Beastmaster (Companion) Feedback Thread

I hope you had the chance to take a breather from the Shaman thread (and by that, I mean I hope you actually read the Shaman thread), because now I want to discuss the Beastmaster mastery. In short, I really like it. My Word Document containing feedback is only half of that of the Shaman thread, and that’s with nearly every Companion covered here.

The post-Mastery tree is littered with animal Aspects, and each of them are extremely well-designed and build-defining. These are heavy-investment nodes done right, as they’re powerful enough to make each node worth investing into, while also ensuring that a build has to fully invest in the concept and can’t just dabble in picking from every Aspect.

Each companion has its own flavor (though some skill trees are much more thought-out than others), and the player has a good variety in choosing how many companions would fit that particular build. You have your mix of swarming pets (wolves & crows, maybe Scorpion if you include the babies), some pets that are better mixed with other pets (spriggans & wolves providing flat Crit chance to your remaining companions), and some minions that would rather be alone (raptors, roar). As this mastery leans on the companions more than the other Primalist masteries, any quips I have regarding minions will be found here.

MINION DODGE

It’s listed in the Beastmaster tree, it’s listed as an equipment affix, and it’s on nearly every companion skill. I’m not exactly calling it a waste… but with the premium of passive points and skill points we have, when would we invest in minion dodge that we wouldn’t want to invest in more attack damage or more health? Comparing companions to the player character: they’ll have a lot more health, so one-shots are not a danger. They could do a lot of damage, and their leech is formidable, so they can withstand smaller hits okay as well. The best use of minion dodge is when there’s the 10 explosions on the same screen that can break down even the sturdiest of builds, and I can see why minion dodge would be valuable there, as dodging 2 out of 10 big explosions can be the difference between a living companion and a downed one.

That being said, it’s hard to really quantify how much minion dodge would contribute to a build’s functionality, especially as the affix competes with both minion health and minion damage (not to mention attributes like Strength and Attunement that both benefit the player as well as give specific bonuses to the companion skills themselves). As for the skill nodes, if the nodes that grant dodge rating are out of the way, why invest points in getting them when you can grab nodes that are either damage multipliers or grant new functionalities? If the nodes are part of the main path, then they feel like a waste.

It just never feels good to invest in minion dodge, and unless you can convert the dodge rating to something else (like Foot of the Mountain converts Dodge Rating to Endurance Threshold, which seems pretty good when the player is issuing commands and doesn’t need to be in constant movement) or if the companions can do an action like Sabertooth’s Fury Swipes when they dodge, I don’t see any way you can salvage this stat.

MINION HEALING

For some reason, you can invest 22 passive points (that’s roughly 1/5 of the total passive points you get, for those keeping score) specifically for minion healing. And all of it is found in the Druid tree, which makes sense because that’s where the Spriggan skills are, but if you’re putting the points there, they’re not advancing the Beastmaster tree where all the goodies are.

Eterra’s Blessing is the main focus for player healing, and I’m assuming the main sources for minion healing are either healing totems (which unless you’re in Spriggan form are very rare to come across) or the Spriggan’s Aura itself. Yeah, there are nodes that increase the healing effectiveness and are designed to combo with the passive investment, but it raises the question of why make so much investment when you can just invest in damage? There are Adorned idols that grant increased minion healing effectiveness, but I don’t see any apparent synergies that mesh well with it.

This is another case where you don’t really feel the investment and the build doesn’t feel particularly stronger if you have these investments, and people aren’t going to like builds where they don’t feel an immediate effect.

FIXES

I’ll list the general fixes in this first post, as you’ll see my complaints throughout the companions post, and outside of that, there’s not too much I can specify in the ways that I pointed out specifically in the Shaman thread.

I’ll give praise where praise is due: the passive tree is very good, and it provides hefty bonuses that give each level-up a real impact. What it does well, it does really well, but what it does poorly, it’s simply a disaster. It’s hard to recommend specific fixes as various skill trees just need to be thrown into the trash and be given an influx of fresh ideas. There are plenty of items that mesh well with certain build concepts, though I really wish there are more Fire synergies to make good use of the Hakar’s Phoenix Axe.

There are some good interactions between the Primalist’s Melee skills (War Cry with Berserk, Swipe Aspect of the Panther, Gathering Storm with the Cold Friends of the Tempest fixed now, Storm Crows having various bonuses when you land a melee strike). There are a few interactions with spells (Entangling Roots providing crit chance and spell damage being the main one), but the companion sub-skills that are not related to their main abilities (Scorpion’s Lightning Nova, Sabertooth’s cold spells, you can even put Caster Bear in here) need to be updated to better gel with Shaman’s or Druid’s core abilities. As an example, Swarmblade’s Dive attack allows you to use a Companion ability, but outside of Cold Raven’s Frostbite Crowstorm, what companion do you actually want to use with Swarmblade? There may be companion spells, but so much relies on the Shaman update that it’s impossible to tell what the vision for Shaman companions is going to be.

