Undilute the shard tables please

can we remove unnecessary affixes like the individual resistances when we have all element and vitality?
merge things like the individual armor and armor% into one thing AND remove both of the other two (instead of just having all 3)
and things to that nature? there’s a boatload of shard affixes that nobody has ever used or will ever use unless by accident on an otherwise well rolled piece or while leveling…

Such as? I agree that there’s probably too many damage types/protections & we could probably drop 1 (though Grim Dawn does ok with a lot more) given the lack of affix slots on gear and the lack of other stuff you can put on gear to bolster things like that (like Grim Dawn’s augments).

Single resis are useful

1 Like

well in the current meta, anything that isn’t glancing blow, crit avoidance, ward retention, or main stat has to fight to occupy a handful of slots to complete a niche build.

i simply can’t imagine a scenario (unless there’s some sort of secret meta i havn’t caught onto yet) why someone would need such affects as:
Chance to find potions

anything regarding block (even if you were using a shield, there are just better defensive stats to put on it)

damage dealt to mana before health (as opposed to just better defense stats)

damage reflected (not for minions, we all know how strong that one is, but personal reflect is pointless)

x stat for 4 seconds on potion use (there’s a few of them)

7 different kinds of damage over time (instead of just 1 blanket DoT stat that covers you, your minons, elemental damage, etc.)

4 different kinds of glancing blow affixes (such as set, flat, and a couple of dual stats)

multiple kinds of health regen (such as %, flat amount per second, and minions)

increased healing effectiveness (something that might see use in multiplayer, but for now it’s not particularly useful)

individual resists as opposed to the existing blanket options.

melee options for individual elements instead of adaptive or blanket element affixes.

Basically the same as above, but for general individual damage % modifiers as opposed to blanket adaptive or encompassing elemental modifiers.

2,000 minion specific stats regarding minion toughness or damage instead of just 2 minion stats that do everything regarding those things (or better yet no minion stats, and just adequately scaling them off your character)

the single version of anything that has a set affix version.

for now that’s all i can think of, but cleaning these off the table will at the very least increase the rate at which we get more useful and class specific affixes.

block is a great stat. damage dealt to mana before health is superb - each point of mana is 5 health, and it provides that extra HP without cutting into the value of your protections at all.

the different flavors of DoT mean you can double up on them. if there was just 1, you couldn’t occupy multiple affix slots with it. the more specific varieties also tend to have higher values in exchange.

i’m pretty sure there’s only 2 GB affixes - set and regular.

if minion stats just scaled off your character, every single build would run minions because they’d have no opportunity cost aside from the skill slots they take up.

grain of salt and all that, this is coming from a necromancers perspective so i’ve never had a reason to use a shield, but maybe if you’re a sentinel i guess…

there are 4 GB affixes, flat, set, GB and hp, and GB and armor dual affixes (they’re rare, but they exist)

i personally don’t want to have my mana yanked from me to survive since that means i lose my damage (at the very least, i can cast wraiths less times)

and are you saying that having pets is a bad thing? because basically all primalist classes and necromancers use minions anyways, mages don’t have an option for it, and i don’t know what sentinels do because the one time i tried to play one it was boring as sin. at best this would affect liches, who specifically already have talent nodes on skeleton mages and summon skeleton specifically for them, so it’s really a non issue.

I think we’ll have to wait for the legendaries before giving a final “verdict” to the affixes system.

My hopes are that legendaries are some kind of super rares that will give more affixes slots (up to 6 ?).

And who knows, maybe we could have exalted legendaries. Up to 6 affixes on an item, and one (or more) of them being t6/ t7.

So far i like it, but i agree, it’s hard to give flavors to the builds i make while ticking all the “defensive affix boxes”.

Block is awesome for the Sentinel, we can get into the 90s for block chance which will add several k to the protections.

Personally I didn’t like the mana before health affix on my Sentinel.

After playing Grim Dawn, with its 10 damage types (many of which are not intuitive) I find this game refreshingly simple already.

A lot of those stats are used in strong builds. Even if you don’t like the stats, there are those that do like them. Just a few examples:

• You can get Orians Eye which converts void damage taken to fire damage taken. And since poison is not that scary, you can go with necrotic resis.
  • Block is very strong
  • Dodge and ignite on potion use are also very strong

I wish you luck

I’d argue that many of the affixes you mentioned to be useless have a purpose. Even potion find is good for Forge Guard that uses the damage increase on potion use passives.

Affixes that boost single stats have a much higher value than those that boost general:
Melee Physical Damage > Physical Damage

Added Armor and %increased Armor are divided into pre- and suffixes so you can use both on the same item. Also you need both flat and %increased values because only one would be meaningless without the other.

If you dive deeper into theory crafting and special builds you may be happy to have all these opportunities to choose from.

1 Like

that’s just a matter of tuning.

So combine them? free’s up a slot in the prefix or suffix category which is kinda the point instead of wasting 2 slots on 1 toughness stat.

My super-tanky, shield-wielding, block-inducing Paladin says, “Hold my beer.” :wink:

1 Like

I agree, it seems like a lot of overload and I have about 15 affix shard I’ll practically never use on any build other than a new character. Seems bloated to a degree and there is nothing wrong with bloat if most of the bloat is useful. I don’t generally care what my low levels are wearing as it will be replaced soon anyways.

These overabundance of weak Sharda exist to make it seem like your getting loot while your waiting for rare shards and shatterings to drop. I have about 500 poison protection shards and about 5 set glancing blow for example. Now if I could trade those in for some kind of return that might fix the issue.

Side note : requiring about 9-10 affix slots for glancing blow and critical strike avoidance makes gearing and crafting pretty boring overall as close to 40% of your affix options are dedicated to those two stats.

1 Like

The Health + GB and Armor + GB were removed in a recent patch. Here are the results for Glancing Blow.

I know that the flat + % shards are two different things because certain classes and skills stockpile on one of them, so having the other affix is more optimal to put on gear. I know totem Shamans have a lot of flat protections, so the % protection affixes give you more bang for your buck; Sentinels have a lot of % Armor increases, so they more benefit from flat Armor.

I’m assuming that the affixes are given a rarity, so that once we get an item filter, we can filter for things like “always show high level bases” and “always show rare affixes,” so that the vast majority of junk won’t even be shown. It would also be nice if we can filter for flat bonuses against % bonuses so the above situation can be further filtered.

I’d like to see the “On potion use” affixes be used more, in my opinion, like having a burn user be able to take advantage of the “increased potion finds” so that you can take a potion every so often and get a huge boost out of it. I’d like to see the potion timer get increased from 4 seconds to more around 10 seconds as 4 seconds is a very low time to be able to beat the harder enemies that would require the potion use in the first place.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.