Can we discuss about this SOUL CAGE mobs

I’m pretty sure plenty of “high performing” streamers have died while on ostensibly easy maps due to not paying attention (especially in Delirium with its hidden on death effects), so you’re neither the first nor the last…

some of these guy relly dont understand what DoT means , DoT arent suppose to 1shot u , even 1scd i could have click flask to save myself from my mistake . also i using orian eye , 10% reduce damage over time , also still getting 1shot lul

I noticed some people were having trouble with the Soul Cage, here’s a quick guide on how to not get killed by this pesky Bone Dog.

https://imgur.com/a/1tj0EMW

8 Likes

That is the most detailed guide i have ever seen for any video game. Great Job!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what good guides look like. Now you just need to do that in your video…

1 Like

The soul cage doesn’t spin while channelling, but the other mobs that have big telegraphed slam attacks (eg, the beetle queen, the lizards that do a slam attack) can rotate while they’re casting/winding up & IMO that should be changed. Since that ****s over melee again more than ranged…

All the dangerous mobs do DOT damage in this game. Ice bats, soul cage, fire golem, and most bosses fall under this category. Seems like intentional design with almost no DOT damage reduction in the game. Which kind of sucks tbh if you want to make a tanky character you will always have one damage type that still wrecks you.

Pretty sure Protections do mitigate dot damage.

They do, DoTs just aren’t affected by glancing blow or dodge. I’ve said before, I wonder if we’re all used to glancing blow reducing the hits by 50% that when a DoT comes along & it’s not reduced by 50% we are all surprised by the damage.

Assuming DoTs aren’t broken somehow & ignoring protections or something. @Sarno @Hackaloken

Regarding DoTs possibly broken …

I had this death from a Siege Golem this morning. And another last night, very similar. I’ve raised a possible bug report about it.

Siege Golem Death

I still have ward, life globe shows some red and yet 0/694.

Not sure what I “did-not-do” to stop this from happening. An answer from devs would be terrific!

Ok, I know I shouldn’t have been in the damage and should have tried to avoid it … but still, feels like “something is rotten in the state of Denmark.”

I’m sure you’re all happy to know that I’ve had a “Saul on the road to Damascus” epiphany in the shape of monolith Lagon & his eye beam & am now batting for the other team.

You can now put me down for 1 in the “dots should be sustained damage that is slow & steady rather than bursting you down faster than a flat earther visiting Australia for the first time (& wondering why they can’t see Polaris)”. Though this is an issue with DoT skills in general (Lagon’s eye beam, Rahyeh’s beam & yes, the Soul Cage’s breath) rather than the Soul Cage in particular.

1 Like

I haven’t had trouble with soul cages in a while, I learned how to deal with them, but their design is poor. Their attack animation goes on for so long and it’s all DOT, you’d think that’d mean you get punished for spending more time than you should in that big damage zone. Instead it can be dangerous to be even licked by the flame. Shouldn’t it be that being slightly touched isn’t so bad, but spending more time in there gets you burned? Lower the damage and make it ramp up the more stacks you have on you like poison does, that way they still punish the player for sitting in their big slow DOT beam but aren’t like getting hit with a shotgun.

In a way DOTs being the deadly moves is a great design move, instead of a single big hit getting you instakilled you have time to react with a potion, meanwhile your leech/regen counteracts the high damage rather than you already being dead before that can happen. It’s also how the game makes it so you can’t just ignore protections and instead stack the other defenses.

HOWEVER, with this being beta and all some of the DOT damage is through the fucking roof and there’s no reacting to it with potions or trying to fight through with leech, regen, whatever, you’re already dead. For a DOT like lagon’s eye beam that’s extremely telegraphed and easily avoided? Completely fine, that’s only a DOT so you specifically can’t tank through it because it’s meant to be an instakill. But then something like Yulia’s Husk spawning a DOT on me with no animation or ground marker and killing me instantly despite having high health and protections I just gotta assume it’s a bug.

Have you tried letting Monolith Lagon’s eye beam sweep over you? That’s getting ~10-20 ticks per sec for ~500 damage per tick (after ~65% protections), you may have the reactions to hit a potion & leech through it but I don’t. And yes, I know it’s supposed to be dodged.

But why, DoTs are traditionally sustain damage, not burst.

Yeah, I noticed that AoE dot she puts on the floor, surprised me a bit but my reactions were panther-like so I got out of it (twice) before killing her.

