Will EHG change the game Engine in the near-ish future?

Are there any plans to change the game engine in the near-ish future post 1.0 launch? Unity is fine but in the past they were stuck to an older version and switching to a newer one would be as much work or near to switching engines. Some new features are not possible on their current version such as varied refresh rate(VRR, G-Sync/Free-Sync/Adaptive-Sync), I really would benefit from gsync for example as my monitor supports it and I’m quite sensitive to v-sync’s frame rate halving when dropping bellow monitor refresh rate or screen tear. G-Sync works wonders on other games to make small frame drops feel quite unnoticeable on my end. Anyway just wanted to ask about it. Loving the game either way!

I’m sorry but switching engines entirely is nowhere remotely close to the same amount of work as upgrading Unity versions. Not to mention the training that everyone would have to undergo just to be functional again. We have started the process to upgrade our version of Unity in order to be able to incorporate some of these newer technologies. It’s going to take some time still but it is something we are planning to do eventually.

7 Likes

I’m very sure that the game(-engine) has nothing to do with G-sync etc.
Just disable v-sync and run it in fullscreen. Also be aware that there’s a lower fps limit where G-sync stops working by design.

Oh, that’s great to hear! I guess I misremembered and thought you’ve mentioned on one of the dev streams it would be comparable or the same amount of work and time as to just start on another engine. I remember thinking it seemed to be more work due to having to train developers on the new environment but maybe the new versions of unity were just that much further apart in code to the current version and back compat wasn’t as good as it needed to make the process fast enough to be worth it.

1 Like

I’ve asked them before on stream and they said they couldn’t implement support for exclusive full screen which is the one that works best with g-sync, with borderless Fullscreen requiring manual implementation but on newer versions they could but that it would require more of a benefit than what there currently was in order for them to justify the time and resources to make the update to the engine. They said it could only happen after multiplayer anyway so makes sense they’ve started now with unity 6 on the horizon.