1.0 Launch Retrospective

blah blah blah we sold 1,000,000 copies, bought POE streamers and didn’t think that there would be so many people playing. LOL
Meanwhile, while you are writing a 40k word post, there is still no optimization in the game.

Thank you. I am unaccustomed to ARPG games (my reentry to them is fairly recent) actually expressing any sort of accountability and making an attempt to clearly communicate, own up to mistakes, etc.

My continuance with this game is largely because you all make an attempt to do things differently. It is very much appreciated.

1 Like

Thank you guys for this great game! Best wishes, see you in a decade :slight_smile:

Being a software developer feels like a being detective sometimes.

Thanks for your efforts.

the transparency is just on a level that i never seen before, i just love it.
it feels like in the old days, when games where for gamers. <3

This is game dev, and it’s unfortunately normal that you will experience unexpected issues. Glad that you guys managed to run an emergency plan and quickly deploy the fixes. Hats off for such dedication and reaction to problems we had as players. There is more to look for definitely and wish you all the best this year and years coming!

Post game analysis always a fascinating read!

In a way, it’s comforting to see that everywhere, modern software design has the same issues to deal with.

This is exactly what most of us working in software and platform engineer were suspecting and why we were so understanding.

Good job writing a public post mortem. It’s a mark of honour of great companies.

Keep up the good work (and give us scalable enemies in non - empowered monoliths to easily level up alts!) <3

3 Likes

ʕ •ᴥ•ʔʕ •ᴥ•ʔʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

<3

1 Like

As a software developer I can definitely empathise with all of this. I think all software, including games, is becoming increasingly complex and we’re at a stage where actually testing everything beforehand (especially in a “realistic” way) is quite simply impossible. To be honest, the launch went pretty much exactly how I expected, so I leaned back and did something else for those first couple of days while you were ironing out those issues :slight_smile:

Your transparency is very appreciated (and the game is awesome) :heart:

1 Like

I really appreciate the way EHG is communicating. That’s really awesome. Keep up the good work!

If people expect to get online the first week on a big game release, shame on them. I think you did a better job than other game developers imo. Thank you for all the early fixes EHG Team :+1:

THANK you so much for offline-with-chat.
I play solo always, but having the chat makes me feel as part of a community and when I feel for it I comment or try to provide help.
At the same time I have zero network issues and zero deads due to disconnects. Needless to say the release was smooth as silk for me, aside from early release day login issues.
How awesome is that!

Best feature ever and I would be immensely disappointed if cycles were not coming to this mode.

And, since stash tabs are basically free, I would gladly dump the money I had to spend for them elsewhere, to BUY each season.

Love this. Thanks for the write-up!

Awesome write-up, thanks for sharing.

Good job

So, to sum up…

1. Fixes were slow and took multiple days because the deployment tools were not designed for emergencies.
  2. Matchmaker service didn’t scale properly.
  3. Querying for too much party data killed your own services.
  4. Connecting too many players to same End of Time town server at same time.

Nevertheless, thank you for the explanations and hard work to keep this alive.

Should have used Perl :stuck_out_tongue:

This was such an interesting read. I really appreciate you guys’ transparency with everything and highly looking forward to whatever it is you guys are gonna cook next.

I’m casual player. Last Epoch for me is very accessible and plays beautifully. I’m waiting for future news in the next seasons.