1.0 Launch Retrospective

Great devs, add some auto looting pets so can send you more monies :wink:

1 Like

I know it was rough and stressful but I hope you guys had a chance to celebrate the fact that your player peak was way higher than you expected. I’m happy for your success!

Great reading, I know these struggles as a software developer as well. lol

TRUTH lol

2 Likes

I’ve been there on a much smaller scale. My last three jobs have had me running environments that housed ~70,000, ~90,000 and ~130,000 users respectively. I’ve seen CCU up around 40k and been through outages during times where those 40k expected my service to work so that they could do their jobs. It’s not an enviable position to be in. You guys handled it well.

Thanks for the literal hundreds of hours of entertainment that you’ve provided for me. If you guys stopped today (please don’t) you would have left an indelible mark on the industry and the genre. Look at the big dogs’ recent releases. Your trade system and your crafting system have changed the environment that we all enjoy so much. For players like me - the players who enjoy the wealth of variety in the genre - there couldn’t possibly be anything better than for a new arrival to upset the whole status quo in such a positive way.

TL;DR - Thanks! =)

9 Likes

Post-mortem was really interesting to read and the transparency and honesty is much appreciated.

Isn’t it always? lol

Thanks EHG!

2 Likes

Thanks for the post-mortem. Your transparency and process is inspiring to see. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

thanks much for the postmortem

It possible, would you guys consider doing a deeper tech dive on the issues and solutions that were implemented? While not in game dev, I am in tech, and would love to hear both as a lessons learned and just curious, and for those that are in game dev I am sure it would be a great knowledge share for things to keep an eye out for and learn from.

4 Likes

I expected the typical “we could never have anticipated such player counts…” PR spin for launch issues we see in other games when this happens.

I am pleasantly surprised by the honesty here.

1 Like

As always I appreciate the communication. Other companies I won’t name names typically sit radio silent until they have things to promote or things get bad enough that they need a livestream to talk about how they plan on fixing problems.

1 Like

Thanks for the transparency and for the care you show for the community. I believe Last Epoch not only changed the arpg genre, it also have made a mark for community management.

I have seen many games, some launch’s, but the unfortunately very much more common for the companies is to lie and make up excuses. I can’t remember last time I felt so good to have spent my money in a game, and this satisfaction is as much for the awesome game and the now 300 hours (for now) of fun it gave me, as it is for feeling safe and not schemed by the company.

In EHG we trust! Keep at it!

3 Likes

Since a week or two i get LE-65 error every time i try to leave end of time. Tried many things… with no luck. Can no longer play online.

2 Likes

UGH, the timing on your service host having issues makes me so sad for you. Great post.

As a programmer turned devops, I so badly want to know more about this and I hope you’ll consider sharing some technical details.

7 Likes

I appreciate the communication, please never stop with communication like this. Even though I still get stuck in loading screens, I know fixes are coming and EHG cares. Thank you for the wonderful and passionately made game!

Thank you for your transparency and taking the time to effectively communicate, both now and along the journey. I’m really enjoying this game and looking forward to more :slight_smile:

you have prioritized bug squashing, because you had to in order to have a product.
you added some great skills in 1.0 and THAT is why i play your game after all the bugs.
you SHOULD include some crucial armor models beyond their thumbnails, not Placeholder
druid “ugliest helm of the century” award type stuff for ENDGAME content/builds.
Peak of the Mountain, Tundra something or other as examples. Upside down weapons?!?
very very few players get excited or a dopamine hit from seeing bigger numbers only,.
so include the armor models you already have, for when the item is EQUIPPED.

As always, it’s never as simple as “just get more servers” like people want it to be. Thanks for the information.

Thank U so much EHG for Last Epoch & your transparency…

You did great!

I believe most of us players come from a background that has never experienced a game launch without any problems.
Personally I didnt expect the launch to go smooth at all. Im just realistic and not disappointed if things like this happen. With the little ressources you have you managed the situation very well imo.

The toxic way ppl reacted just shows how many have 0 experience due to being entirely new to gaming. Dont let toxic comments get to you, I know its not always possible. But remember the people who support you and have your back.
We appreciate it very much that you keep communicating with the people out here, it shows the love for gaming you bring so very well into the game. (Idk if that makes sense, english is not my native language)
Anyway, keep up the good work. And dont forget to take a break. :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

Interesting to read and see what was happening.

Essentially all of us hope for the continued success of LE. From every interaction in Discord to the forums it feels like EHG is trying their best and that is what we, as gamers, can hope for.

Keep on making a fun and entertaining ARPG =)