was simple stuff like how to put my crafting mats in the forge, where to put idols, etc.

In the case of resists & penetration in this game…Honestly I’m still confused. I see lots of people saying that stacking over the cap does NOT reduce damage taken, when basic math says that it should (at least up to 150 resists) if monsters are penetrating resistance.

Anyway, as far as tagging people as helpers, there’s good and bad in any system they could implement, and I can definitely see the benefits of chat and socializing a bit, so I think it’s more about IF and HOW they implement it really. I’d be fine with them not putting one in, and probably fine with them adding a system if it was implemented in a way that could ensure disinformation. Even just a way to link the game guide topics in chat would go a long way.

I’m a bit surprised, I often see players give the good response. I did not realize wrong responses were so usual.
The “good helpers” can also be wrong sometimes, I would not advice putting a sticker on them. Nobody should be blindly trust, human or llama.
But you’re right, this is a real issue and we need to find a solution!

Mob area-level penetration is different to the “normal” penetration that the player can acquire via skills, gear and passives. The Norma penetration works as you would expect it. The area-level penetration is applied after the player’s resists are capped at 75 so having >75% resists only mitigates the effect of any stacks of shred you have on you. This is all explained in the in-game game guide.

That makes it sound like it’s better to purposefully NOT cap your resists. :man_facepalming:

Maybe it’s just the name of this mechanic…I feel like calling 2 mechanics the same thing when they work in drastically different ways might be a big part of the problem. Aren’t we just saying that mobs do 1% more damage per area level? I read the in-game guide, and even the way you’re explaining it, highlighting the “after capped resists”, makes it seem like stacking resistances higher than 75 or purposefully avoiding them would be a good thing…so maybe it’s just a terminology issue, since i’m not the only veteran gamer confused by it.

Sorry if I’ve effectively hijacked a thread about in-game communication with a discussion of in-game mechanics :rofl:

Penetration can go into negative, so every 1% below 75%, you take 1% more damage.

There is no convoluted hidden mechanic behind it.

Right now there is no monster with any kind of penetration mechanic in LE (outside of the 1% penetration per 1 area level).
And except MoF modifiers, there is no way of Monster having 75% or more resistance.

Only a dev can answer this for certain, but I would heavily assume, that even players penetration does apply after capping. (Since generally speaking monsters and players obey to the same game mechanics)

So effectively there are no calling 2 mechanics the same thing when they work in drastically different ways

It’s the same mechanic.

1 Like

Well its stems from the culture people dont like to be corrected.

Then the whole chat becomes a mess of 2 person arguing over a 1st world problem with 3rd world attitude.

i say press “G” and no more drama

I hear this one daily. I keep having to explain the entire point of having a resistance cap. If resistances mattered above the cap, it wouldn’t be a cap…

Resist shred is a debuff that lowers resists and starts at uncapped. Resist penetration is more of a buff to damage and starts at capped resists. The guide says it lowers your resists, but what it is actually doing is doing damage as if your resists were lower. If shred was more relevant then having higher uncapped resists would be more effective, but since shred is rare on monsters you don’t need to ever worry about having resists above cap.

In practice most mentors are salty and not that great at their jobs.

there is the effect of poison ailment from certain enemies, but that isn’t technically penetration even though the result is similar.