Why is ward considered better than health?

Just so you know you’ll need around 5k hp, 848% ward retention and at least 230 ward/s with 55% conversion to be able to get 40k stable ward.

You don’t get that just from gear though. My acolyte is using exsang, last steps and 8% gloves, for a total of 42% conversion. I have no other bonus to ward except for 2 11% ward retention idols. With 1235 total health I get stable 2769 ward, just sitting around near the chest.
So with your numbers, and with no other bonuses, you’d have just about 6k. Which means that you have other sources for boosting ward/retention/decay.

Yes, it’s relatively easy to boost it. It needs balance (which the devs already said they will do). But it’s not as simple as putting on 3 pieces of gear and getting 20k ward.

2 Likes

Nothing I said is wrong.

You said a lot of wrong things. Others already replied to some, so I’ll just show you what we talked about :slight_smile:

You said:

My lock has only 35% conversion total. 15% cheap experimental gloves and 1 LP Exsang. 2600 HP = 11,476 stable Ward. With very little investment and not using Shackles or Last steps I easy got 11k+

So, your “hard fact from experience” says that at 2600 HP and 35% conversion and unspecified amount of Ward Retention, you get 11476 Ward.

Luckily for us, Llama8 linked to a Ward calculator. And when you put your numbers into the calculator, you get this:

11476 - 2275 = 9201 difference, that’s a lot.

But wait, we have another example :slight_smile:

I replied with an example from the current patch, with a video as proof, where the player uses 3065 HP, and 39% conversion, 566% Ward Retention and 100 Ward per Second. At the end of the video, we can see his Ward number stops moving, so we know the final stats: he is down to 40 health and he is up at 12387 Ward. Let’s plop that into the calculator, shall we?

12403 - 12387 = 16 Ward difference. Pretty spot on, right? :slight_smile:

So, that’s how we know your numbers are wrong.

I have only stated hard facts from my experience and other showcased builds.

I don’t know what experience you are talking about, but even if your “experience” meant anything in the context of discussing Ward, we have the hard facts - calculator, video, math - and all you have is anectodal personal experience.

To be clear, nobody is contesting the fact that Ward doesn’t come just from conversion. We know Ward comes from other sources too, and we also know about stats that affect Ward. I don’t know what gave you the idea that we don’t know how Ward works.

Of course, you’re always free to show us the

40k+ stable Ward with 5k HP.

builds. Or you can demonstrate how

It’s harder to get 4k HP than get 20k or 30k stable Ward.

:wink:

2 Likes

Just so you know I’m only stating the facts and my original point which for some reason people are wrongly argueing.

Except I didn’t. This isn’t a complicated thread and you guys are just argueing cause your bored apparently. Maybe the answer to this thread is too simple so you are just wanting to argue with what I said instead?

None of my numbers are wrong and what are you argueing at this point? My original post are true.

This thread is about why is Ward better. It isn’t complicated. It’s exponentially better because you can get 5X the EHP easily compared to just flat Health. Which I simply explained.

If you have very basic experience you will understand the thread and my points.

What does this have to do with what I said. Nothing because it doesn’t disprove anything or mean anything. I’m literally using actual in game numbers so your Ward calc and links are irrelevant. You forum warriors need something to do.

There are Abom necro builds with 40k Stable Ward. Just because you never seen it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. This is common sense. Sorry you haven’t experienced these builds yet or know of their existence. Having a Ward calc link doesn’t change these facts.

At this point no one knows what you are contesting. Since I don’t. Nothing I said is wrong and your calc and your video link and nothing you said changes that. Everything I posted is from actual in game numbers. So have a nice day?

• There needs to be a nerf to the HP conversion, Ward per sec/Retention and Decay threshold. At no point should builds get 2 easy items go low life and have 4-5X the EHP compared to HP. If you have 2kish HP you shouldn’t have 10k+ Ward with cheap gear. Again this is why Ward is significantly better than HP as per the thread title. I’m done. Good day. Time for work. :grin:

PS - It’s wild that some of you will go till great lengths and derail threads just to argue. Find better hobbies or play the game more? I don’t see how you enjoy being like this on the forums and doesn’t make the forums better. It’s honestly exhausting to deal with.

Except I didn’t.

None of my numbers are wrong

I’m literally using actual in game numbers so your Ward calc and links are irrelevant.

Having a Ward calc link doesn’t change these facts.

Nothing I said is wrong and your calc and your video link and nothing you said changes that.

Everything I posted is from actual in game numbers.

You forum warriors need something to do.

