Base Class to Mastery

Hi All,

First time LE player here. Besides the 5 minute zone loading and errors I’ve been getting I’m really enjoying the game.

I have a question about skills transferring when you go from your base class to a mastery class (which I’m just shy of hitting)…

So I’ve been leveling up Glacier and loving it, but now that I have to contemplate moving over to Runemaster I’ve been looking for guides and advice and Glacier doesn’t seem to be included in many Runemaster discussions.

I’m not a min/maxer, but I DO enjoy feeling powerful and blowing through my enemies, so I’d like to play an effective build.

My question is: whatever the class - how do you handle investing heavily into your main damage skill for 20 levels, then specializing? Do you typically take skills that overlap between the base and mastery classes? (I haven’t hit mastery yet, so I’m assuming you still access to your base class skills…)

What if your main base skill is something people recommend you DON’T use when you go mastery…do you just despec it and start leveling your new mastery bread and butter skill(s) from scratch?

Wasn’t sure how that worked so thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I usually respec everything when I get the skills I need for the build. For example, when I was doing earthquake build, I was just leveling with wolves and swipe, when I unlocked earthquake I respecced all skills. It doesn’t take long for skills to catch up again, the campaign isn’t hard so you can still kill everything and I like to watch the build grow.

And yes, your skills are still available after mastery. The only skills you can’t use are the mastery specific skills for masteries you didn’t choose.

Most guides for runemaster don’t use glacier because they have better skills. But you can keep leveling with it if you’re having fun.

If you’ve ever played PoE whenever you have to use a new skill it takes the full 1-20, unless you buy it maxed already. Which means you can’t use it. On the other hand EHG has something called a min spec level, that means when you choose to despec and use a new skill, that skill automatically starts off at the min spec with that many points. I would recommend trying new skills as leveling them actually take little time later on in the game. But also builds have tried and tested those skills and the reason they don’t use them is because they don’t scale well, or there’s no items that boost that skill and it’s “dead” in end-game. Those skills are commonly referred to as “noob traps” because they seem very powerful early on, but as you level you won’t find many items to boost your power specifically in that skill.

There’s no harm in playing a game just for fun, use the skills you want. As EHG said, most builds will be viable end-game. But again “cookie-cutter” builds made and tested by the community are usually going to be much more efficient in end-game.

Thank you very much for the information! I didn’t realize that you get minimum skill points when you switch as well as the accelerated xp for the skills. Makes me much less worried about ruining my build and actually trying out new things.

Appreciate the responses :smiley: