An epiphany on how the devs view Necromancers

Idk, the Dread Shade buffs you node made my damage really good.

and also not exclusive to the Necromancer.

I feel like when you’re that deep into the Necro tree it’s hard to argue you’re not playing Necro in some sense, but that is true, yes.

i once made a beastmaster build that was all about the spriggan pet and spirggan form from the druid tree. it was hilarious while leveling, but once i got to mid-tier monoliths i would have just been better off playing a druid.

1 Like

I don’t think so:
11 skeletons - skill 1, summon skellie
8 wraiths - skill 2, summon wraiths
6 zombies - skill 3 - zombies
5 mages - skill 4 summon mages, or is this the unspec’d one?
3 vanguards - from passives/other skills
2 golems - skill 5, summon golem
1 abomination - skill 6 or unspec’d?

They’ve described it as both, the Primalist having numerically fewer but stronger minions that they care about & can raise when they enter a downed state. Compared to the Necro with larger numbers of more disposable minions (which is why their minions don’t go into a downed state when they take too much damage).

Dread Shade requires 30 points in Necro…

Ah, i thought i had addressed that in the following sentence:

it was more a statement on the determinable of having a specific minion out that a roll call for a particular build.

I was just wondering how you had all those different types of minions given it’s ~6 skills if they’re all spec’d? I’m not disagreeing with your maths (didn’t check).

i wasn’t counting the abomination in the final tally because it’s the sixth skill and the lowest amount of minions summoned by one ability, i just included it in the individual tally because it’s a minion that can be summoned.

i had to log in to double check, didn’t it used to be lower?

Don’t think so, no. It’s certainly not been below 25 for the past year or two, unless they introduced it at a lower number then moved it (when Abomination came along).

i feel like the abomination was the first and only spell above the threshold for the longest time, but i hated dread shade since the moment it was added (instead of it being a minion) so i suppose it’s plausible that it got moved around without me noticing.

Nope, it was introduced in 0.7.9 at 30 points.

whack, either way it doesn’t change that the necromancer is about minions by design, or that dread shade itself is a build crippling spell.

1 Like

Yeah, we have very different views on that (unsurprisingly), so, moving swiftly on…

By the time you get Dread Shade, the minimum skill level you get at the start should be at least 5, so you can have Dread Shade be non-draining completely from the start with no negative downsides.

When I see these complaints, I’m hearing “I want to have a permanent minion army be just as strong as the other A- to S- tier builds without having to worry about anything other than buffing my minions to do good damage.” Unless there are some class-specific affixes that raise the minion count considerably (like the Unique Staff that gives you more Wraiths, but has the awful draining effect which makes it worthless), why should a basic 5 minion skill build be as powerful as other highly-thought out builds that have perfect gear and passive synergy?

I’m not arguing that the passive tree is great (there’s a lot more synergy that could be added, especially concerning the Wraiths since it is their mastery skill), but there’s a lot more that can be done with the Necromancer than how these threads are perceiving it.

3 Likes

Are people honestly still caring about multiplayer in the current year?
That never really works well in any aRPG as people tend to have different clear speed and what happens is that one player clears ahead and the others just run behind and collect loot.

Everyone wants to be the fastest, thats the nature of the genre and no one will realistically force themself to be as slow as the weakest link in the chain.

Seems pretty boring but to each their own.

How well do you think it would go if the devs left all unintentionally powerful builds as they were then with the MP patch they nerfed them to an acceptable level? Do you think that might have a bit of an impact on how people perceived MP?

2 Likes

It may be unfashionable but I still care about multiplayer in 2021. xD

4 Likes

It may be unfashionable but I still care about multiplayer in 2021. xD

Good that you (and the 4 others) likes it. What makes LE’s MP it so exciting?
Maybe i have missed something but as far we know its the usual standard monster HP/dmg scaling per player and no new involving game mechanics that are only available in MP.

So the decades old who runs the fastest and let their party members play loot goblin.

I like playing with my friends!

1 Like