Allow us to merge loot filter rules with another loot filter

I like the loot filter in LE, it’s the first time I’m comfortable with making my own.
But the more I use it the more I find one core functionality missing, which is being able to send a rule from one loot filter to another, or completely merge one filter with another.

Let’s say I’m playing some ignite build but want to also work on a cold damage build for a build I’ve seen posted which comes with an already built filter. I can’t just add their loot filter to mine so I can work on finding gear for both. Unless I manually add all their rules to my ignite filter.

I would be nice if you could just drag and drop the rule on another filter (since there is a duplication option for rules), and even select several rules and move them to another filter.

Another example is with exalted items. I have a filter that shows T7 exalted items or double T6 drops but having to re-create them for every single filter is just a bit of a hassle.

I totally get this. There are certain rules I like to use with almost all my filters and it’d be nice to be able to import them as I’m working or merge two lists together.

On the flip side of this, based on the functionality of the top down activation, I have no clue what sort of a nightmare this might be to try to implement. Because I’d lay dollars to donuts it isn’t as easy as just combing the two into one file. :man_shrugging: I can imagine all sorts of scenarios that would arise and the end results.

I can see it being added to the bottom and still require a manual pass from the player to fix stuff.
I just wanna be able to avoid building all the rules from scratch and quickly farm off sets by merging found filters.

1 Like

There is a tool that i believe does this: GitHub - MrReallyYo/leitemfilter-cli

1 Like

At the very least it would be nice if we can copy rules from one list to the next. It would still let us achieve this end result, although with a little more effort.

1 Like

Yeah, at the bottom could work so you’re forced to adjust them.

I make a basic template myself with a lot of the common things I filter on all my characters. Isn’t 100% ‘user-friendly’ but works in a pinch. The big issue is over time I forgot to update the template itself but that’s obviously a PEBCAK error. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Nice find. I didn’t know about this.

I would actually really like to be able to use multiple filters instead. For example, I currently have 2 characters that I’m actively playing, so I could turn on both their filters for the drops.
Of course we’d need some sort of limit on this, so we don’t just run around with 20+ loot filters on, but I think it would be quite more useful, rather than trying to merge filters together.

Yes and you can also copy paste the rules using notepad. My suggestion is to make this available in game, not some outside method.

1 Like

You’d get tons of issues with multiple filters active at the same time. How are the stacks handled? Which takes priority?

1 Like

The one that shows the rule, of course. It would hide everything that both filters hide and it would show what each shows, preferably labeled. So if you have a filter for hammerdin and one for flame wraiths and a flame wraith idol drops, it would show idol (flame wraith) or whatever you named the filter. If you only had the hammerdin filter toggled then it would hide it.

I mean, this is pretty much what I already do now. I make a filter for the character I’m playing with and I usually add a few rules for my secondary character. This would just make it easier to organize things.

What if one filter turns all items pink and the other all items green ?

The only way I can see this working is if you load multiple filters and you order them the same way you order rules now - top from bottom and rules from both filters work the same way they work now, as if they were in a single filter.

I wasn’t actually thinking that you should have multiple filters at the same time. I was thinking about 2, at most 3. Otherwise it would be really hard for the game to keep up with things, performance wise.

As for the colors, you can simply apply both to the item, where you show one color for the left half and one color for the other half. That way you know that it’s something both filters are matching.

Although I tend to always use the same colors for similar things in my filters. Like all filters use the same color for shatter rules, same color for 2x exalted, etc.

And my reasoning for using 2 filters at once would be applied to 2 situations:
1- You are using a farming build and you want to gear up your second alt
2- You’re playing with a friend and you want to use their filter (or a copy of it) so that if anything drops that’s good for him you actually see it.

1 Like

That would be pretty cool, ngl. :grin:

1 Like

But wouldn’t this be hard to implement because it wouldn’t know which rules to apply in order. In one the order is top down. With two separate ones in wouldn’t be able to “decide” this.

Edit: never mind. Saw others brought this up.

In terms of programming logic it wouldn’t be that hard. You just run each list and apply the hide rules first, then you run each list and apply the show/recolor ones.
In terms of actually implementing and testing this in the game, it wouldn’t be immediate and I would agree that it’s not a priority. There are many more important stuff to be put in the game. But it would be nice, especially for playing with friends.

1 Like

Bumping the thread. I’d love to have this feature in game. Any solution allowing for reducing the hassle of re-creating common rules every time I want to create a new filter or import one from the internet.

They know people want this, there’s no need to bump, but it’s not a trivial thing.

I just copy and pasted from my base filter to the new one, seems pretty straight forward. Then you add the class/build specific changes. /shrug