Best Game Ever?

Oh boy I hope you dont get super in to 10 or 12, because if you are a completionist it is gonna take you a loooong time. Say hi to Yiazmat for me if you ever decide to play 12 :slight_smile:

6 (or 3 in the states) is a great way to introduce yourself with FF, even by today’s standards its a great game. You can suplex a train, how can you not want to do that??

2 Likes

I have lobbied the developer for a PC port. But if you had to pay another 120-150 bucks to pick up someone’s old PS4 to play it, I don’t think that would be a massive waste or anything. There are other games on the PS4 digital store that are worth picking up also, like God Hand, Dark Cloud 1 & 2, etc. I’m a collector, so I have many consoles I’ve picked up on the cheap.

If you do get to play it eventually, let me know what you thought of it. I’m really excited to see what people here think of it.

I even forgot to mention in my blurb that it’s a side-scrolling action game, so I bet a lot of people of all ages would find it entertaining.

Also yeah, Persona 4 is tremendously well written. There’s a lot of Jungian and Freudian psychological stuff going on in the story, and there are several characters that the game makes you root for in their plight. It takes seriously the struggles of young people (and Japanese people) in a way other games hadn’t before and haven’t since.

My one complaint with Persona 4 though is that it’s a slog to get through if you’re a completionist. I don’t like missing things, and the PC version is slightly different from the console version, so there’s no good guide out there on how to make the right decisions on the life simulator parts of it in order to 100% everything. Someday I’ll write that guide myself, but I just don’t have the time to research it right now.

The two Final Fantasy games I think are worth everybody’s time are Final Fantasy 1 and Final Fantasy Tactics. Move on to Tactics Advanced and Tactics Advanced 2 if you’re bored enough.

I say this because the story of Final Fantasy 1 is a fun mystery fairy tale that has a neat twist if you notice it at the end. That and the classic RPG gameplay is really charming. If you like old games or retro games, you can’t skip FF1.

FF Tactics is super fun in general just because of all the classes and job upgrades, easter eggs, secret bosses and so on. It’s also hilariously unfair in places and that also is a shared experience we all had growing up. Getting stuck in that game and losing my save file, all that jazz, were really important experiences to me. Plus the characters in that game are just really cool. There’s so many awesome spells and special moves, and just awesome stuff to do. Once you unlock every class, it opens and you feel like you can do anything. I wish there were more games that used the FF Tactics job system, I mean almost directly rip it off. I could play 100 games just like it.

1 Like

POE - for it’s depth, there is strategy involved for about every aspect of the game. Can be played even without launching. Latest patches and leagues are questionable.
Last Epoch - the best gameplay, that is just too repetetive after 700 hours. Alongside other major problems, that will hopefully be fixed with a few big patches.
Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 4 - so much to explore.

2 Likes

For me, the seasonal concept has ruined everything. Worst thing to ever happen to gaming. It forces people to start anew, if they want to experience the fresh new content. It’s also made developers lazy, imho. Instead of coming up with intriguing new content to explore, they simply add a few gimmick mechanics, and toss them randomly into existing content. POE maybe has 1 new zone per league (other than delve and syndicate), that serves as the encounter zone for that league ‘boss’. And hell, D3 doesn’t even go that far. Just change some item numbers, and double the spawn rate of treasure goblins… WHAM!!! NEW SEASON!

I would really like games to go back to the expansion, or even DLC model, where entire new conceptualized zones, monsters and items are delivered. Let players decide if they want to start fresh, or continue developing their existing characters in this content.

And, if they really want the game to live forever, provide developer toolkits for the community. Just look at Grim Dawn.

5 Likes

I find the idea of a game that never actually ends and just gets layers of tinkering and changes that invalidate or outright nerf earlier content I enjoyed offensive. As someone who grew up during a time when that development effort would have gone into new games, I don’t want one game that perpetually changes to where I can’t go back and experience it the way I did before.

I think if they would do one major DLC-like upgrade to the game a year where it has a new class or maybe just a new spec for a class and leave the old content the same, I would be much happier with that. Maybe add new areas and bosses, or whatever it is they want to add, but do it like Everquest, where there are only marginal upgrades to items, stats and abilities.

I’m not sure why nobody has adopted that model in the F2P space, but I think it would be really successful. Especially if you had the resources that PoE does to keep it going continuously. A game that expands and gets more interesting is fine. But a game that gets entirely new mechanics every 4 months or so that make the stuff you were doing before nearly pointless is really annoying.

It’s also annoying to have a game where you have to grind for increasingly rare items just to see the content. My one complaint with Grim Dawn is that it takes an insane amount of time, (unless you know exactly what you’re doing) to grind up the gear and get to the point where you can kill the secret bosses on Ultimate difficulty. I’ve killed two, maybe three of them? And I’m not even close to killing the hardest one. That dude still one-shots my most decked out character after over a thousand hours of play. It’s neat that content exists, and I don’t particularly have a problem with it, except that it being there kinda drags out the gear acquisition part of the game hundreds or thousands of hours after the main content is already over.

Either way, I agree. I feel like standard expansions and marginal upgrades are the way to go if you’re going to expand a game that exists perpetually. Not this “everything is different now, start over and level a new character, peasant” style seasonal thing we’ve got going on. That feels like a mobile game tactic that mostly exists to waste your time and compel you to do things you’ve already done over again with a slightly different flavor or color of special effect over it. I pride myself a little bit in not falling for that.

2 Likes

Not sure if “lazy” is the word, but it has switched the focus from story and exploration to pure mechanics, and that’s not what I like.

