5th Skill slot for Spriggan totem shaman

One of the surprises I got with 1.0 was the removal of ice thorns. I actually didn’t realize it until a few days after, since the skill was still specced.
Anyway, since it wasn’t doing anything anymore, I tried Storm Totems with Stormcarved Testament, but I didn’t like it. It feels clunky to me. Normally I never cast thorns, so having to do that to spawn the totem isn’t something I’d like. Plus, I’d rather keep rolling the relic for good affixes.

So, given that, is there any other skill I can use as spriggan? In autocast form or otherwise? I’ve looked and it doesn’t seem like there is.
If there is, that would be preferable, but if not, maybe a good skill for human form to help me survive until the cooldown ends and I go back to spriggan form?
Any ideas?

1 Like

No but I have the same problem so bump. Also rip ice thorns you were a good skill to me.

@Llama8 @Heavy, any ideas?

I guess Eterra’s Blessing (although you probably don’t need it) or …

Scorpion tank, to keep the Spriggan alive :smiley:

I already have Eterra’s blessing, since that’s one of the things I can use while in Spriggan Form (via Thorn Shield). And I can’t use summons, otherwise I lose Summon Spriggans, since I already have 2.
I might just end up speccing Fury Leap or something for when I take damage back to human form. At least that way I might be able to leap out of damage until the cooldown expires and I go back to Spriggan Form.

EDIT: My current build

I see…

So used to picking Maelstrom in Spriggan I counted it automatically :smiley:

If you’re spamming Thorn Shield on totems, I think trying Gathering Storm and proccing Bolts through Lagon’s Answer in Shaman could work, assuming the “Consuming Stacks” part also works on the passive node proc.

Worst case: Summon Wolves with Pack hunters could work if you juggle summon skills, and would give your Totems Howl on proc. You’ll need to start each game with Summon Spriggan → Bear/Scorp → Wolf → remove Bear/Scorp though, to get only 1 Wolf and thus the 2nd Spriggan.

1 Like

Sorry, but I cannot give any good advice on these kind of build. Never played, probably never will.

1 Like

Chaos Bolts, Chthonic Rift, Umbral Blades, Healing Hands, etc…

1 Like

Hm, what? How can I have those skills as Shaman? :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s the point.

It’s called sarcasm. I know you know about it.

1 Like

The sad part is the skill is only removed from the UI, it’s still in the game, my legacy shaman has it fully specced.

The only thing I could think of for future thorn totem builds is speccing into tanky bear to take the aggro from you. Or storm totem which your proc from Stormcarved Testament (which you didn’t like after I read the post).

2 Likes

So no options then? I was asking you because you’re usually very aware of skills and their interactions and I was hoping there was something else like the stormcarved testament that might let me use a skill as spriggan.

Guess I might just end up dropping the second spriggan companion and trying out one of the other minions.

1 Like

The Primalist forms are very limited in the skills that you can use, sadly. If you were using Spirit Thorns you could take Maelstrom (Spirit Vortex or Glacial Grove nodes in Spriggan form), or Entangling Roots (Valetide node). Eterra’s Blessing can be used if you’re using Healing Totems (which you likely are if you’ve gone with Thorn Totems).

Might give you some ideas.

I did look into other builds. I don’t think Maelstrom would be that good with my build since the damage types don’t align. I already use Blessing. Might look into Entangling Roots, otherwise I’ll just spec a companion and drop the 2nd Spriggan.

You usually take Maelstrom for the buffs as Spriggan, and you can’t take Roots as Shaman. (Yes, I think that’s weird too)

3 Likes

I had the same question and right now the best compromise I’ve found is to use Summon Wolf and spec it into Pack Hunter for +1 companion. This way I can have 1 wolf and 2 spriggan companions. I cast Summon Wolf then Summon Spriggan while in human form, then get the 2nd Spriggan auto-summoned when I change form.

I’m wondering whether to go full dmg spec or rather Howl spec (for haste).

1 Like

Thorn totem, spriggan form, summon spriggan, eterra bless and entangling roots (you can easily proc that one with Cycle of life node on druid form when recasting totems). Use roots mianly to buff your totems

Unfortunately, when recasting totems, buffs fall off. It turns out that the buff from the roots hangs for a maximum of 1 second. What will this give me in endgame?
I have to recast totems, as they do not live long and I receive healing from it the same time. Are the roots so good?

Little off topic - does the dual Summon Spriggan gives double spell damage and base crit aura bonus ?

I have mentioned this to friends. In my opinion, Shaman needs something like wow’s earth shield. A buff that heals you when you take damage and applies something like 30% armor, 15% all resists.

1 Like