Already bored

Been playing this game for the last few days abd got a lvl 8x toon.
It kinda feels done already.
Only two options: mono and arena, none are fun for more than a few runs.
Arena starting from lvl 1 every time? I’m tired and bored even before starting, and without a reward why even go there?
I can’t really find a good excuse to play as there is not much to do, which is a pitty cause the gameplay is tons of fun.
I need a goal to work towards in order to kerp me interested, but can’t find any. Progressing with the toon is nearly done and a ladder system can’t keep me interested for long.

How do you guys keep yourselves motivated to keep playing?

Last Epoch is an early access beta game. The end game modes are just place holders to give us some higher level areas to test skills and give feedback.

I would test out different characters and give feedback on bugs and things you feel don’t work or could be improved. Enjoy it for what it is and have fun testing.

6 Likes

Theory crafting and leader boards are the things atm. I have over 530 hrs and still come up with new builds but as stated this is beta and the whole point it so test things and psh the to their limits. And try to make this a great game. Give your feed back and bring suggestions.

1 Like

There are a bunch of content creators (such as @Rimed, @Thyworm,…) that make build guides. I am watching these to see what looks cool and fits my style. Then I pick what I liked the most and make a new toon following a rough plan and try to make it work.

I personally have a problem with adapting to changes like those in the last patch. I have 2-3 chars that struggle after the patch so I need new gear and need to respecc. Doing arena or minilith with a roughly specced and poorly geared char is not that fun.

I find it a lot easier and more fun to start over new. This way I can grow into the char. Build up skills and synergies slowly and gearing up on the way through the story.

And that’s what I am doing right now. TRY to respecc my previous working builds, making new toons, testing the new skills and mechanics. And posting about bugs, impressions and so on.

Also helping new players on the forum and discord is fun for some people.

5 Likes

Thanks for your replies. It’s obvious I’m just impatient and not considering the early stages of the game. I should have checked this before buying.
I was looking to replace d3 as rifting has gotten boring long ago, and feel like I’m back to the same situation in this game.

it strongly depends on what you seek, very strongly. No offense, but your words are very generalizing. Few analogies:

• “Quake” / “CoD”: all you have is pushing shoot-button and dragging cursor to all that moves on several arenas.
  • “Stellaris” / “Endless Space”: you basically look at bunch of stars and clicking on endless build / search icons, but nothing really happens.

And, honestly, this is truth for some people :slightly_smiling_face: . So, first of all, it’s a matter of taste. At the same time, if we look to details, every game is a huge complex of what you’re able to manipulate or simply enjoy with. Last Epoch is not an exception …

• core gameplay: killing packs of stupid enemies in general or using specific class and skills.
  • killing bosses / encountering events (not the same as most of gameplay, sometimes much more complex mechanics) .
  • studying mechanics / builds, skill and equipment combinations.
  • any long-term progression: crafting best equipment, collecting uniques, reaching any leaderboards and caps (char level, arena wave, monolith runs, time records)
  • competing other players in any way: not much here for now, but PvP is planned, as I remember.
  • etc. There’s always something more that other people may define as enjoyable.

I’ve heard your words like as you don’t like nothing of this, except of may be a leveling through the story? I can speak for myself only (obviously):

• core gameplay is questionable, on my taste - that’s not what I can wish for a long period of time. But it’s good enough to feel joy with other aspect of a game …
  • building: I like to create my characters, to level them in isolated environment (solo play) and compare their effectiveness with each other, to study their progress with no influence from outside (even from other characters). And I must say: it takes time - you just can’t rush through all content :sweat_smile: .
  • I really wish to see PvP here. I’m waiting for it :yum: . Even considering I’m very casual player, I know that there’s a lot more people like me.

That’s why I play LE. And that’s why I play it time to time - not constantly. But who can disallow me to enjoy LE in my way, right?

P.S.

Hah, same :smile: .
But I play d3 in the same way - time to time.

Well at the moment I just make lot of new characters, based around a different build idea (gives more variety than playing the arena/monolith over and over again with the same class). If I start feeling bored then I go play something else for a while and come back when I feel like playing again like with most games I play.
Hopefully by that time we get something to shake things up a bit like the rogue class and a new end game system (both listed on the roadmap for phase 3).

I believe that building the character is what keeps me interested. ‘Arena’ like and ladders I don’t care about (being #143 or #4 in some ranking is as exciting as flipping a coin). My main issue with this game and most other I’ve rpg games, is progress ends quickly. Max level etc. Once you’ve gotten pretty good gear the chances of getting better gear is very little. And even if you do get those last max stats it doesn’t make any significant difference.
I’d love to see something like shards being tiered without a cap. This way I could upgrade my gear forever. The Arena doesn’t have a max number of waves so why should my char have a max everything?
Also, in search for better gear I might not be lucky enough to get any better drops, but secondary shards/crafting stuff would still be usefull and I could progress.

