Beta 0.8.1 Patch Notes

Holy crap! What an update! I’m really excited about a lot of this. Particularly the implicit rerolling in crafting, new uniques, all the refinement, the new item affixes, and bug fixes.

I’m really surprised that some Sentinel (particularly Forge Guard) passives weren’t reworked.

I’m glad to see Rogue is getting scaled back a bit.

I also really wish that Last Laugh had a more powerful base item, or that we were able to upgrade that. As it is, it’s okay for midgame but too weak for endgame. But the unique bonuses would make it a good contender for endgame two-hand. I think 2h needs some help in comparison to dual wielding.

Patch notes are getting longer and longer x.x

Good grief… This update feels like a new game!

Cannot wait for the 2GB update to complete and see how much all of this affected my builds… Definitely motivates starting a whole new batch of characters and I am really hoping that the hundreds of items I have in my stash (especially uniques) may actually be worth trying to use again.

Love the effort. Actually fun being part of the game and seeing how it matures…

:+1:

1 Like

Awesome!!! Thanks for the new patch!!!

What was the point of Alchemists Laddle changes?
You now have a wand that does no melee damage but gets melee attack speed and chance on melee hit to inflict burn, chill, shock , Slow, Blind & Poison.
What good is a melee weapon that does 0 melee damage?

1 Like

Thanks! :facepunch:

Good stuff as always, but gosh I’m very, very unhappy with lounge sharing shield bash CD and Smite, skill where do u have to spec into to make it movement skill as well share the same CD as well. This changes are kinda game breaking for me honestly. I was looking forward to use Surge and Teleport too.

Quite bumped with the ‘‘we revisited all skills from the game’’ too, I don’t think number changes is good enough for most of those. Some need major rework but I understand its a lot of work. Maybe another patch

Anyway, keep up the good work

Tooltips

OH, YOU BEAUTY!

1 Like

Wow… I uhh kind of hate what I just read. I have 1 character for each mastery currently available and roughly 75% of them just got nerfed hard by these changes. I haven’t launched it yet so maybe it isn’t as bad as it seems but my top 4 favorite builds were just utterly destroyed by these changes. And I am not even talking about the changes to affixes! I think I am going to take some time to cool off before I try this patch out.

I also had some builds and fun ideas crushed by the changes. More specifically, 8 or more ways to play scorpion/baby scorpion have become 2 or 3, so with no obvious reason for the changes, I would encourage the dev’s to look at what they have definitely lost vs what they believe they gain or might gain from gating that skill at level 35 beastmaster.

On the other hand, I have found the minion survivability changes a step in the right direction, so if they can also fix acolyte minion AI, a lot of other ideas become viable.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what builds were “utterly destroyed”?

Ok I admit to a bit of hyperbole there. The affected builds are probably not actually destroyed, but they are either significantly nerfed or changed to the point that I will basically have to start over in their itemization to make them viable again given the increased health and damage that was given to monsters.

My bladedancer rogue relied on crit multi and area scaling for shadow cascade, so that build feels like it just got hit by dozens of multiplicative nerfs from the changes to the rogue and bladedancer trees, the bug fixes that I didn’t realize were bugs, and the tuning of shadow cascade. It wasn’t particularly strong before so now I’m fairly sure it just won’t be viable anymore.

My marksman rogue feels like it is in the same boat, but maybe to a lesser degree as flurry and multshot weren’t adjusted as much. Though the changes to the marksman tree seem more heavy handed than the bladedancer ones so it is hard to tell.

My shaman primalist was using the scorpion… which it now has to spend 20 more passive points to unlock. Yeah that is not happening so that build is dead.

My void knight sentinel was a smite caster, but I’m fairly sure that build is completely dead now that the lightning can’t multi-hit a single target. That is like a ~85% multiplicative nerf to everything it did.

My paladin build relied pretty heavily on block, which from the changes sounds much harder to actually get to 100% chance now. Combined with the cooldown changes to sentinel movement skills I am not confident this build will still be viable either.

My lich acolyte was built around rip blood, which may have just improved or may have just died. After all the other changes listed I kind of just assumed the worst here.