It’s wild that some of you will go till great lengths and derail threads just to argue

exhausting to deal with.

Oh the irony :rofl:

At no point should builds get 2 easy items go low life and have 4-5X the EHP compared to HP. If you have 2kish HP you shouldn’t have 10k+ Ward with cheap gear.

You don’t have 10k+ Ward just from cheap gear, so all is well.

Have a nice day.

Except I do and I explained that.

Not sure how. I’ve used factual in game numbers and all you have done is link stuff trying to tell me my eyes are misleading me from what is happening in game. I’ve made very simple statements all of which continue to be facts. Which the good thing about facts is whether you believe them or not they still remain facts.

I will got a nice bowl of Chili Rice and work today hopefully will be quick so I can log in and enjoy my busted Ward builds. Have a nice day and next time just try to be open to new information you haven’t heard yet. Sometimes they are new facts for you to learn.

Maybe ask how people are doing what I’ve explained. I do want to try the 40k Stable Ward build but those are actually expensive.

As you can see from my post (which you conveniently ignored), which is using factual in game numbers, you can’t get near that amount of ward just from 3 pieces of gear. You need to also increase ward retention/decay/ward per second. Warlock passive tree has a lot of such nodes, so it’s quite likely you have a few. You don’t get 11k ward just from life to ward conversion on the gear pieces.

It’s still easy to ramp, but if you have no other source of ward/retention/decay other than the gear, you don’t get as high a value as you claim.

1 Like

Which is the problem and my original point. It’s way too easy to ramp up and needs the following…

I ignored it because I don’t think it’s relevant to my post or the thread. Reading it and responding to it doesn’t change anything?

Of course you need to increase the big 3 never said you didn’t. It’s not hard to do though which is my point. There are blessings, implicits, exalts, passives etc… but all easily attainable and then you are off to the races with 10k+ ward with almost no gear investment. (which is the problem) A problem I’m trying to highlight! So my only focus in on that problem which I have repeatedly stated.

Never claimed that. People are making this complicated when it’s not. I wish people didn’t make it complicated but here we are. Low gear investment easy 10k+ ward and high gear investment 40k stable Ward. That’s why Ward is better than Health. It’s that simple. Do you want to play a build with 2-5k Health or 10k-40k Ward. I made my choice.

Watching someone tell everyone else they are wrong only because they say so is quite the headache.

I see one side of this argument posting actually screenshots, videos, links and data to back up their evidence.

I see the other side saying “Nope, I do this and I get this” with no visual confirmation or evidence to back up a claim. Someone either needs to post so video capture of them getting these amazing ward numbers with actual evidence or, please, move on.

If you can post it, I will 100% get behind what you’re saying but if not, those who have laid out their actual evidence seem to know more of what they profess.

1 Like

The whole point of this already lengthy discussion is that you claimed that just a few pieces of gear get your ward to 11k.
People pointed out that low life conversion (which is only achieved by those 3 pieces) doesn’t get you anywhere near that. At most 5-6k. You need a bunch of other ward bonuses (which don’t count as low life conversion) to actually raise it that high.

So you did claim that. Maybe it was lost in translation or you meant to say something but it came across as something else. But there is no doubt you said it.

Right which is true. It’s not hard to get. If you don’t believe me I just don’t know what to say.

My build is super cheap and I got 11k ward. If i had good gear I’d have 20k or more.

Who the hell gets those items and doesn’t get Ward per sec, Decay and Retention? I never said don’t get those things rofl. You are bonkers man.

No you aren’t understanding what I said. Again it’s not complicated. Why are you trying to disect something that isn’t there.

We agree here! People just straight up gaslighting me. I don’t get it. People have too much spare time.

I mean I don’t need anyone to get behind what I’m saying if you don’t believe facts that’s up to you. Go watch some videos of 40k flat ward builds. I listed one in this thread. Do it yourself in game test what I said out and get 10k+ ward easily. Or waste time argueing about it on the forums. The forums warriors have chosen.

As a full summon necro, I’m using those pieces and not investing into ward. Simply because I get a slightly bigger eHP pool without having to invest too much and I’m already behind meat shields.

That’s a personal choice. Likely the wrong one but I won’t tell you how to play your build. You could easily get 10k+ ward. The video I watched was a summon necro who had 40k stable Ward using the Abom build. Although they have BiS gear apparently ppl are doing it for Arena. It’s more niche and requires 2 sets though not for everyone. I’ll try and find that video latter and post it for you looks fun though. I’ll be home from work in 8 hours or so…

No, but when others said to get the kind of ward you’re talking about, and the mentioned stuff like those other traits, you didn’t clarify your point to mean, “OH yeah, to get this kind of ward you have to invest it all those other things to.”

