Arenas need a reworking ASAP. What are the devs thinking? ($$$ obviously)

But he’s so edgy and cool! I needs to be like him!!!

3 Likes

He’s edgy all right. Kinda like a junk car hit by a train and then mashed into a square in the scrap yard. But I don’t think that’s the edgy they were going for.

It’s like these don’t exist:

If you got to Arena wave 400, you’d use a memory key and start on wave 200. That’s still 200 divided by 5, FOURTY times you have to pause combat and say “yes, I’d like to keep playing”.

Again, this isn’t an argument. There are even threads on reddit, the place where low-lifes WORSHIP game devs… and even they collectively agreed Arenas are stale, tedious, and not fun.

That’s the issue with this game and you can see it in the player numbers and activity. People install the game, get excited because everything feels decent, and then the ‘systems’ hit. Meaningless loot system, no fun items that change combat very much, and even when you do find one for your build it needs LP to compete with even a regular rare and then if its high level you have to be able to do Julra on T4 to mod it.

You see the same thing with most of the steam reviews for this game. Most of the positive reviews say something that includes that they are being patient with the Devs because the game has potential.

I’d say 4 years or however long this has been, has been a lot of time to show whether the devs were going to exceed or disappoint. Turns out it was all a cash grab to attempt to sell plain looking cloaks for $25 a smack.

I don’t get how you guys can have a company pull a switcheroo like this on you, and still not smell the baguette in the oven. I can’t think of any company whose game was in early development, whom had FAILED to release several of their classes they promised, and then pull out a box from behind their back ‘hehe $25 for this cloak, Sir’.

Honestly the worst cash grab since that $250 Darth Vader character game that company released (only heard about it).

Do I sound salty? Yes, I’m salty because this game legitimately HAD potential to be fun long term. Turns out to be the same formula you see with all dev companies in 2023, try to make money off whales and move onto the next product.

The cherry pick is strong amongst the white knighting in this forum. You have issue with one sentence, and automatically disregard everything else – which many others happen to agree with and/or have pointed out in past. Get off your goddamn morality soapbox and add some constructive rebuttal, if he is so wrong. Otherwise, stop throwing stones in your glass house.

1 Like

Hey, i thought it’s really sad, because the guy has some valid criticism, but instead of presenting it in a constructive way, he just wraps it in rants and insults.

It is hard to take somebody serious who is having a nervous breakdown over a video game.

6 Likes

Greetings Travelers,

Thanks for providing your honest feedback. We truly do appreciate it.

That said, this thread is getting a little rough. I’d like to remind everyone to be respectful to one another. Please stay on topic, and contribute to the conversation in a constructive manner.

5 Likes

As much as this thread is a mess, including the OP, he does have some points that I agree with.

Having meaningless loot in the middle is annoying. Having to click “continue” every 5 waves is annoying. Lack of meaningful rewards is annoying, changing the map every 3 minutes probably is annoying too. The process is boring for the most part.

I can’t really suggest any improvements other than to perhaps look at the Grim Dawn crucible reward system, and perhaps put in something like that. Remove the individual bucket rewards every 5 waves and condense it into a portal you can enter every 100 waves where all that loot is condensed there, maybe with a NPC that you talk to who asks you a few questions with multiple choices, asking you what type of loot you want; more helmets, more weapons, more idols, more exalted chance, whatever. Then enter a room with 10 chests or something and enjoy. Maybe just something to look forward to.

The ‘click continue’ every 5 waves could be changed to every 10 waves, hes right, we don’t need that popping up so often, so maybe just start with that.

Yeah I play arena, its my main focus, but still I don’t feel that interested in doing arena. I just force myself through it, because I want a leaderboard position/competition, but if I had to be honest, I don’t enjoy it all of alot. And I have other people who tell me arena is extremely boring for x and y reason, and I think to myself, hmm, hes actually right, that is mundane when you put it like that.

Some small improvements could be made for sure, but maybe it requires alot more thought and time to figure out what those improvements would be.

3 Likes

This is a quality rant, honestly.

And, potentially, not acting like a monumental bellend while describing the problems. Your post was fine, the OP’s, not quite so much.

2 Likes

A lot of these more negative reviews are coming out at a fortuitous time for other titles like D4. I can’t help but notice the outrageous language and vitriol being infused in some of these more recent posts. Words like “unfair”, “punish” and “money obviously”, are thrown out casually, all inappropriately of course. I’d hate to speculate too much, but I just think it’s interesting that people are coming out with the torches now when EHG has been nothing but thoughtful and receptive to all of the feedback we’ve given them so far. They’ve done next to nothing to warrant or encourage this type of backlash. Yet, a tiny minority of posts seem to think they have. Hopefully this is just coincidence and not some kind of bad-will campaign on the part of corporate ne’er-do-wells who have an interest in astroturfing something like this.

In any case, I’ve leveled five characters now and never used the arena, so it can’t be too much of an issue. My experience has been that just completing monolith ends you up somewhere between levels 96 and 100 and that takes a total of about 120 hours, from level 1 all the way to the end of Empowered Monolith. For an ARPG this feels like a lot, but I don’t think the arena is the issue, so much as just a lot of padding of playtime on the tail end of the game. In general, as long as the game is fun and what you’re doing is interesting, it’s not a huge problem. I would just much rather get to see my character leveled and see what it’s capable of a little sooner than that. Anywhere between 40 and 80 hours would feel better. (While I’m sure there are probably players who have figured out how to do it in that amount of time already, I’m talking about normal play, not optimal play.)

