Auto pickup shards

Speak for yourself. I read them all the time. It’s how I decide whether I want to pick them up or not, especially if they’re not already right next to me.

That’s not a conclusion, it’s a decision. If you’re going to be condescending, at least use the proper words.

Not to mention, they said the same thing with trade, but after enough feedback offered a new solution. Just because you enjoy reading and clicking all the shard drops, does not mean everyone else shares your enthusiasm.

3 Likes

con-clu-sion
2. a judgment or decision reached by reasoning.

- Oxford English Dictionary

I’d also define irony, but I think you just did that for me. Sorry your cape fell off.

I never said I enjoy it. Clicking shards as I run around is just a thing I do. That doesn’t mean I enjoy it, it means I’m not manufacturing frustration over something that is not even remotely an inconvenience unless I make it one on purpose.

1 Like

Really? I’m with @doombybbr on this one, i don’t care what the shards are, I’ll pick up everyone amd just dump them into the crafting stash when ever I go to my inventory and see a load of shards.

IMO they’re just a faceless crafting currency that i don’t particularly care about unless I don’t have enough.

11 Likes

“crafting currency” - absolutely this.

The fact is that there is no mechanics that the shards are currently using (like maybe combining them to get rarer shards or whatever) - except for being crafting currency.

And they don’t even stack.

They are just like gold, since I see someone above said it’s not. Yes it is. As a pile of 10 gold is worth less than a pile of 300 gold, so too an Attunement shard is worth less than an All Resist shard (or whatever, in the end the rarity of it may be subjective to your build).

The fact that the player can empty his inventory with one more click just underscores how no decision must be made. Just dump them.

This is the main difference between shards and items, you can’t really dump items (not without resetting the whole echo) so from this perspective too, shards are just like gold.

Imagine all the gold you pick would take 1 slot in the inventory, would not stack or add up (so two piles would take two slots regardless of them being of equal value or not) and then you’d have to open your inventory and transfer the gold to your gold bag or whatever.

7 Likes

I agree with the rest, shards are just an amorphous mass of things.
I click them out of habit more than anything else. I never intentionally read them, and whenever I read them, I end up questioning why I am even picking them up to be honest.

I never found a shard I was looking for as a random and noticed (probably dropped them at some point, just did not read them).
To this end, let me recycle a post about shattering uniques into rare affix shards:

Rare affix shards have such a minuscule chance to be useful, it is delusional to believe you can ever find a useful one on the ground.

5 Likes

True.

EHG are well within their rights to withhold any future plans, roadmaps or design documents.

As demonstrated by Mike’s earlier post, they are already sharing more than they had in the past (which was basically shards are items, as you said).

Yet.

To clarify and expand on my earlier post, auto pick-up and auto-transfer (and they should be considered separately) introduce a design constraint which doesn’t currently exist.

Yes, it would be more convenient, but it would also constrain future opportunities.

Here are some entirely rigorous and well considered dumb ideas:

• a mechanic which explodes items on the ground and shards do more damage than regular items
  • a dungeon ability which upgrades or adjusts shards on the ground or in your inventory and then shards are exchanged at the end of the dungeon
  • a glyph which applies shards adjacent to it in your inventory to your weapon
  • fishing which uses shards as bait

Ok, that last one is impressively ridiculous, I admit.

These (and better ideas) are all opportunities which EHG would likely have to forgo if shards are not items on the ground and/or in the inventory.

Should a convenience feature (even a popular one) be implemented even if it means forgoing all these opportunities?

Perhaps.

But, for now at least, it seems EHG has decided against that.

2 Likes

Imagine having actual worthwhile items to pickup fairly frequently but nope… seems like shards are enough.

I picked up my fair share of shards and it’s simple: It’s 2 unnessesary steps that slow you down,
Since the crafting stahs is there I don’t look at shards anymore. I click the color and when my inventory is full I click the move button.
2 complety useless actions to take and I can’t come up with a worthwhile explaintion even after I’ve read what Mike said.
This all sounds like a lame excuse so people have to pickup at least something when everything else drops so bad it might be even more obvious if we don’t have to click shards. Every time this topic comes up and a dev is answering it the whole thing feels more and more like a crutch to keep people playing.
You can make enemys drop bricks you are able to pick up and throw away when the inventory is full would be equaly exciting.

The status quo right now is pretty bad and I’m simply used to it and gave up on the topic because for whatever reason the Devs don’t move an inch and the topic and mechanic is to stupid to “fight” for it.
Bad ingame system for bad reasons and badly executed… at least from my point of view.