I don’t think either of my mage builds were changed, but if I had to level them up again they would level quite differently due to when skills unlock now. Their itemization has, but I am fairly sure every build’s itemization has to some degree.

My druid and beastmaster primalists seem mostly unaffected, aside from items of course.

My forge guard sentinel is probably affected by the general changes to sentinel, though the degree of this is hard to determine. It should be less affected than my other sentinels, but I can’t tell how much less.

It sounds like my necromancer acolyte might actually have been buffed a bit due to the minion changes, but ironically this was my least favorite build. C’est la vie.

I’m sure the changes have also enabled other builds as well, and maybe the changes do represent an overall buff to player power after we adapt to them. But my initial reaction certainly doesn’t feel that way when judging from the impacts it seems to have on my characters. I was expecting some rogue nerfs and some significant itemization changes but the rest caught me by surprise. I’ll still try it out and see how it feels, I just need to give it time before I do so so my initial impression doesn’t color my judgement when actually playing around with it.

Lightning smite multi-hitting the same target was unintended mechanic, it was going to be fixed at some point. It was fun while it lasted though! Void smitter is still pretty decent overall.

Rip blood is still very strong.

Im with you on this one, now any shaman/druid build cant use the scorpion, and thats about half my builds :disappointed_relieved:

Interestingly, your most powerful build, the baby scorpion beastmaster - where you just go for all the flat minion damage nodes on the beastmaster tree, got buffed (it just takes longer to reach full power). To the point where it is the only real option for baby scorpions. While the less powerful options (shaman storm totem lightning melee nodes, werebear minion nodes, trying to get crows or avalanche dudes, or even bees with them, etc.) are now not even possible.

Oh i didnt even notice that, was it the axe and claw node that got buffed from 1 to 2 pr point? (thought it was 2 before too, tho my memory isnt what it used to be heh).
I did notice tho that the poison chance node got reduced by 10%, and it no longer possible to have a scepter with minion dot/all dmg/phys dmg anymore, now only sword axe with dot/melee, so not sure how good that build is anymore, guess i gotta give it a go one of the days.

I was just using the ‘flat nodes on the minion tree’ to describe the build.
The buffs I meant are not about flat damage. Specifically for baby scorpions, it’s the endurance node applying to minions, which I find to be quite strong for both my own and minion defences. Also the general buff of 40% more damage and 40% less damage taken by minions at level 100.
Item buffs are:

Ah ok, yea i agree all the other buffs are really nice, and i tried a newly made minion build in arena where they do seem alot more tanky than before. Those chages were excactly what i was looking for (except the scorpion at lvl 35 bm), and im sure when i get enough endurance for myself, its gonna be an excellent arena runner.

1. DPS tooltip

DPS tooltip still needs a lot more polish and i think EGH is not done yet and will eventually add more information to a given skill like the actual hit damage,crit multi,crit chance, cast/attack speed etc.

The current “rough estimation” is a nice first start but still barely better than the manual damage gauging you did before.

Would be nice if you add more stats to any skill.

1. Minions

Also another construction site are minions. Unless you play some OP temporary minions like Wraiths the other permanent minions feel really awful and never got any good treatment to make them feels smooth.

Firstly their AI is really bad . In fact soo bad that you’re forced to spam the A button to make them attack any enemies near you. Otherwise they would just kill & chill at enemies 2 screens away. Fix this asap pls.

Another point is slow movement speed. I know PoE also has slow minions be in LE they are extra slow. Give them like 15-20% more base speed.

1. Campaign

Condense your campaign. With that i mean get rid of some pure traversing zones,dead end zones without any quest, or backtracking zones (Ma’jelka).
If you want to make an interesting campaign than go with quality first and not pure quantity.
I understand that there can not be only POI zones with quests but i noticed after my return recently you overshoot the mark with quantity.
Keep in mind campaign is not even done yet but it already feels like a slog. Not because the content is hard but there is literally nothing to do in lots of campaign zones. Please take a look at this.

Nonetheless keep up the good work EHG.