Are the monolith boss "DoTs" overpowered?

After dieing to Lagon’s eye beam several times, I wondered is it overpowered? I have ~1.7k hp + cold (or lightning) protection so it’s doing at least 800 damage per tick (I don’t think I had any damage modifiers that would affect Lagon) with somewhere like 10-20 ticks per second which seems a trifle excessive.

Clearly you are supposed to avoid it & I totally agree that it’s my “fault” for not doing so (or not quite understanding it’s targetting/mechanics). But I do wonder whether that is a “reasonable” amount of damage & tick rate for a DoT which is usually the definition of sustained damage (as against burst). IMO, I think that if you don’t manage to avoid the attack then it taking you down by ~1/2 your life or something would be reasonable ie, ~800-900 damage over the entire number of ticks as necessary to fully sweep over you, of it you’re moving through it (Shield Rush) then you take less damage due to being in the beam less.

I’d probably say the same about Void Rahyeh’s DoT beam as well but that’s less powerful because it’s at a lower level.

I think Lagon’s moon attack one-shotting you isn’t unreasonable as it’s a big single hit (burst).

I quite like Rahyeh’s “pie chart” attack because it does a moderate amount of damage if it does clip you but you still have time to rectify your mistake. And pies are nice, especially Mr Kipling’s (regrettably discontinued back in the 90s) Apple & Custard pies.

If you look at all mechanics currently present in the game, boss mechanics and also some of the trash mob mechanics, almost all sorts of “DoT” mechanics are very lethal, while alot of the slams, aoe or otherwise telegraphed abilities can be very dangerous, but not all are.

I think a big part of this is the nature of Glancing Blow being a big part of the defense system in LE. And since GB is not affecting DoT’s in anyway i would argue that DoT’s are just not balanced with that in mind most of the time.

Maybe we need a general rebalancing of some base damage values for certain things like all kind’s of DoT based attacks.

I know, if DoTs are traditionally sustained damage, why do they hit so hard? Lagon’s eye beam didn’t gradually wear me down, it burst me down in ~2-3 ticks, all in a tiny fraction of a second.

One could also say the same about the Soul Cages.

Yep, that was one of the mob types i was refering too. If those attacks leave enough room for player reaction might be another discussion , but generally as you already stated “DoT” tend to hit way harder then you usually would expect them.

I think some of those DoT based abilities could be made weaker. They would be still very letha leven with some decreased damage. Also some of those effects could be made slightly “bigger” in size when nerfing the damage. That way they are more “engaging” in the combat flow i think.

For Example of the Cone Breat from the Soul Cages would be alot wider and had mroe range, but would tick less, you could actually survive them if you made a small mistake but react instantly.

Some “DoT” type abilities feel like literal “one-shots” which does not feel right.

1 Like

The Covenant of Dominion’s ignites seem a bit dangerous too, specifically the one from the random-direction fire trail that you may or may not be able to dodge. Unless there’s a way to predict what directions the ignite patches will go.

2 Likes

I’ve posted a bug report about Siege Golem Flamethrower.

Siege Golem

Had ward, full globe of health before screenshot and 0/694.

The thing is there was no warning - nothing for the player to react to … my ward did not slowly deplete and neither did my health. Just death.

Agreed, while the boomerang disc thingy has a good wind up animation that is visible and fair. The ground trail thingy has no realy indicator(before the ability goes off). And you get several stacks of ignite in mere fractions of a second.

oh look someone makin thread that say rahyes DoT is Overpowered but say in soul cage DoT literally 1shot and saying it is fine in other thread LuL.

Was actually going to post this.

LLama is the advocate for Rahyeh being ‘easy’ yet to me Lagon is a joke.

I can do Lagon barely taking any damage, If you get hit by his extremely slowly sweeping breath attack, then you incredibly fucked up since you can outwalk this with no movement speed

Rahyeh you need 2kEHP or to dodge 5 instances of his 1 shot cross attack perfectly oh and hes lvl 68 btw

So remove Glancing Blow and adjust hit damage around that

The devs have it all wrong, everytime they code a monster they need to take into account its hit damage reduced by 50% and their dots doing 100% damage, not a good balancing tool

the eye beam is about the only thing he can kill you with. it would be a boring fight if the damage was lowered.
i found not standing in the middle of the platform helps a lot. standing to one side you can move to the other side when you see him ramping up for the eye beam. Took me three tries to kill him, but now i know the pattern its easy.

I don’t find boss DoTs to be overpowered specifically. I find DoTs in general to be bit too lethal. I would say the main problem is that those DoTs tick way too often. The damage of a single tick is fine I think, but they sometimes give you no time to move out of it before it kills you.
The already mentioned Covenant of Dominion has killed more of my (HC) characters than monolith bosses combined.

Surely this is build dependant though?

I don’t think we can ever say bosses are either too hard or a joke for every type of build. I recently tried Lagon with a summoner Necro and found the fight a buggy mess. Certainly didn’t find him a joke.

And I’m willing to accept that I was wrong, hence the thread.

And Yulia’s cold dot in the first quest echo for Ruin of the empire.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.