Why I don't play Last Epoch any more!

I don’t see the point in playing when all my characters will be moved to Offline status once the game goes live.

In my opinion the game is just as good, if not better, than a lot of other ARPG’s already released. The Devs need to release the game now, and add the bells and whistles with future patches and updates.

So come on EHG, release the game so I can play again without feeling I’m wasting my time!

Without a well working multiplayer Lost Epoch will go south. If the MP is there and a balance pass is done the game is almost ready besides optimisation stuff.

Still a lot of work to do. I’d rather see some free betas after MP is implemented to get more people hooked with LE rather then an early release of an unfinished and unpolished product.

1 Like

I just want to quote something from Mox, the CEO and Game Director of EHG here, which I think is very important.

• First: EHG admits that they will most likely do mistakes and that is very admirable in this industry.

• Second: Players don’t care if a game is alpha, beta or early-access. As soon as its accessable in some capacity, people will judge it and very likely will call it a flop, fail, disaster or what ever fancy words that make good headlines you can come up with.

The route EHG gone, with making their game accessable very very early on in their journey already caused the game to improve heavily, but a feature like multiplayer needs fundamnetally good systems and tech backing it up to work properly, otherwise EHG will not get any feedback how to improve. (If they have massive login and disconnect issue, there is no way the community will be able to help them improve that)

Releasing it, just for releasing it as soon as possible will not do the game any good.

7 Likes

All your characters are already Offline local only characters… They are not changing when the game launches and they are not deleting them… All that is going to happen is that we can make NEW chars in the Online/Multiplayer mode. You will still be able to play your old characters or make new local ones too…

Its not nearly ready - its missing 3 classes, three additional campaign chapters and the one thing virtually all players want: Multiplayer… If they launched the game officially right now without those things, it would, imho, crash and burn…

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by “release the game”? Last Epoch is currently fully playable. We’re working on remaining features as hard as we can, and they will be released as soon as they’re able to be - we’re not just holding onto core game features for some timeline. So my question here, is what to you would it mean to “release” that isn’t already available?

Your current characters are offline characters, and the current plan is for you to retain those offline characters and continue to play them now and in the future offline. We will not do any sort of character wipe unless we have absolutely no choice - We understand players have put a lot of time and effort into their characters and we don’t want to take that away if we can avoid it.

If the version of release means the inclusion of marketing - we want to hold off until we have the core game features in place, including multiplayer. I don’t understand what marketing would be doing for you personally however, so I don’t think this is what you mean.

If you mean release multiplayer - I assure you that we’re working on it as hard as we can. Heavy already quoted a note from Judd which is as accurate as it’s ever been. We have to make sure multiplayer is as stable and reliable as possible before we release it, as anything short of that could jeopardize the future of Eleventh Hour Games and Last Epoch. We really don’t want that to happen" we want to make the game we’ve always dreamed of making, and a game for the community to enjoy. We’ve seen much larger development teams fail due to bad multiplayer releases, and we don’t want that to happen to Last Epoch.

10 Likes

Indeed, “released” is a far more nebulous concept nowadays compared to cough ~30 years ago when stuff shipped on a floppy disk to a shop. If “released” means “feature complete”, how does that encompas continued development ala PoE? Was PoE’s 1.0 not “feature complete” given they’ve added a load more stuff to it over the past ~9 years?

2 Likes

Currently:
All character saves are offline and can be edited by a simple text program
In the future:
Players will be able to create both offline and online characters like in D2

Now in regards of characters becoming offline status.
Your character saves are already offline and in case you take a long break you can still play them, unless the changes to the save file format become so massive that the game cant recognize them.
In my case i returned after one year and i could continue my old characters & endgame but a few tabs from my stash tabs got deleted after the stash tab rework.

This means for your case that you’re mostly good to go and your old characters + mono progress will still be there.

I guess that’s the main fear, with the multiplayer feature release, AFAIK EHG didn’t clarify their position about the current offline experience.

• Maybe the data structure due to the needed changes is so different even single player needs either a port or a wipe.
  • Maybe the company decides to go full online with the product, also means a full wipe of offline saved data.
  • Maybe (and is the best scenario for this concern) completely separates offline and online data so we can keep our progress and just create new characters and game data (stash mainly) for online in the future.

They’ve always said that our current characters will remain offline only & that after MP releases you’ll be able to create either online or offline characters.

In the past whenever they’ve changed anything relating to saves the game has “ported” the save data (from the registry to the current location was the last one I remember).

Yeah, right now I’m kind of just on hold waiting for multiplayer release and/or runemaster news

for some one.
Online characters = Money $.
the process of the game is not important.
the important thing is spent time to get “online thing”, yes, money.

Mind to explain? I#m totaly lost and have no clue what you want to say with this.

I don’t share the opinion of the op about the offline characters and releasing the game, but before this thread also becomes a “games don’t release nowadays so it’s all fine” thread, maybe I can explain why I don’t play anymore and and what I understand from a release.

First of all, I hope all masteries are completed before the release of the game. At the current state some classes have access to less passive nodes or skills. Sure I didn’t played every build possible but I also won’t play stuff I don’t find enjoyable.

More importantly, I have no idea what the plan is for the periodic development going forward. I believe right now, most of the development time goes to the behind the scenes stuff like multiplayer, to lay the foundation for the future, and not for the 0.8.x updates, which is understandable.
But I have no idea what to except when this is done. Is it going to be like what we have right now, where we get a dungeon, maybe a new timeline for MoF and 10 uniques, and that’s it for the next 3/4 months? A completely new end game system every season/cycle? A new class every year?? I don’t know. I also don’t know what the intensions form the devs are. Maybe I am now following the forums and streams enough but the lack of communication about the end game systems is for me a little dissapointing.

I was sad to hear that the other two end game systems were scrapped (Epoch’s Call, and Gates something, I believe) and replaced with more dungeons. That was the point I stopped playing, mostly because I found the first dungeon very lackluster. Not the rewards, legendary items are amazing, but the gameplay. And I have zero motivation to do the same thing 3 times more often if I play the game. I have to, because not just the bosses and uniques but also mechanics are gated behind the dungeons. So I didn’t come back in 0.8.5 for two dungeons and some uniques.

I am sure there will be new skills I want to try or new end game (systems) I like to grind. And I hope these things happen more often when the game is released

Thank you for reading my ramblings.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.