9 Likes

Nah. The everage Joe that had already followed LE for some time, already knows that.

Of course. But don’t you think it might help the case for people to know a glimpse of what these future plans would be? Yes, I think so.

Why not? Fishing works in every game :smile:.

I think what Mike said about increasing pickup radius and having shards drop more in a bunch will already make an impact. And I look forward to see how this feels. I’m not complaining about autopickup that much. It doesn’t feel to bad since Mike implemented the suction function back in the days. And its true that the most annoying thing is when shards are on the ground separately.

But that inventory thing is what i dont like that much because it clutters your inventory. Even more if you already picked up some items. The space gets less and less and forces me to push that “send to stash” button more and more frequently.

My proposals up to this day were

• Automate the send to stash
  • give that function a keybind or clickable symbol on the UI so I dont need to open the inventory
  • Make the shards stackable
  • add a seperate shards inventory so shards don’t eat up your item inventory space

The first 2 “yes” are hard to believe for me. Is that measurable? How? Is that what you think people do?

4 Likes

Great points you made Kovitikus. No need to complicate this any more. Its pretty clear a vast majority would prefer an easier more automated pickup of shards. Of course there’s trolls who want to argue with anyone who gives them the time of day who will try to say “oh no clicking on shards is so wonderful because X Y Z” but if given the option we all know damn well they would pick auto.

@EHG_Mike Why not try a setting selection to please everyone, settings toggle between current system and something with much less repetitive clicking . Or make a companion pet that picks up shards for the player and put it on cash shop, biggest seller guaranteed. Either way consider something other than increase vacuum and adding in shard sinks, any sinks really suck for newer players, well sinks suck for everyone. Its a lazy solution to a common gaming problem you dont seem to have here, shards are useful. Im sure ppl use chaos, so all shards are useful already.

Because that’s the same thing as changing the system, which we don’t want to do. We’ve heard all the feedback on it. I’ve read all these posts. There isn’t anything novel in them. The most recent in-depth discussion with the entire design team was held very recently.

We will be implementing the changes I have referenced above and will then evaluate the new feedback after that.

2 Likes

Fair enough and thanks for responding, looking forward to the new changes. Im a fan either way, love the game its literally all I play since MP release.

I’m looking forward for more infos on it or the actual implementation ingame. So far it sounds like you still have the useless clutter in the new system and to the functionality of shards and you make them interchangeable. I think the root of the problem will still be there even if I say “Yay! i can change my ~5k phys resi shards against 100 +whater level shards!”. pickung up shards will still be the same old thing people aren’t exited about.

But maybe I’m wrong here we’ll see sooner or later.

1 Like

Yeah came back to the game, and thought the same… Also gold, but less of a problem than shards. :stuck_out_tongue: Shards for sure.

Edit also runes.

That’s a rather intresting thing to say because I think runes are 100x more intresting then shards and I would’ve 0 problems picking these up.

Is there a single person playing this game who finds a point and actually enjoys pressing the “Send shards to inventory button?”

All the people who remember the time without this feature are pretty happy it’s there for sure :smiley: . The better question is: Does anyone thinks it’s a wonderfull solution that should stay ingame because it’s the best possible thing to have?

I am not a troll and being so dismissive of another person’s opinion is impolite (at best).

I’d accept auto-pickup if that were the path EHG chose (after all, it’s not my game, its theirs).

Given the choice, I’d rather they didn’t.

nothing will change, because the shards will still not be read.

So long as shards cannot be filtered, they will be very hard to distinguish from other shards without taking the TIME to read them, and clusters of shards will just be visual clutter. noise that distracts from running fast and killing mobs. And as reading takes time that is better spent picking it up, there is essentially no decision making process if you are running fast through echos - which is “pick them up if you see them, otherwise ignore”.

If you want shards to have weight, let players filter them and actually make a downside to picking up bad ones, but as they only take up one inventory slot and can be insta-sent to stash - there is no downside to pickups. You already have a aoe loot that triggers on click too, so players will pick up the group of shards rather than the single specific shard. they will not think of a group of shards as each individual one, just as a group.

3 Likes

You’re acting as if the shards are named like the title of an Isekai anime. They’re short and can be read in less than a half second. I’m making the immediate decision on whether on not I bother picking up individual shards. When there’s a large group of shards I’ll go to pick them up regardless. I think the changes Mike suggested will be plenty enough to make picking them up easier (it was already not a problem) and we should see how the game feels after those changes.

1 Like