PASSIVES

The Aspects take up basically the entire passive tree, so there’s no purpose in providing general comments. Onto the Aspects:

Aspect of the Lynx: It’s incredible. Giant crit multiplier & leech on crit for a very modest point investment. This is the type of build-defining passive node route I want every other class / mastery to have. Not to mention that with the Salt the Wounds gloves, it synergizes excellently with Aspect of the Boar (for Bleed builds) and Aspect of the Viper (for Poison builds). And if you’re going solo companion with a not-easy time to refresh the companion ability, you just need an idol investment or two (or the 45-point node that increases the aspect duration) to make the buff uptime manageable.

Aspect of the Shark: The single-stack version is rough, especially as everyone’s investing in Aspect of the Boar for the damage reduction, but the 10-stack version… hoo boy it’s a monster. The amount of speed you get alongside the melee damage, it’s the purest form of the Berserker you can get, and I love it.

Aspect of the Viper: The fact that it provides a general damage over time buff is really nice, especially as you can combine it with the passive / equipment / idols that provide additional duration / effect and get some nice DoT effects. My only negative is that your only choices in terms of what you can use are either Poison or Frostbite, as several companions can convert Poison chance to Frostbite chance. If you’re going for some funky conversions like converting Mage skills into Void abilities, the idea of a Beastmaster corrupted by the Void and being able to use Doom and the other big DoT abilities would be pretty sick, if I’m being honest.

Aspect of the Boar: Commonly referred to as the Beastmaster Tax, the damage reduction is really nice the point of it being required on nearly all Primalist builds. I have no issue with it personally, especially as melee builds need the reduction as they’re in the thick of battle, but I’d personally find a way to give the other Masteries enough defensive power so that the Boar doesn’t feel absolutely necessary, especially for casters who don’t want to go into melee range. It’s tricky, because multiple sources of damage reduction make each source even more important, so things like Druid’s Impervious passive that also grants damage reduction make the Beastmaster investment even more forced.

My only opinion would be to take the damage reduction node in Porcine Constitution and make it based instead on the number of Aspects you currently have up and beef up the defenses for Druid and Shaman so that not every Primalist build has to feel like it needs to invest so many skill points here just to feel sturdy.

COMPANIONS

Summon Wolf: Wolf is one of those quintessential skills that can work on any team archetype. Summon Frenzy Totem grants a huge Crit Chance boost with Wolf’s Howls. Wolves can gain the Cold tag with a combination of Ice Bite and large attack speed to have its main attacks reduce the Ice Bite cooldown. Wolves can retaliate with Storm Bolts and run an Attunement-scaling option. You can run one Wolf or a whole team of Wolves depending on whether you take the right-side nodes or equip the Fang amulet. It is a companion that can play a ton of roles depending on its skill point distribution, and there are a ton of items that grant it more versatility. Between the damage types, usefulness of its companion ability (and the ability to have it on near permanent uptime when you use multiple Wolves and some Howl nodes), and the interaction between it and the other companions / skills is exactly what one would come to expect in this game.

Storm Crows: The other “base” Primalist companion, it is also very well designed with a variety of ways to incorporate them into your playstyle. Most commonly, it takes up all of your companion slots, but it has several skill nodes that grant it more damage / utility based on the number of crows the player has. Its companion ability, Crowstorm, has a pretty stacked base Lightning Damage of 80, while having 400% Added Damage Effectiveness, all the while having nodes that grant it damage multipliers per Crow. It even has a teleport option to save on needing a movement skill. It even has options for Strength stacking and Intelligence stacking (when you use Tempest Strike’s Gladiator of Lagon buff), and can have different bonuses applicable to melee players.

What’s most interesting about Storm Crow is the combination of the one-companion limit buffs and the “Fulminating Caw” skill node that grants your Lightning %damage onto the Crow at 125% effectiveness. Especially as the Druid tree grants up to 40 flat Spell damage to your Crow, Crowstorm’s added damage effectiveness and massive Lightning %damage leads it to become a nuke. However, actually casting it as a Druid will be tricky, as Werebear requires Cooldown Swipe (it’s just terrible, please do not use this) and Swarmblade scales better from Cold damage than Lightning damage, and Fulminating Caw has no effect if you convert the Crow to Cold damage.

