XP penalty

From what i understand you receive an XP penalty if you are 5 levels below or higher than the area level.
So for example if i am lv 83 in a lv 90 area am i receiving xp as if i am in a lv 88 ( my max area lv without xp penalty) or is it lower than that to penalize me ?

1 Like

It was 5 levels previously.

With Patch 0.9.0 it now is 10 levels for solo or if you are the highest levle player in a party.
Otherwise read below.

Here is the relevant section from the patch notes:

3 Likes

Ok that clears it up.
Thanks

1 Like

Can someone give an example for the penalty with the Non Highest Level player and the disparity? I don’t understand it completly

From what I read if it it sounds like the following.

If you’re in a lvl 100 zone, you are lvl 90, the highest lvl player is lvl 93. There is a lvl disparity of 3, therefore instead of gaining full xp (as you would if you were the only player), the threshold is 7 (10-3), so you gain xp as if you were in a lvl 97 zone.

I think, but I could be wrong.

okay, mayby but what if I help friends with a level 80 char in a 20 level area of the campaign. do they gain nothing cause my 80 to their 20 lvl char difference is 60 and the are is then 20 lvl -60 so… 0 cause I don`t think they will take xp away xD

I would assume that they would gain xp as if they were in a zone at their level. It only affects how much higher they can get unmodified xp from being in higher lvl zones.

okay thx

What about being overleveled? Why is not it mentioned?

I am almost certain, that being overlevled does not have any kind of penalty, but lower level mobs simply give a lot less experience and it is not worth it leveling in low level areas.

2 Likes

Being overlevelled always had a scalling penalty before. You can take a high level character into a very low level area and get sub-1 xp per kill. Unless they changed that in 0.9.

There has always been huge overlevel XP penalty, this is the formula:

I just tested it on 0.9j against The Husk of Elder Pannion (lvl10 area, base xp 300)
Here are xp I got each level vs expected xp according to formula. Looks like the formula is still the same:

LVL  XP  ExpectedXP
11  300   300
12  300   300 
13  233   233.64
14  181   181.959
15  141   141.711
24   14    14.937
3 Likes