Always crashing when trying to load a character (since 0.9.2 or 0.9.2a)

Game always crashing after 0.9.2 or 0.9.2a .

It used to work without any problems older than the above game versions,
I know because I’ve launched the game every now and then throughout the last few months / years.

but now, the game always crashes when trying to load a Character / savegame level data:

• Starting Last Epoch into menu
  • gfx settings tried: ultra/very high/high
  • 1440p windowed mode
  • selecting char (doesnt matter which one or online/offline)
  • loading/starting game
  • background music stops / screen goes black (suddenly fullscreen)
  • screen flashes one to three times, looks like game itself or gfx driver tries to recover/restart
  • then game window either disappears with the process stuck in a loop, or it quits, each time without error message popup

reproducable, happens 100% of all times

thought it was my gfx driver at first, since I was using latest beta driver *.4676,
but reverting to last known ‘good’ one, v. *.4644 WHQL certified also didn’t help

Win 10
Ryzen 5600
32 GB Ram
Intel Arc 16GB LE with driver *.4676 beta / *.4644 whql

Player.log (103.0 KB)
Player-prev.log (97.9 KB)
Player.log (103.0 KB)
Player-prev.log (97.9 KB)
Player.log (96.7 KB)

I got even more folders for each launch/crash in AppData\Local\Temp\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch\Crashes ,
but only the last two had data in them (player.log file) …
are these supposed to be the same as in C:\Users[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch\ ?

If you need more infos, let me know & I’ll try to help / provide what you need.

Hey.

Your logs are all showing the same DirectX3d error just before crashing: D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture. The one with the highest resolution is also showing a System Out of memory error preceeding the crash. This is usually a GPU performance related error when logged by LE.

This, and what I could find related to the performance of the ARC A770 - especially at 1440p, - its very likely that this is a driver or performance issue of some kind brought on by the recent update.

From what I can see from your GPU reviews online and what I know about LE and its performance after playing it for years, playing at 1440p at ultra settings is unlikely to be a pleasant or stable experience.

I would suggest the following::

• Verify the game files via Steam to make sure your install is good

• Update to your latest GPU Drivers - I have zero experience with Arc drivers but this is very important with AMD/NVidia

• Make sure your OS is patched - sometimes windows can bork something with some failed or pending patch

• Make sure you rare not using any overlays or screen capture apps while testing LE.

• While the game isnt running, Delete the le_graphicsmanager.ini file so that that the game can revert to the default configuration (usually Medium @ 1080p) which is usually the most stable config to troubleshoot with - if this default config works, then its pretty much a given that the settings are what is causing your game to crash… if it makes no difference then there is something else wrong.

I’ve already done everything you mentioned even before posting about my problem,

except for the last thing you mentioned - which I will try out next time .

before 0.9.2 , 1440p @ stable 60fps used to be a piece of cake for the Arc iirc,
at least on high settings & in first Act 1 areas
(not ultra, just noticed that setting the other day which is why I wanted to give it a try, but changed back to high again to see if it solves the issue)

Will try DDU & another even older gfx driver version next time as well,

Is anyone else able to login & play without any issues at all currently ?

This is tricky to assume - different areas can cause issues with performance - e.g. a map with excessive partical effects can be the “straw that breaks the camels back” to use the idiom. LE has improved over the years but its not what one would call the most optimised game - partly, imho, because of its old Unity version but also specific graphical issues and even, in the past especially, CPU bound problems that indirectly cause problems. The best way to evaluate it is to keep an eye on GPU usage - if its averaging over 70-80% at whatever settings you are using then its very possible it can crash in a specific map or situation (lots of mobs, skill effects etc). It seems like LE needs some headroom to spike the GPU to remain stable.

Right now there are over 4700 players online in game according to Steam.

ty for your reply, yes almost exactly my thinking as well.

PS: I was finally able to get ingame again, after trying lots of things,
like downgrading gfx drivers to *.4578,

and other stuff like trying with/without windows pagefile enabled/disabled,

even rolled back last 1-3 windows 10 updates.

at one point I got impatient/tired so I tried multiple changes at once,
which I know was a ‘bad’ idea because now I don’t know what exactly fixed the problem
( will see if it’s even permanently fixed or if crashes will return)

maybe I’ll find out… sure wasn’t the 0.9.2 update itself or at least not alone,
must have been something that happened in between as well
(I could only think of said muliple intel gfx driver & windows 10 updates )

anyways, thx again,

will continue to monitor things,

and hope that they’ll update unity engine one day eventually (not sure if it will help with performance)
or that they find additional ways to effectively limit framedrops that happen pretty often.

Ok… getting back into the game is good.
As I mentioned, I have zero experience with the quality of ARC drivers so who knows maybe they changed something and an old driver works… Definitely happened before with Nvidia on the 0.8x versions of LE a few years ago where a new driver kept crashing the game.

This one is important too - there have been some Windows update that messed with Unity in the past so its entirely possible that something like this could be a cause - I personally am having issues launching the game via Steam (from the exe works) and I am wondering if a windows update may be involved too.

Its the magical combination of specific things that is usually what takes forever to try and figure out and unfortunately its seldom that everyone has the exact same combination.

They want to for various reasons including things like DLSS etc, but the devs have said it would delay the game by at least a year to do so.

This kind of optimisation is probably the best we can hope for - they have successfully done this before with incremental performance updates - especially to 0.85 but the focus on MP and online play has cause quite a delay in this progress and added a crapton more problems imho so its something we just have to be patient with and hope.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.