I am a new player here but…have you tried HC? I think its the only real way to play ARPG games (for my taste anyway).

Not for me. Losing my char because of lag/bug whatever would @#$! me off! Also, I wouldn’t enjoy playing safely.
I’m pretty sure the only way I’d be really satisfied is if I’m able to continuesly progress, and not play for a week only to look back and see I’m still at the exact same spot.

Fair enough :slight_smile: Ive always felt that SC play is just a time sink really. I think I would give up on the genre if it didnt have HC. I guess I’m really trying to track down the D2 HC goodness I had 20 years ago! I don’t like being able to respec either - but every game does that now.

Good luck and have fun dude.

You can do what i do :grin:
As soon you have a 7x toon go and create some other class or even same class but different build.
One of the good things Last Epoch have to offer is that a lot of builds are viable even atn end game!

I don’t really. I started LE last year to check it out. I spent about 150 hours in 2 weeks on the game, then only played for about 100 hours over the next 6 months, This game doesn’t capture my attention like other aRPGS and I don’t really like any builds in this game and theres no end game I enjoy.

EHG nerfed my Paladin 3 or so updates ago which I did enjoy playing, there was no reason to even nerf it - they allowed 10-20k Ward builds but apparently this build was too strong. It was just Holy Aura:Holy Fire with Warpath. Warpath did zero damage and grouped mobs together to explode with Holyfire - it used to be every 6 hits proc’d it. Now its 8 and feels so bad. Can barely clear lvl 45 zones with a juiced up character

I know devs nerf builds all the time but if its justified, this wasn’t imo

I played on the weekend but after 2 hours I was done and went and made a new Terraria file and played that all weekend

I kinda feel I paid to help testing the demo version of a game. Well, lesson learned.
For now I’ll find something else to spend my time on, and maybe I’ll come back to this game in the future if I see enough chances and updates that looks interesting.
I did enjoy playing the game untill I hit the end game stuff, but starting over with a new toon, running through the same story AND knowing game is done at the end. Ijust can’t make myself do it.

Have fun (if possible) everyone.

That’s correct. You paid to beta test a game still in development. For some people it can be fun participating in the development and deliver feedback, see the game grow. For others it’s not that satisfying to play an unfinished product.

Participating in Early Acces always is a gamble. Can turn out you wasted your money on a game that cannot reach the goals the devs promise pre release. Or you don’t like the route the devs are going. Or you just can’t get the grip for no particular reason.

LE is what it is right now. An unfinished product of a very encouraged indie dev team. The route is fine for me and I can see the big steps the game makes with every patch. I have faith in the team to make the right choices on game mechanics and get the balancing right.

The new patch brings so much new stuff I wanna try that it is hard for me to find the time to do all this.

2 Likes

When thinking about it, I might just be annoyed as I liked the game for the first part, but seems end game content is the same as every other game; rerun the same content endlessly without progress.
I hope the devs comes up with some good idea that isn’t just beating some irrelevant score.

Yeah, they have said that the current end game content is just something there for us to do after we’ve done the campaign & isn’t their intended end game.

You can look up the plans for endgame modes on the homepage, if you’re interested in the plans.

https://lastepochgame.com/end-game-systems/

Both arena and Monolith are currently placeholders. Monolith is planned to deliver a mechanic of rewriting history. So you chose different ways (and modifiers) and the consecutive runs evolve to an alternate story line. It’s super interesting to read what they are up to.

If you look on the roadmap there will be 3 different endgame systems (including revamped version if monolith) on release. Arena is not mentioned because it wasnt planned to be implemented at all. But it’s gotten very popular so it propably will remain and get a bit of polishing.

But you’re right. Current endgame is mandatory to do to progress, but it’s nothing for long term satisfaction.

When you spend a lot if time you get used to it and lose objectivity on some aspects if the game. This us something that happens to me. Often I am surprised of how good some improvements and polishing when I slready got used to the 'flaws" of mechanics that are work in progress.

This is why it is important to have fresh first impressions on the game.

1 Like

Sentinels and especially paladins need more love ,especially at end game…
Hope they get them in next patch.
the nerf to the ward mechanics in last patch was expected as end game ward had a big advantage, now if the health based MELEE ( with close range skills) classes get some love that shall give me again the fun i seek to play the sentinel classes.
they are waving to me all the time when i enter LE.

1 Like

I have no problem grinding monolith or even arena if it serves a purpose other than beating a score.
As a new player I followed a spellblade build. Already got decent gear and lvl 100 toon. So, what is left to do? The last few stats on my gear won’t make much difference.
What I need is something that can make a difference that is worth grinding for to further develop my gear.