Added Damage - Type - Clarification

Hello,

I am not sure how Added damage of different types interact and hope someone could clarify for me. Primarily regarding Necromancer, but it would apply to all kind of classes/skills. Thanks in advance!

Assumption 1:
If a type is missing, the type is adaptive. So +12 Minion Melee Damage, does increase the base melee damage of all Minions using an attack with the Melee tag. The other type is not specified, so Fire, Necrotic, etc would be adaptive. So Necrotic Wraith would get +12 Melee Necrotic damage, Pyre Golem +12 Melee Fire damage. Is this correct?

Assumption 2:
Added damage is is added to the base damage before any conversions. According to the game help it is definitely added before increased and more damage. So if Bone Golem would deal (just for example) 100 Physical Melee damage and I have +10 Minion Physical Damage this would result in 110 Physical Melee base damage. If I spec into Pyre Golem, this 110 Physical Melee Damage is converted to 110 Fire Melee Damage. Is this correct?

Assumption 3:
In assumption 1, if I spec into Flame Wraith and they use Fireball with Spell/Fire Tags. I assume the +12 Minion Melee does no longer apply. But if I also have +12 Minion Spell damage this would be added to the Fireball. Is this correct?

Question:
What happens with +12 Minion Necrotic damage and Flame Wraith? Flame Wraith’s Fireball does not have the Necrotic Tag and spell/melee is not specified on the added damage. Will the Fireball deal Fire + Necrotic base damage? Or does the Necrotic damage not apply, because it does not match the type of Flame Wraith’s Fire Ball?

If Assumption 2 is incorrect, it would be basically the same example as in my last question. First converted, then added damage does no longer match attack tags.

The Necromancer has mixed added Physical/Necrotic/Fire damage on his trees. Do all these (without melee/spell specification) apply to all minions of all damage types?

Kind regards

3 Likes

I’m also interested in the answers for this.

Flat damage that is not specified to be a particular element (ie, adaptive, like +x minion melee damage) would take the element based on the skill/minion tags, so if it was a minion with the fire & physical tags, it would get +1/2 X minion fire damage & +1/2 X minion physical damage.

If flat damage specifies an element (eg, +X minion melee fire damage) then the minion would always get flat fire melee damage unless there’s an effect that converts it to a different element, which is rare, conversions need to specify that the convert all damage rather than just base damage.