Acolyte Hard Freeze/Crash on Item Pickup

I have managed to play mage with no issues, so far playing for approximately 5 hours straight from the start of chapter 1 to the start of chapter 4 without stopping. Each time I play acolyte however it only lasts from 40 minutes to an hour until, upon picking up a seemingly innocuous item, the game and my computer both freeze. Severity can range between just the game crashing up to a full-on BSoD. So far this has happened each time I’ve played acolyte without fail, playing a total of 4 or 5 attempts before making this report.

System information: DxDiag.zip (17.5 KB)
Game log: Player.log (101.2 KB)
Graphics settings: le_graphicsmanager.ini (489 Bytes)

Hey, Welcome to the forums…

Sorry you are having such hassles…

Quick side note before continuing : There is a patch launching today (Monday) 0.8.2 and it so big and includes so much that it may have a material impact on any problems the game is having so its important to test out problems after it drops…

Now… your specific issue…

The game is in beta so it very well could be that you have found some very specific acolyte issue but it could just as easily be something else unrelated that is causing the issue. It may even be that you have a corrupted savegame file or something else entirely…

So here are some general things that tend to help players having stability issues:

• Verify the game files via Steam. File corruption does happen and can cause crashes.

• Make sure your system is 100% patched and that you are running the latest drivers for all your hardware. From your dxdiag there is an OS update and maybe a GPU driver update.

• LE has graphic settings related performance and instability issues - Normally I would suggest a dialled back graphics test sequence but according to your le_graphicsmanager we can skip a few steps. Change the following: Limit the game to a framerate dont leave it unlimited like you have - based on your monitor (60hz) I would suggest you set the limit to 60fps as your monitor cannot show anything faster anyway. Whatever you set it too, it is important to have a limit and dont use vsync. Also reduce all the ingame settings temporariliy to very low or disabled… Now test and see if the game is stable… If it is, then increase the in-game settings one by one testing as you go. Do not go above Medium and be careful of things like grass and shadows.

• The following may be unrelated to LE but may also have a direct impact on the overall stability of your system… At the end of the dxdiag file there are Diagnostic errors that you need to check on… Some of them are more concerning than others: WUDFHostProblem (Windows component involved with drivers) MoUsoCoreWorker.exe (related to windows update) WMIInconsistentRepository (Windows Management Instrument) and CLR20r3 (usually something related to .NET). None of these are “good errors” to have and can cause crashes, BSOD and general instability. There are also BSOD reports but without much detail - one is related directly to your processor - which is not a good sign…

• I would suggest that you attempt the OS updates and then run Mirosoft System File Checker to check your system files.
    • I would suggest checking your windows Error logs and seeing if there is something very specific that is the underlying cause of any of these problems.
    • If you are using any overclocks on your Memory, CPU or GPU, I would suggest disabling them to see if running in the redline is causing any potential issues on Windows - especially after the CPU based BSOD.
    • I would run a system hardware check - test memory, make sure the harddrives are ok (check S.M.A.R.T etc)… perhaps even run some gpu stress tests to see how stable your graphics subsystem is…
    • Monitor your system for overheating and maxing out the GPU & CPU usage.
    • Make sure that your system is physically ok… i.e. there is not a lose connection somewhere, the fans are all clean and working etc… might seem a like a silly thing to suggest but most users never do any sort of system maintenance (hardware or software).

Thank you very much for the extensive breakdown and solutions. It would seem that all of the critical errors are related to the power supply, but these errors so far have only been caused by LE. The number of times the critical errors occurred match, or are at least close to, the number of times I’ve failed to play my acolyte.

I’ve gone through some possible fixes for the issue and I’ve checked that my drivers and OS are fully up to date. Hopefully this all fixes it since this issue seems unique to me.

What I’m curious about is why all of these crashes happen with acolyte, but whenever I play my mage it’s completely uninterrupted aside from a hiccup at the very start of the game (which was merely a game crash and looking it up showed the area has some stability problems so I chocked it up to that, but other than that one time no issues at all on mage). It’s all on the acolyte.

LE pushes your hardware because its unoptimised at the momement (beta) and when it pushes the hardware, the components use more power from the power supply and if its underspec or having issues, then it can cause power related errors - even slight dips in the voltage to the CPU or GPU can cause instability… 0.1v is sometimes enough to cause issues depending on the config/load/draw/performance/device… Definitely NOT a good situation to be in… The system testing I suggested where you stress the hardware is likely to confirm if you have a power delivery issue… You would have to stress multiple components at the same time tho to test properly. Remember it could even be a capacitor on your motherboard - not just your power supply…

As I mentioned, there may be something in the acolyte character that does something different when loading up - remember all the characters in the game were released at different times during the development cycle and some have had specific update/reworks since they were implemented while others have had not and the game has evolved and changed so many times that its not a simple as one class vs another… I dont know how many characters of different classes you have tried but it may not be restricted to acolytes… If it were then there would be many more acolyte specific bug reports… it may even be restricted to this particular acolyte savegame. An interesting test to do would be to remove the Last Epoch folder in the appdata folder on your machine (obviously after backing it up properly) and creating an entirely new set of characters and seeing if they are stable or not… if the game is “more” stable on entirely new chars, then it could just be the old characters/or old gobal save file could be corrupted… I would not do this until after the coming patch tho…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.