Summon Bear: A very old, tired skill that has limped along for years with nearly no interactions. Granted, there is a new node in Wounded Prey that provides increased movespeed and melee damage multiplier up to 1.3X for stacking Bleed onto the opponent. That helps it fit better among the melee companions and, alongside the Wolf, is the only melee-focused companion that Shamans + Druids can have access to. There is a chance to summon Claw Totems that I assume can be combined with the Swipe tree to create a 50% to summon a Totem if the Bear kills an enemy with Swipe. An interesting concept with other melee totems, but without a one-companion limit buff listed anywhere, there aren’t many synergies that can be found. It would be pretty cool if the Bear had the ability to convert its base damage to Lightning so it can synergize with Lightning Swipe. Hint, Hint.

I had leveled up a Caster Bear Druid some moons ago, but I abandoned it, so I cannot provide a valid opinion on how it fares nowadays. With the Druid’s 40 adaptive spell damage alongside Entangling Root’s additional spell damage alongside a fat flat 20 Crit Chance bonus, I assume it’s one of those reliable, if a bit boring, builds.

Summon Scorpion: Essentially synonymous with Aspect of the Viper & its Poison bonuses, Scorpion is one of those pets that have only a few roles, but can handle those roles just fine. Its survivability is pretty good if you can get it to kill enemies, as it has a node that heals it for 20-30% of its Max Health if it gets a kill. Poison Nova is a pretty decent companion ability, but its conversion options are fairly lacking. Giving it Cold conversion grants it the standard Cold minion bonuses, alongside Ice Sting which is a good damage multiplier. Lightning Nova ability is completely useless. There are just too many good Lightning companions to bother having a Scorpion on the team.

Also, FIX the scorpion babies not spawning in Monoliths. We want moar babies!

Summon Sabertooth: A speedy, ferocious melee companion that specializes on having as many melee attacks hit an enemy as possible. Swipe’s Aspect of the Panther currently affecting the Sabertooth tree makes it extremely fast, and having multiple ways to proc Fury Swipes (%chance on melee attack, Fury Swipes on Leap, Frenzy Totem giving it a doublecast) makes it an expert in providing DoTs per hit. The sad thing is: Ice Tiger converts its base Physical damage to Cold, but does not convert Bleed Chance to Frostbite chance. I really hope that gets fixed soon.

As for the spells, somebody forgot to notify the team that Sabertooth is now a Beastmaster-only skill and thus has no real way of scaling its spell damage. These need to simply be scrapped (10 second cooldown & a quarter of your entire skill point resource on reducing its Cold sub-spell cooldowns? This is just so mind-boggling bad)

Summon Raptor: I’ve made this complaint in the Shaman thread, and I’m going to make it here: having a full skill tree where only one path is actually good is horrendous design and turns the game into “avoid the fun-looking traps and only pick the optimal path.” Granted, the one path Raptor has available to it is REALLY GOOD, especially with War Cry’s Berserk applicable to it. But everything else in the tree? Just… Why?

The entire left side of the skill tree is just a massive trap. 5 skill points for Elemental Resistance & Dodge Rating? Not one, but two companion sub-abilities with 8-10 second cooldowns when other skills can apply the stated effects instantly? A 1.15X multiplier that requires 10 kills (so useless in boss battles) when you can have Scent of Blood, which already provides up to 1.5X multiplier, & Ravage, which is an actually good ability that helps grant guaranteed Crits and huge Crit multipliers – both of which that just require the enemy to Bleed?

For a supposed Mastery skill, if you’re not causing your enemy to Bleed, the Raptor is just a useless waste of an ability. No conversions, a companion ability that just makes it really, really big (which is fun when you combine it with Eterra’s Blessing, but targeting it is pretty hard on controller, and Frenzy Totem is just a better skill if you want to spam Rampage), and no intractability with any of the other companions. Yeah, keep the Bleed and Rampage stuff (but lose the Slow and Fear stuff, nobody needs it or wants it), toss out the rest and make it a skill that’s worth choosing the Mastery.

Summon bear was one of the best companions before 1.0 imo.

it was played as a relfect build where you made the bear run in and draw aggro, after taking a flat amount of damage it would shoot out a burst of thorns that would damage nearby enemies. As you scaled into end game, your bear would take more damage, and thus shoot more quills.

it was extremely simple but really fun to play microing the bear into the correct areas to eat aoes to just shit out reflect quills. it was like the most practical “Reflect” style build.

Sadly in 1.0 for whatever reason EHG decided that summon bear deserved to no longer be in the game, and added a 1 second cooldown to the thorn reflect probably under some guise of server health despite tons of other builds im sure that shit out effects with no cooldown.

So until bear gets reworked its dead in the water. its way to slow and clunky currently to be a good solo companion. and will exist as a taunt bot where you basically dont even need to specialize it cause it gets very little from its tree.

(Yes im salty, justice for bear. Falconer gets to destroy the game with its solo companion but bear has to get nerfed? unreal.)