Your thesis was “herp, get 12k standing ward with just basics.” Which is vastly misleading. And, yes, cue your response somehow being “if we assumed that that’s our problem, herpderp.” You were being deliberately misleading to be argumentative.

First, stating something is a fact without providing evidence does not make it a fact.

Second, just re-read all your posts, didn’t find a single link. Just a lot of ‘oh it’s out there’.

Third, this sort, kinda is the definition of how NOT to support a thesis, unlike the others who have actually provided verifiable data.

So…

In conclusion, in any logical debate, this would be a win for your so-called forum warriors. :man_shrugging:t2: But, I have had my say. You’ve had yours. good luck.

1 Like

No, actually I’m not. If you read what I said & entered the figures into Tunk’s ward calculator you’d have seen the stable ward figures I quoted. One off the 2 most important values that you’re ignoring is the ward retention. If you have 2k hp, 35% conversion & 200 ward retention you get 3.6k stable ward.

If you have 1k ward retention instead then yes, you’ll have nearly 11k stable ward. But you rather conveniently declined to give the relevant stats.

I understand perfectly, plus I’m capable of sharing relevant data before making assertions that someone else doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Yes, you can have 40k stable ward, but you’d need an aweful lot more than the 35% conversion than you’re implying, or declining to share the relevant data on:

Have a go & put the numbers into Tunk’s calculator if you don’t believe me. It’s not rocket science.

I know how it works. Ward/sec doesn’t have that big of an impact compared to ward retention. Ward decay threshold is just a flat increase so that’s not going to do anything unless you have several hundred/thousand.

It would help if you included the ward retention figure, that’s a key number in stable ward. Missing that out is like not including the conversion % or hp.

You need a fair bit of ward retention though & for reasons I don’t understand you don’t appear to understand why this is important. It’s exhausting…

Yup, he didn’t want to share the ward retention figure for some reason. Using all the same stats (2.6k hp, 35% conversion, 100 ward/sec, 0 decay threshold 'cause it’s a noob trap if you’re investing in it/not getting it for free) you can get anywhere from 2.5k ward (@0 retention) all the way up to 15k @ 1,000 ward retention.

3 Likes

Except I do and I explained that.

No, you did not.
Perhaps you should do some reading on the topic of how a discussion works. To summarize:

• Saying “I have it” is not an explanation.
  • Saying “My statement is a fact.”, doesn’t make the statement a fact.
  • Saying “I’m right.” without providing any proof that supports your side of the argument, then repeating that in several replies, is exactly what makes you a forum troll and is a reason to report you to forum moderators.

Maybe ask how people are doing what I’ve explained.

I did ask you:

So, you completely ignored that, and now you’re telling me to “be open” and “ask people”?

This is the irony - you, the dude complaining about “forum warriors”, “derailing threads” and “wasting time”, is in reality the only dude in the whole topic guilty of those things.

PS:

Oh, would you look at that. So your 10k+ was in fact not just from cheap gear. Guess I was right. Again.

1 Like

What AbombDaChamp doesn’t mention is his Boneclamor Barbute and 445% necrotic resistance, plus other Ward/s gear, passives, and blessing, adding a total of 241 ward per second. He has 537% ward retention and about 1k ward decay threshold.

With his 11.5k ward, he has an eHP against oneshots of 15k to 17k.

My pure life Paladin, when using his shield, has 19-25k eHP, and he has not the greatest gear, either. And that’s without having attacked with vengeance, adds more armour and damage reduction.

2 Likes

Don’t they give out Exsanguinous (Exsanguinouses? Exsanguini??) with decent roll t7 % health in cereal packets now adays? And as for the t4 sealed affix on a belt with t7 hybrid health, I’ve started just leaving them on the ground…

2 Likes

Wrong I don’t have to waste my time proving anything, no one does. It’s not my job to prove something or make you believe the facts lol. If something is a fact and it’s stated you have the option to do the work and disprove it if you disbelieve it.

If I have 11k Ward I don’t have to screen shot it to prove it. If I say there are factually 40k stable ward builds I don’t need to provide links and do all this work for you. I’ts not my job.

Did you think that my char is naked except for the 2 items? Of course other basic gear is equipped. This is a nonsensical argument just to be argumentative.

Yes this is true. It’s not hard to get 12k Ward and requires very basic cheap gear. Nothing has changed.