Auto-cast should be a feature in-game or prevented totally

As the title says, not sure why a modern ARPG would not include the option to auto-cast skills without num-lock or completely remove the ability to do so.

Common players often don’t know or get confused for this method, gating such basic behavior of skills behind non-intuitive actions

Dev have express they do not like the auto cast gameplay.

Malestorm this patch is a fine example and probably more to come.

Num lock is a pc functionality? Hardly anything to do with EHG.

A modern person playing a modern arpg probably have modern solutions like a programmable mouse or KB if they need autocast so badly.

Well, that’s exactly my point.

It IS entirely and completely up to EHG how a skill works. It IS entirely up to them to create a skill that has not meaningful gameplay interaction and the only benefit of pushing the skill is keeping a passive bonus or similar.

Like “Anomaly” for Void Knights… with "Time Lord’ it becomes a personal buff and pushing the key for it is more a hindrance than a “feel good” moment, and thus why its always desired to be auto-cast.

Considering we have 5 skill slots, having 1 taken for a skill that barely feels good enough to actively be pressed IS a problem for EHG.

I dont care either way they decide, if auto-casting is a nono or a whatever on their book, the problem is building a game with this type of problem from the get-go.

Any game in the genre suffers of it in some degree or form and Id find naive of them to not tackle it from the ground, before it arises the level of stuff like “Flasks piano” in PoE.

Considering how common mouses and kboards that can be programmed, yes, the matter is ONLY an EHG matter.

There is some information if you want to know what they are planning.

Also, the way certain things are built right now means even trying to stop the numlock auto-casting is a complete waste of time on EHGs part. Just look at PoE and flask macros for an example.

In LE (or any game really), as long as there is no opportunity cost to casting a spell and that spell provides a benefit, you want to cast it. The way instant casts work in LE you dont even stutter step when casting. So any kind of buff, stacking spell, or auto targeting spell you will almost invariably want to cast as soon as the CD is up as long as you can afford the mana. The CDs would need to be several minutes long probably to get to the point where the opportunity cost outweighed the benefit of auto-casting. Think summoner spells in LoL for a buff to CD ratio in order to not want to cast as soon as the CD is up.

I say trying to stop numlock casting is pointless, and mentioned PoE, because its going to take all of 90 seconds to write an AHK script to press your buff button every quarter second. It would take someone who’s never used AHK a day in their life all of 20 minutes to learn how to use AHK well enough to write their own auto-buff script.

Well it’s not pointless at all since they’ve limited a lot the use of Autocast in several builds.

Some work still is left, but the more they get the game rid of all interest for autocast, the better the game is.

I know people who thought autocast was necessary in every build lmao, like playing mage and using autocast on flame ward because “this is the way it’s meant to be played”. Avoiding that stupid state of mind is a great thing, and i hope they push it out of the game as much as they can.

You are complaining about a thing that is already a “known issue”. You are just impatient with it getting fixed.

EHG has a vision of how a given skill should function. In that, they do not want skills to just be set to autocast. They want skills that the player wants to interact with. If a skill is mostly set to autocast with the numlock trick, EHG will probably rework the skill at some point. They have already done this to several skills.

As far as I can tell, they don’t like skills being “passive” either. They want skills to have an active use. Even Holy Aura has an active use, although I have never heard of someone building it for that.

1 Like

I think that if they do not like auto-cast they should make all skills not have a cooldown or make all cooldown skills do cool things if you do not press them immediately(BY DEFAULT, instead of just requiring so many points in the tree).

We have had this discussion many times now.

Some want to hammer as many keys as possible all the time, like in League of Legends and the like.
→ Do I see a general lack of movement there? :stuck_out_tongue:
This can be remedied…

The others want 0 to 2 button builds.
→ Most Minion builds (even the formerly ephemeral Abominations and Wraiths can now be run permanently) are something like that.
→ Don’t know anyone who wants to hammer 4 to 5+ buttons permanently for 20 hours on a weekend among friends.

What I want to say:

If each ability is unique in its own way (and they all are so far) and some per class are suitable for some kind of autocast, at least leave this now reduced choice to the players who would like to regulate it with a maximum of 2 “active buttons”.

All the others can like 5 keys “durchzwiebeln” (came no translation here) :grin: /smash.

In addition, I would like to note that if apparently so many players fall back on autocast / macros, there will be one or the other (good?) Reasons for it besides the prevention of a possible carpal tunnel syndrome.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

also, i use a keyboard without a keypad or numlock, so i can’t do it.

i was really surprised when i first heard about auto-cast that it had to be implemented via a keyboard “trick”.

Well, it’s baseline windows functionality…

but i use linux … :laughing:

also i’m not sure what you mean by that, doesn’t autocast require your keyboard to have a numlock key and numeric keypad ?

i admit i’m being lazy and not reading how exactly it works because, well , i don’t have a numlock key or numeric keypad.

With numlock on, your numberpad works and skills can be bound to them. If you hold down the button that your skill is bound to, and turn off the numlock, it acts as if the number is constantly being held down.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.