Perhaps your leech/regen wasn’t enough to counter it? :wink:

IMO, DoTs should do significantly less damage (like, 10-20% of a player’s hp) but be used a lot more to put pressure on the player. So the very skilled can manually avoid most of them while you can tank through them with a tanky build & a decent amount of leech (but you’ll be more at risk of dieing from other hits because you’ve got less of a leech buffer).

Lagon’s beam has the most slow and clear buildup of any skill in the game and is a boss encounter, it’s a DOT purely because that means you can’t dodge/block/graze it and it’s meant to be a deadly skill. In comparison his big claw slams actually come in pretty quick and aren’t anywhere near as lethal because they aren’t DOT. Another clearly intended to be deadly DOT is dark rahyeh’s line aoe, which is acceptable though not that well designed as there’s no way to know the trail is that deadly until you… die to it. But that’s a signalling issue more than a damage one, if it looked like the apocalypse now napalm strafing run it’d be clear. Which is kind of what is going on with soul cages.

I’d say it’s actually healthy for the game to have lategame big fucker bosses be dealing DOTs with absurd damage so that even if your character can tank through literally everything else in the game it can’t survive those; being a tank is great but it’s also good to have to look at the screen. The big distinction is that by being DOTs you can also be slightly nicked by those and still live if you’re already on the edge of the AOE, making them better than a 1-hit instakill where even if you’re 1 pixel too far into the AOE it kills you. It’s happened for me plenty and it’s good design. Not every DOT in the game needs to be one you can sit for seconds in before you start to feel it.

The problem is when these death DOTs appear on enemies that are not lategame big fucker bosses, as most of the game is spent with 400 enemies on screen at once firing off 10 billion explosions a second. Someone else pointed it out earlier that visibility and clarity are what make soul cages dangerous even if you know they deal ridiculous damage because their windup and skill effect is super muted in comparison to everything else going on, all you know is if one is on screen you can’t be anywhere but behind it. Either they should be gigantic with a windup animation you can see past all the other giant enemies and explosions and have their soul breath look like an atom bomb, or just deal less damage.

1 Like

Crossposting as soulcages are a great aggravators:

Also crossposting because that’s not how block works.

Not going to lie. That video from kiss me quick does show him just walking into the breath. I understand there’s a lot going on, but if you walk into something you know will kill you then it’s kind of on you and you have to accept the lion share of the blame. That wasn’t the soul cage mob dumping the breath on you off guard, it was literally channeling for god know how long and you just walked right into it.

Nonetheless, there’s something wrong with channeled abilities/DOTs, especially Lagon. We all make mistakes and take hits we shouldn’t take, but I expect instant death from not dodging a big hit/slam as that is intuitive. Dying immediately from the first tick of a channeled ability/DOT without the ability to rectify my mistake (get out of range, drink a pot, etc) is counter intuitive. People can debate on how slow/stupid/careless someone was getting hit in the first place. But that doesn’t change the fact that we don’t expect something seemingly “harmless” just shitting on us the first second. If Lagon slams me with his claws (don’t even get me started on how the telegraph of that slam is poor) and I die, I can live with it because it’s intuitive that a big fucking claw slamming on you might just kill you. If Lagon’s eyes turns red and starts his breath channeling and I die in the first 0.1 seconds because I couldn’t get out of range? Yeah it’s on me for not getting out of the way, but my god give me a chance to live through it and not die immediately as if the hit was designed as a one shot. If a channeled ability is designed as a one shot, then the devs should make it more obvious and telegraph it a little better. Better yet, perhaps channeled abilities and DOTs shouldn’t be one shots. Logically damage over time should do a lot of damage under the premise that a character takes the full hit. If a single hit does 1,000 damage and a DOT does 1,000 damage over 5 seconds, I expect to take 200 damage the first second. For DOTs in this game, it seems like the game is designed to do 1,000 damage the first second for a total of 5,000 damage. Doesn’t make sense to me.

1 Like

I think the other way - I think Lagon is completely fair.
Just because it’s coded as a dot doesn’t mean it shouldn’t function as a slam, especially if it inherits all the properties of a hit slam, other than the damage type.

I think it’s telegraphed fine; not the best but I’d argue it’s telegraph to damage ratio is on par with most other bosses - he bops his head back for 2 seconds, places his head forward, looks at you for 0.5 seconds and then slowly slides over 30% of the platform.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.