Brainstorming Additions to the Crafting System

If you’re not interested in the preamble, please skip to the headings below.

I love a lot of things about the crafting system, especially during the campaign and early monoliths. It’s very refreshing to have deterministic crafting which isn’t guaranteed to work. A very creative way to avoid the tropes of:

1. Collect ingredients to combine in a recipe while leveling up your crafting ability, so that you can unlock new recipes to gather ingredients for.

2. Spam a bunch of crafting materials (let’s call them orbs) that transform items in various ways until, hopefully, you eventually roll a useful set of affixes at a relatively powerful tier.

That said, I think it starts to lose steam in the endgame. For example, I’ve kind of lost interest in my level 94 sorcerer, even though I’m really enjoying the empowered boss fights. It’s mainly because it feels like I only have two options to improve his gear:

• Get almost exactly the same affixes on almost exactly the same base items, but manage not to fracture before getting everything to T5.
  • Find one of a few T6/T7 affixes on a select few base items and, if that ever happens, also manage not to fracture it before getting most of the other stats near T5.

I don’t mind grinding and I don’t expect perfect items to be handed to me but it isn’t particularly motivating when it feels like I’ll probably spend dozens of hours to improve my character in increments of 3% increased health or 2 intelligence.

I understand that this is a work in progress and that it would be completely unrealistic of me to expect a fully fleshed-out endgame crafting experience. I also imagine that as more unique items are added, there will be new options to aspire to beyond what is available from crafting and exalted drops.

Regardless, I’m very impressed by what is currently available and, even if nothing were to change, it will probably feel better once trading is a thing. However, I think the framework you’ve established has the potential to grow into a really deep crafting system, and, to that end, I’d like to share some ideas.

Glyphs and Runes

Enchantments

Items could occasionally be found with an enchantment, or perhaps a rare crafting item could be used to apply an enchantment to gear. Either way, the enchantments would affect crafting on that item, in one or more ways, for a limited number of rolls.

• The next X crafts will have one of the following conditions:
    a) add reduced or no instability
    b) 50-100% less fracture chance
    c) an increased chance for critical success
    d) roll affixes with lucky values (closer to max of range)

• Possible constraints:
    a) Enchantments can only be added to items with <= X instability
    b) Glyphs can’t be used for ‘enchanted’ crafts
    c) Items automatically fracture once enchantment is expended

Capsules

Destroy an item to capture one or more of its affixes within the capsule.

• These affixes, along with a suitable amount of instability, could then be applied to a different base item.
  • This would replace any affixes currently on the item (or can only be used on normal items, but that might make loot filters onerous).

I don’t purport to have any idea how to balance the addition of these crafting options, nor do I expect they would be implemented in a way resembling what I’ve put forward here. This is purely an exercise in brainstorming.

I’d love to hear more ideas from other members of the community!

2 Likes

get rid of (boring) t6/7 and make exalted items roll with extra implicit

I just recently created a thread suggesting new runes/glyphs.

While you did suggest more than just runes/glyphs i think having multiple threads of very similar topics is not helping with visiblity on the forums.

With the steady growth of the LE communtiy it’s really a good idea to try and put suggestions into already existing threads and not created a new one all the time.

1 Like

Oops, I normally search first but in this case, I thought I was suggesting enough various things that it never occurred to me to consider previous posts. In hindsight, that seems like the opposite of how I should be thinking.

What’s the best way to move forward? Should I remove the glyph suggestions from this post and instead contribute my thoughts to your thread?

I’d like to have a ‘brainstorming’ post because I’m hoping that framing might encourage creative discussion/feedback, but I’m more than willing to remove this thread and re-post a more streamlined version or, really, just do whatever is best for the game/forums.

I don’t wanna tell you how to handle this, but i think changing this thread to a brainstorming thread about your “unique” ideas (for example the Capsules) and posting your runes/glyph suggestion in my thread would be a nice way to keep both discussions interesting.

It’s such a shame, that some threads just die without any contribution, while there are several similar threads being created.

Sounds like a plan dude. I don’t have the mental energy atm but I’ll do exactly that soon.

Yeah, it’s an unfortunate trend on a lot of forums, hard to avoid although I think we should keep working on it. I’m going to do a bit of research over the next few days because it strikes me there’s a couple of forums that do it much better than most, but I have never thought about what might contribute to that.

As a relatively new convert to the forums, I’m encouraged by the amount of engagement I see, especially from active people like you and @Llama8, among others. I was already a big fan of the game, of course, but participating in the forums has brought that to a whole new level.

2 Likes

Haha, that’s fine.

Glad you liked my idea.
After posting my first post, i was a bit worried you might think i am the forum police trying to moderate you lol :smiley:

I think sometimes me and Llama can be a little bit too quick, responding to a new thread :smiling_imp:

I already sometimes try to pull back or wait for other to come in, since some people that already know me from other discussions often see the same or very similar ideas and suggestions coming from me.

Other than that i do love the LE Forums.

I always want to encourage people (on my stream or in the in-game chat) to come to the forums and share feedback or give suggestions.

This is handsdown the best online forum i have been part of.
And overall the LE community is in my top 3 of best gaming communities overall.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.