Advice please for a fire paladin

The “refresh” will only be for bosses anyway.
With the node giving automatic sigils when you kill something, you shall have enough of them when clearing an echo.

At 5%, it still sucks.

Weapon attack speed applies to melee attacks only. But I will say that daggers have a generic %crit mod on them that effects almost every throwing skill, also as one of the things you will craft on your weapon is a generic %damage and the other will be crit chance/multi, you want your weapon to be able to assist crits.

As crits are basically the only bonus you can get to your throwing skill that comes from the base itself, also as a bunch of the sentinel specific affixes are for throwing crit chance/damage you should use a dagger. Your amulet should be a jade amulet(throwing amulet). Your gloves should be Solarum bracers(crit chance). your rings should be copper ring(crit chance), Your armor should be myrmidon plate(crit chance), your helm should be myrmidon helm(crit multi),

But if you get a sentinel specific affix related to throwing or a throwing skill level(even for a skill you are not using, as it comes with a big %damage increase) you should prioritise that over the which base it is unless the base is jade amulet.

I was wrong about it being JUST rings for affixes(it is just that rings get lower throwing mana cost as an affix, which is mandatory to get on both rings as that affix also grants throwing damage) - Throwing damage shows up on belts gloves relic AND amulets, throwing attack speed on gloves/ring.

When deciding on specific gear you should probably look at the Last Epoch Item Database (A fan site that tracks item stats) or while setting up your loot filter.

For javelin fire setup… you want spell damage as the damage is done by the fire trail which scales off spell damage, forget about throwing damage of the javelin itself, you also want a lot of healing effectivness to scale it.

Also I have not played a sentinel throwing build in a LONG time, so I may have missed some things

“attack rate” however is specifically melee/bow attack speed, not throwing

I think I should say, that flat throwing comes at the cost of a LOT of affix slots, 1 slot on rings(as they both get lower mana cost affixes), 1 on belt, 1 on amulet and 1 on relic. This is in addition to the level of skill mods that provide %throwing as a bonus, and all the other things that are generally added in to throwing builds(or anything that gives generic %phys for the frequency bonus).

It is not that the idea is bad in concept, it may be possible to scale the damage and frequency rate of the thrown axe to insane levels(based on my calculations, if you get all the related t5 affixes at mid rolls, this makes for 129% increased frequency, for 2.29 axes per second ignoring passive tree) Just consider that gearing may be difficult, also that it is competing with just doing a hammer throw build. You may also want to get legendary potential on that relic to force some flat throwing damage on it. Also you may want to get a legendary potential Riverbend Grasp - Unique Mail Bracers - Gloves - Last Epoch Item Database and add %throwing damage onto it. Also get the node in the tree that makes axes occur on hit and the one that gives a lot of generic phys if using a hammer/sceptor

Unless you are scaling the axe spam specifically I suggest you go for a different relic.

Which affix/stat is that, I don’t recall it.

Also, did he mention throwing axes rather than the Shield Throw skill?

I am talking about the passive on his unique, it makes %phys increase the axes per second

him using that unique implies spin to win axe spam, because if he is not spin to win axe spamming he should do something else with his relic slot

1 Like

Oh, that’s a new unique to me…

Something else just came up whilst watching an LE youtube video,.

Taking warpath as an example, you can change its damage type to fire using the earthscorcher node in the skill tree, but you can also add +void damage from the void spiral node.

Does that mean you are now doing fire AND void, or does earthscorcher override this so its ALL fire damage ? I assume there are many other skills where this also happens.

Yes. Earthscorcher converts base (not any added damage) damage to fire & swaps the phys tag to fire (so that any un-typed melee damage, such as the implicit on melee weapons, is then added as fire instead of phys), it does not convert typed (ie, the void from void spiral) damage.

So would you say that its unrealistic to spec into it as (say) a fire paladin because you’re not going to want to scale void on your gear just for that ?

I assume its really there for void knights ?

Yeah, pretty much.

I believe you are wrong… but feel free to disagree with the Mighty Llama…

the lost epoch build planner seems to think so

Where does the game use the term “attack rate” though? That’s still not been answered. I can’t think of where the game says “attack rate” instead of “attack speed”, but I could be wrong.

On the weapon base they have a base “attack rate”

I am honestly surprised that you didn’t know that the term attack rate is used on weapons.

While we are on the topic I think it’s worth mentioning as well, that Attack Rate on the weapons is a multiplier to your attack speed. If you dual wield you have a attack rate of the average of both of your weapons combined.

I honestly haven’t noticed it, or maybe I just read it as attack speed (since that’s how it functions). I don’t know what it’s like for German, but as a native English speaker I can speed read a word with the right letters in the wrong order (as long as the first & last are correct) & read it as the correct word, probably the same thing here, I see “attack rate”, my brain processes it as “attack speed” 'cause that’s what it is/does.

So the pally has made it to level 87 and tearing into empowered monoliths. One thing I have found though, is that gear upgrades now seems to be very difficult to come by, and I’ve not had a meaningful gear upgrade since maybe level 75. I’ve set my loot filter to find items with 3 of 4 desirable affixes on gear, and that almost never happens.

Yeah, that’s inevitable TBH. As soon as you get your t20 gear on the right base you’re then looking for a useful t6/7 affix with 2(?) other useful affixes & the ability to craft the 4th useful affix (or 5th if you can seal one) on the right base. Or a useful unique with some LP & an exalted item with useful affixes to create the legendary.