Why can't I use left click to attack and move? No stand-in-place?

I’m having a very annoying problem with attacks “doing nothing”. I’ll switch from erasing strike to rive for example, and rive won’t do anything. i have to release the button and try again.
I ran some testing and it doesn’t seem to be due to the fact that i’m not targeting an enemy.
i’m finding it really hard to find a test case to be consistent, but it’s absolutely happening consistently.
i’m wondering if this is also an aspect of the bug being discussed in this thread.

i lost track of how many times i died because of it and needed to re-do a whole monolith.
or when trying to get loot, interact with something or even simple browsing tru skill trees and alike, i would say for you to try it for a couple of hours then tell-me if its not game breaking

ofc its not as bad as people not being able to login but that its just a problem its not a “gamebreaking” thing, the "high priority is that as it seems that this problem have been “here” for a while so why no fix yet ? and if you do a quick search a lot of people have this issue and also some may had give up and play the other way around

I just really hope folks can see through bugs and realize its a game still heavily in BETA. I get its difficult when you want things to go a certain way and you can’t. I’m also experiencing this same deal with a few skills I planned and can’t currently use. Just have to roll with the beta-punches and change it up. I’ll reroll lich for now etc is how I’m copiuming mine lol

I know it’s been a few days, but, if you’re interested in a workaround, you can put your main attack on your right click, hold down left click to walk, and then attack with right click. It’s not perfect for you, but it’s a workaround that should allow to at least be able to play!

pls fix this bug asap, i want to be able to play my shadow dagger rouge build with mouse only

relogging helped for me everytime

It does not seem to be fixed in 0.9.0f. Any news ?

This counts as almost game-breaking. We are being deprived of 1 skill slot; very frustrating.

1 Like

No, you would still only have access to 5 skill slots even if it worked as it did before (which I assume it will when they fix whatever issue is causing it to not work).

Have the devs acknowledged this is a bug and not a feature? Most players seem to prefer not to have a skill set to the move/interact button as evidenced by the fact I can’t find all that many people complaining about this supposed bug. Plus look at the D4 beta - It had the opposite issue where you couldn’t remove the skill from move/interact, and people went bananas demanding it.

Yes, they did:

1 Like

i have the same issue. first time i played you couldnt have attack and move on the mouse 1. second time i played you could do that, but it meant losing your force move key which then meant i died because i got locked in attacks and didnt have a way to force move out of an aoe hit and some bosses like the big lovecraft monster thing became actually unplayable because their hitbox basically covers the whole screen so you cant ever move during the fight you are prem locked into just attacking.

being able to attack + move with the left click and then also having a force move is how the diablo games work. d2 is the father of the genre, d3 sold 65 million copies, d4 will sell even more copies than that. a lot of those people are gonna come and try out this game and the way their keys have worked for 5,000, 10,000, 20,000+ hours of play over 20+ years do not work in this game. i watched a diablo 2 streamer try this game out last night and it drove him mad just like it drove me mad.

the reason you wont get the same backlash people like d4 get is because d4 has way more players and people need that game to work. people will come here, try the game and then just say this sucks and quit playing. i came, tried the game, actually came and made a post because i care about the game and just had a bunch of forum regulars try and tell me my feedback was invalid. i played 1 char, tried to play a second character and the controls were just so messed up after 1000s of hours of D2, probably 5000+ hours of D3, 20,000+ hours of PoE, 1000s of hours of grim dawn and torchlight, always using the same controls, to come to a game like this and it doesnt support the same controls every other arpg uses that ive spent probably 30k hours playing? im 41 years old i was playing diablo 1 when it first released, i will never ‘learn’ other controls. my second char was a sort of whirlwind thing which ive always had on mouse 1 in d3 and poe and i couldnt do that + have a dedicated force move key which i feel is essential on a char that gets in the thick of combat and i just quit playing, it drove me so mad i just felt like f this game and if i give feedback a bunch of people will tell me because they play with different controls my feedback is invalid so just walked away from the game.

if this game ever fixes its controls ill come back and play the hell out of it cause its such a good game, but if you dont have a dedicated force move key + a shift stand still key? i just cant get my head around it.

1 Like

So, still no fix for this, huh?

No, it works. Assign a skill slot to your left click. If your mouse is over an enemy it will use the skill, otherwise you will walk. Hold shift to stand still and force the ability to be used.

Not if you’re playing ranged. I literally just tried this out. All you do is stand there and attack, no move.

I think something is not being communicated properly because I also just tested it again right now and as far as I can tell it works with Swipe, Tempest Strike, Flurry (melee), Flurry (bow), Puncture (melee), Puncture (bow), Fireball, Lightning Blast, Flame Reave and Mana Strike. If you are experiencing something different, please open a bug report with details on the specific interaction.

I didn’t check a throwing ability but it really shouldn’t be any different. Also checked Javelin, Hammer Throw and Acid Flask. All good.

I assigned Flurry (bow) to LMB in what originally the RMB (skill 5) slot, and instead of moving, the character just stood still and attacked.

So you don’t feel alone in this, I kind of agree. A lot of attacks freeze you in place for too long in general and it’s hard on the lategame bosses not to get instantly annihilated. You just get very brief windows to attack and you can do very little to animation cancel out of it if you’re in danger. Shift to attack might help, but I’m not sure it would totally fix this.

That calculation / trade off is important to creating difficulty in a game like this. But at the same time, it really does feel like you get punished for attacking really hard on certain classes or spec’s that don’t get enough defense to eat a hit or two before dying. It’s even worse when you’re playing a boss that has an instant-death AOE that you 100% cannot afford to chance it on. The game really favors ranged and pet classes, that don’t have to worry about this basically at all.

As Mike wrote, open a thread in #bug-reports and describe the problem as detailed as possible.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.