Cannot make a character without the game deleting it

Okay so I initially lost a character and sent in a different report but here we go again, two nights in a row of losing stuff I actually cared about gear wise. I noticed there seemed to be an error where if you did not logout of the game properly through the escape menu at least a single time, that character would cease to exist (full logout btw, like close game not go back to the menu). Which of course means playing in a single run and then encountering a bug that forces you to close an improper way is just gone for good now. But now for whatever reason even that doesn’t seem to matter. I cannot make a character besides my initial character, it refuses to save no matter how I leave the game. Steam cloud says its up to date, but to test what the actual hell is going on I disabled it to test if that was the issue, but alas it didn’t do a damn thing and my characters still wouldn’t save their existence. I verified file integrity and AGAIN tested it after steam noticed no errors in the integrity for that to have done nothing either… wtf guys? I love this game enough to put a ton of effort into getting this to work, about to even do a reinstall now even though I’m positive that’s a goodbye to my only character that actually works but if this doesn’t fix it… I’m mean not like I’m gonna keep playing if I can’t even have my character EXIST for more than one session.
Here’s the player log, hopefully that helps in some way cause like this is really f’ing disheartening.
Player.log (194.6 KB)

Edit 1: The uninstall did nothing, I guess I just wont be playing this game until this is resolved. Really really really disappointing but I cant recommend this game with this glitch, if I was a new player and this happened I would have refunded the game on the spot.

Edit 2: Uninstalled and reinstalled AGAIN but this time I actually cleared the game file from my comp entirely to see if maybe some file outside of steam was the issue (this did nothing to fix the problem). So apparently it’s only characters beyond the first one that refuse to save, if I delete my alternate (which, YA, I did that just to get this BS too work) and then make a character, it is actually saved, but now that I have a new char in that spot any following character creation attempts go right out the damn window.

Edit 3: Realized I was only testing this on the class that I wanted to make a new character of (Rogue in this case) so retested step 2 included with the other 4 classes to very much the exact same result, regardless of my first character slot class OR the class I was attempting to make, any character beyond the first would cease to exist.

Im literally out of ideas to figure this rage inducing stuff out, after like 5 hours of testing everything I could possibly think of to fix this issue, I give up. I just hope this gets resolved. I’ll still be playing on my I guess one working character and just pray that doesn’t poof on me too.

Hey there…

You have corrupted savegame: from the log file - 1CHARACTERSLOT_BETA_1 is corrupted.

The way LE currently works is if you have a corrupted savegame, you can make new characters but when you quit the game it cannot save ANY progress on ANY character you have.

It has nothing to do with your install and nothing you tested would have made any difference.

While the game is not running, you need to remove the appropriate savegame from the saves folder on your system:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch

If you are using Steam Cloud saves (enabled by default)… You need to disable it first to ensure that Steam doesnt try and download the same savegame back to your machine… You may even need to login to Steam via a browser and delete the offending file from your Remote Storage in Steam. When you have deleted the file & re-enabled steam cloud, you MUST make sure that it syncs with the local files as the latest - not the online ones…

Game corruption usually happens if the game was not shutdown correctly/crashed or Steam was interrupted while trying to sync a file and corrupted something.

Other than removing the corrupted save, I would recommend you Verify the Game files via Steam to ensure that your install is actually fine.

That should solve your issue…

ps. Unless you have a manual backup of your particular save before it became corrupted, that character is gone… EHG has no copy.

Hmmmmm, so is 1CHARACTERSLOT_BETA_1 not actually assigned to a specific character? Cause this did continue to happen even after I deleted the character via in game. I will try this though and see if this fixes my issue. Im guessing when I wiped the folder steam cloud did just kinda bring it back by itself so. I did already do a verify and that came back clean.

On a side note, when I did make a new character in slot 1, that new character was updating its progress, like I got it to level 3 just to see if getting to town or past would somehow you know save it and it did. But the main issue also continued.

Yeah this fixed it, so I did almost have it on my second reinstall but steam cloud bricked it… what a shame, well thanks anyways. Albeit tilting as hell, I’m just glad I get to actually play again.

It is a specific character but the way the game reads saves when it loads, a corrupted save can affect the whole save process - i.e. the game sees the failed save and doesnt just ignore it and move on… Its not a great way to handle the exception programatically but thats how it works right now… I am expecting that this is likely to change somewhat with the new patch coming…

Steam Cloud is definitely part of the issue - not usually the cause, but it makes the problem worse because it doesnt know that a save is corrutped so unless you disable it, it keeps resync;ing messed up files.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.