Armor vs Armour - Spelling inconsistency

Both spellings are used in the game. While either can be argued to be correct, it is certainly not good to have both in game! This is especially obvious when using the search function in the passives screen.

Hey there… As far as I can deduce based on @EHG_Kain use of the word in dev posts and the use of the word on the LE website etc, I would guess that the American spelling is default. But I dont recall if EHG has specifically confirmed this/even been asked.

If you are so inclined, and use LE Discord tool-tip-hunt / forum bug section, please can you put screenshots of the items you find with these kinds of issues… I know lots of players have used this process to highlight plenty of grammatical / spelling errors in the past… It will help the devs to update them either way…

1 Like

Yes, this is something we certainly need to adjust, and before we can do things like localization. Typically we do try to keep things to American English, though being human I do slip up once in a while and use everywhere else in the world English instead.

As Vapourfire mentioned, we do have a tooltip hunt channel on the forum, where you can post references to any incorrectly spelled, worded, or just ‘wrong’ tooltips, or you can use the bug report forum as well - though I think we are aware of most instances of this, we just need to commit to the hunt to chase them down and fix them all, which would likely happen before we start localization efforts.

Edit: sorry, I left out part of the response I meant to include. For more reference regarding these changes - In Last Epoch some tags are written manually by hand, while others are generated automatically by the system based on attached tags. This is one of the challenges we have regarding localization, and mention in the FAQ, and something we’re already working on fixing. So I don’t at all mean to be dismissive of these discrepancies, we are working on them, just due to the nature of how descriptions work make it a larger task than it may appear at the surface.

2 Likes

Most people call that “correct”…

(To be clear, this reply is semi joking in nature before anyone gets all offended.)

I object to this. There is no such thing as American English. There is English, and there is English. I say this with affection, as an Englishman who lived in the States for almost a decade earlier in life. The Americans took my beloved language and butchered it, just butchered it. We evolved a language over centuries, fine tuning it as needed. We exported it all over the world, and no other nation felt the need to “adapt” it. We then graciously lent it to America back before we leased out that nation (they call it independence).
However, for some reason, they couldn’t spell the words they spoke correctly, so they decided to change them to a more phonetic version. OU seems to be a major problem. In America there is a chronic shortage of “U”'s in the wild, so words like Armour, Honour, Humour had to adapt and all the “U”'s were dropped in the bid to conserve these precious and endangered “U”'s.
Perhaps one day, when letters once again become more common in America, the correct spellings will be reinstated, but until such time “American English” is not actually a language at all, but merely a conservation placeholder language for proper English. :smile:

1 Like

It’s a dialect, just like Scouse, Mancunian, Geordie, Brum, Received Pronounciation, Cockney, whatever it is they speak in the bottom left of the UK and Glasgow shudder. Basically, anything that anyone outside of the M25 speaks is probably barbaric & not “proper”.

1 Like

Happens everywhere, you can call it dialect, or local evolution/adaptation.

It happens even with the real languages, like Spanish, or German, French…

Sincerely, from Spain.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.