4 Likes

I’d be surprised if you could look at the D4 player numbers and notice if the entire LE playerbase jumped ship. Some people just like to shit on any game that isn’t the one they’ve attached their flag to or become emotionally invested in.

Also, the irony of using $$$ as a slight if one is into modern Blizzard games…

4 Likes

Don’t worry, just a few months and we get 1.0, where all bugs will be fixed, we get three new polished and balanced ascendancy classes, and systems like the arena will get a major overhaul to make them more enjoyable /s

1 Like

Right - If corporate greed and dodgy product quality were what people avoided in this industry. they’d play LE and nothing else at this point. What I find so disgusting about these types of accusations in this context is that they’re a type of anti-truth. Reality happens to be the exact opposite of what they’re describing here.

Welcome to the forums!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As for the rest…

Calm the farm… Its a game not a raving lunatic threatening your loved ones.

If you dont like it go do something else…

2 Likes

It’s too bad that the OP has some really valid points, but will be all in vain because he does not know how to talk and respect others :sob::sob:
One good missed opportunity for fair feedback.
Even me have downvoted, as much as I agree with some of his arguments.
Arena does need something better.

This is and old post of mine basically with the same thinking of OP:

"Endless Arena, do you all like how it is now?

I think it need some tweaks. Its literally not thrilling enough for a long ride just for the sake of seeing how far you can go, and not rewarding enough for farming the barrels every 5 waves. Not to mention its too long, the progression is extremely time-consuming, and has a precarious replay system.

Dont get me wrong, I love what the game offers. Its my first char, and I finally made it to end game content. After struggling a lot to build my bladedancer now I can farm easly 200+ corruption timelines, I can finish Arena T4.

Im the guy who love doing these kinds of endless rounds/ waves, but the way its here is boring from the start. This should be one of the main topics in end game, should be more elaborated.

There are some easy things that could be implemented:

1 - The difficult should go higher more quickly. You take forever doing hundreds of similar waves.
2 - Tweak the arena key of memory. It desperately needs a better system. My game crashed while I was doing wave 250 (my first atempt), I used one and went back to wave 120. I gave up at wave 130 and now I will start at wave 100 next time.
3 - A boss every 10 rounds, so that it becomes more challenging and more thrilling to fight the arena. This also match the need for more unique enemies / bosses in the game. So you can put them in here.
4 - A special chest every 50 rounds, with better drops, nothing to make the game unbalanced, but something rewarding."

3 Likes

OP needs a damn chill pill. No one likes such insufferable, insulting whinging. There are enough Karens and conspiracy twits foaming at the mouth out there, we don’t need them in a damned video game forum, too.

That said, Arena is boring. I’m sure they have plans for a good rework as it doesn’t feel good right now compared to monolith, and not having touched it since before Empowered Mono were implemented I can only imagine the loot isn’t as satisfying. I keep meaning to try it again at some point but I keep forgetting to bother because even Arena echoes get annoying. I think it’s mostly the layouts and how the spawners work. I don’t want to do just that for an hour+ and have little to show for it. Grim Dawn’s Forgotten Gods DLC endless dungeon is a far more engaging (and barely any more sophisticated) implementation of the same basic thing, though I’ve never tried Crucible mode despite owning it lol

2 Likes

Crucible is a great example of a functional and thrilling arena mode. I never played forgotten gods endless dungeon, and while the crucible was not endless , till 170 waves in 3 different difficult, it was very engaging too.

1 Like

I would add tiers like dungeon tiers every 100 levels. For example level 300 would be T3. Once I unlock T3 i can select it to start from there any time (like with dungeons).

The reason I’d like that it is because

• you split the amount of time to play arena for people who cannot push for several hours straight
  • if you have a new build, you can faster get to its limit
3 Likes

Its a nice suggestion, could work. The way it is now I really cant see the point of people spending, 2, 3, 4 hours fighting hundreds of similar waves that offer very little reward and the worst part, the experience fail to be a trhrilling, fun or adventurous ride. I know there is the ladder system, to compete with each other is some kind of fun, there is a good sensation with it, but come one, we could have something more elaborated and more fair to our playtime.
I hope im not being boring or repetitive, but Ill take another game one more time. Some waves in Grim Dawn Crucible summoned 3 to 4 bosses in the same wave. My heart sped up trying to beat those bastards. I had to actively run looking for best positions, avoid some attacks, look for the best option to kill it first. It was a hell of a fight but very thrilling.
Its just one suggestion/example, im not that creative, they dont necessarily need to copy other game system. I know EHG have people that can come up with others suggestions, other ideas to spice up the challenge in arena.

Maybe Im going too far, I dont know if its possible to balance a fight like this, but imagine achieving Wave 300 and you have to fight Emperor or Corpses, one of the Orobyss and an Empowered version of regular bosses, lets say Empowered God Hunter Argentus. That would be a real challenge. Going even far, for these kind of content, we would need stronger mobile bosses focused more on single target damage. Some of the strongest bosses around here are just giant or static structures, or with too much area damage covering almost all the screen that would be impossible to put 2 bosses in the same space.