The only reason why I play seasons in some games is that I don’t like account-bound stuff. Stash, maps, waypoints, achievs, I prefer each character to live their own life. And as the standard nowadays is everything shared, seasons are the only way I have to get a fresh character.

But otherwise I agree with your post, I like DLCs much better than seasons. I don’t mind paying if it brings new stories and areas to explore.
Just give me a button to reset my account and I would stop seasons altogether! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That.
Put it in bold characters and repeat it 5 times.
Totally my feelings, and the main reason why I left PoE (after asking for an offline, fixed version of one league to be released, but it won’t happen).

1 Like

Only one eh ? That’s Rough. If I can only pick one I’m going to have to go with Baldur’s Gate II and it’s Throne of Bhaal expansion. That said, others that are way up the list Are EverQuest, Wing Commander: Privateer, Path of Exile, Divinity Original Sin 2, Diablo 1 and 2, Sacred 2, Borderlands 1 and 2, Dragons Dogma, Mechwarrior 2, Final Fantasy 7 and 8, various hero’s of might and magic games, Warcraft 1 and 2, Starcraft, Tyranny, Dragon Age: Origins, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, AC Odyssey, AC Black Flag, The Witcher 3, Pre-Cataclysm World of Warcraft, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Duke Nukem (the original one), GTA San Andreas, Rift before it went free to play, and probably at least 20 others that I’ve forgotten to list =) and of course it goes without saying that Last Epoch has made it onto that list as well !

3 Likes

Hail to the King, Baby!
How on earth did I forget that one on my list? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Dont feel too bad - i had to re-edit my post to add the video game that got me started on video games - Wolfenstein 3d. LOL, thats been a little while back =)

3 Likes

This has to be the hardest question you could ask a lifelong gamer…

For me there is simply no way to provide a honest definitive answer for my best game ever because I have played great games in a wide spectrum of genres over decades.

Even trying to negate any nostalgia that I may have rose-tinting my memories of a certain game, place and time in my life I dont think I could come up with any one game that trumps them all. In fact, I’d be hard pressed just to have one top game in any given genre because of the time period.

So I am gonna have to plead the Fifth on this one. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Potato potato? One person’s “intriging new content” is another’s gimmicky mechanic I think. Also, just because they’re not doing things you like doesn’t make them lazy per se.

Which, to be fair, is what PoE does (though not with new classes), but they do “progress” the atlas “story” & rework it a bit.

1 Like

This would be impossible to me to give an absolute answer so I will comment by parts.
Back in the 90’s when I was going from childhood to adolescence, and discoverring everything, I went from sega Genesis to super Nintendo and lot of great games, specially FINAL FANTASY VI, and also another one I remember till today to give one of the best immersive and entertainment experience is SUPER METROID. It’s really a tie, can’t define witch one I would give the tittle of Best.

Meanwhile I got my first computer and was discovering PC games, played dozens of games, Doom, Sim City, Warcraft II, Age of Empires, Command Conquer, Total Anihilation, and the one game I consider the best experience of my life, STARCRAFT, it was something I personally consider above any other game have offered till that day. The multiplayer experience, the competition, the co-operation modes, and the custom made maps gave years and years of pure enjoyment. You could play the game like it was a RPG with heroes evolving and fighting monsters. You could create a map that DBZ heroes would fight each other (in the skin of blizzard units of course).

Later in 90’s and 2000’s it was playstation 1 and 2 era(together with PC games), and again tons of games, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 9 and the one I have special love, kinda an underrated RPG called STAR OCEAN - the second Story. The multiple choices and each one reflecting in different endings and the active system of battles was unique to me at that time, not restric to turns. You had a team with 4 heroes and could switch between them to control a main one to be hitting enemies with lot of cool skills. The enemies would fight back in real time.

Honorable mention to the Play1/Play2 soccer series Pro Evolution Soccer (Winning Eleven). Specially 2010/2111, 2013/2014.

And getting to more recent story, its a tie between Grim Dawn and Last Epoch.

2 Likes

Looks like you did give an absolute answer in the end. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Good answer too, that was a great game.

1 Like

I’m right there with you on this. I have some great memories of great games (Eye of the Beholder being one) but trying to pin one as the “best” game I’ve ever played? I couldn’t do that.

2 Likes

Say you had to move to a desert island and you could only bring one game with you, what would it be? :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s your favorite Sega Genesis game btw? I was really fond of Rings of Power and Sonic 1 & 2. Those games were awesome!

1 Like

Yeah, besides the shear number of games I have enjoyed and the wow factor that some had being either technically brilliant, totally new or visually gorgeous or even those whos stories enthralled, I realised that a lot of things also depend on the time of my life when I played and how those moments added to my memories of enjoyment.

Like my memories of a game called Track & Field that I used to play in the arcades with my friends when I was maybe 12 years old. We used to have to use an old fashioned bottletop smoothed and shaped perfectly to rub vigorously between the arcade buttons to make the players run faster. Or 4 player Gauntlet where I’d stack up coins on the arcade machine and invite total strangers to play with me. Or the times when we would all lug our desktops to friends homes with the cases and monitors strapped in seatbelts for the drive to play whatever LAN based games had just come out. Or the times we’d convert the software support office at work into a massive LAN party with beers and pizza and played games like Quake or Age of Empires and others until the boss would call and tell us to go home because security called him at 3am about the noise.

I’d never say any of those examples above were my best game ever - not by a long shot, but the times I had playing some games were some of the best experiences in my life. Not all obviously, but I definitely have good memories.

3 Likes

I’d probably have to go old school on the proverbial desert island - pack of cards or a chess board.

1 Like

One of the benefits of the uni IT, they were in use 24/7 so that never happened.

2 Likes