Build Concept: Maelstrom Totems

Tinkering with the build planner and thought of a build that sounds fun on paper, but was wanting some more input and just thoughts in general.

The main idea is going to be using Storm Totem then casting Maelstrom on the totem for more damage. Maelstrom casted on totems gains 300% more damage that is multiplicative with other multipliers. So, this got me thinking of setting up as many totems as possible to buff Maelstrom prior to casting it on Storm Totem, but without the use of Spriggan form as it just feels somewhat clunky and wastes a bit of time. Now, you want as many totems as possible prior to casting Mael due to Ascendant Circle in the shaman tree which grants 32% spell damage per active totem.

I’ve only added 2 items to the build planner, but think only the relic would be kept. Still tweaking this before I actually make it, so let me know what you think.

I’d probably move some points around the Thorn Totem tree to get Memories of Eterra (up to 12 mana per totem returned when a Thorn Totem dies or is unsummoned/replaced by a new Thorn Totem) & Totemic Wisdom (cheaper Thorn Totems), if you’re only using the Thorn Totems to buff your Maelstrom, you might as well take the points out of Winged Thorns/Oaken Protection.

Also, not sure how much use Beneath the Waves would be in Maelstrom, it’d give you additional stacks of Maelstrom when you go X seconds without casting it, so it’d be easier to get your stacks out initially.

Since you’re going to be summoning lots of totems, a Tempest Maw axe is always good fun, the Storm Sprite procs run around like crazy ####ers & benefit from all the minion affixes you’ll be taking (but not any totem affixes) & it makes your totems cheaper as well as giving you a bit of flat lightning spell damage.

Ursine Strength, Boar Heart/Porcine Constitution are also very good defensive passives in the Beastmaster tree. I’d also max Protective Circle as well since that will make gearing much easier (no need for phys/ele resists while you have 5 totems out).

Question for you Llama dama ding dong…

Will your passives and gear increases to spell damage specifically targeting maelstrom (i.e. dot, cold, etc.) stack with the 300% multiplier from the tree? If so, how so because it seems like you could stack this To THe MOON! Ahem, for spell damage then drop super buffed maels on a totem.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Yes, Maelstrom is a player spell so all player effects affect it.

I mean, it could be interesting if you focus on totems for the additional spell damage and use an axe (storm).

Yes, but if you want to go totems, then Maelstrom would be a bit pointless, and if you want to go with Maelstrom then you’d need some form of caster weapon in your main hand (staff, wand/sceptre with either catalyst, shield or axe in offhand) to provide it some base damage.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.