Umbral blade does not apply shadow dagger appropriately with lethal darkness allocated

When applying shadow dagger using umbral blade’s passive “lethal darkness”, the shadow daggers sometimes don’t apply. Additionally, even when it applies, a lot of the times reaching 4 daggers do not deal the dagger’s damage.

I’m not sure whether the bladestorm from “cacophony of steel” and the explosion from “explosive blades” were supposed to apply shadow dagger too when “lethal darkness” is allocated, but currently even if it is supposed to, it’s also only applying shadow dagger occasionally.
Furthermore, when shadow dagger is applied with umbral blade, reaching 4 daggers or over resets the count, but does not deal the shadow dagger damage sometimes. It simply resets the count. I have tested this and only see the damage of the umbral blade.

The above mentioned bug have been tested and present in the settings below:
(All of below has “lethal darkness” allocated)

1. Just lethal darkness and every prior required passive.
  2. Same as 1, but with dual wielding daggers, wielding dagger+sword, dagger and empty offhand
  3. Cacophony of steel allocated.
  4. Explosive blades allocated.
  5. Both cacophony of steel and explosive blades allocated together.

All of the above passives show the same problem of not applying shadow daggers and not dealing the shadow dagger damage.

I feel the same here

I not only felt it, I also tested it on the target dummy and confirmed it lol. But yeah the current bug makes the build feel really awful to play

Totally, it was so weirds while I m using it to the dummy. I didn’t notice it was a bug until I read ur post.

Came here to report the same bug. Seems to be applying like 60-75% of the time on average when testing on the training dummy. It also clearly has the same issue on mobs.

Umbral Blades has a 40% less chance to apply ailments & Shadow Daggers is an ailment which lines up nicely to what you’re seeing. IMO, the Sword Thrower node could probably do with a tweak to change the added damage effectiveness & ailment application chance modifiers “back” to normal since that node makes you throw only 1 Umbral Blade. Though this is feedback rather than a bug.

ohhhh!````````will increase shadow daggers effect help? I have about 160% , how is 40% less chance applying aliments affects? 160% * (1-40%)?

@BEelzebub868 “Increase shadow daggers effect” increases the dmg AFAIK, not it’s proc rate. It would likely use completely different wording if it increased the chance of a proc happening, just as other ailment modifiers do.

@Llama8 Thanks - totally missed the alt text on that skill.

1 Like

Just wanted to add my observations to this and an “assumption” about the Sword Thrower node. It feels like behind the scenes this simply combined 2.5 daggers into 1 for damage and ailment purposes. Sometimes I get 0 stacks of Shadow Daggers on a throw, sometimes 1, and sometimes I get 2 (have never seen 3, so not sure if that is possible). Then the Explosive Blades node can also proc 1 stack.

To add on though, I have never seen Explosive Blades proc a stack of Dusk Shroud from the explosion, only direct hits. At minimum, this seems inconsistent. The Explosive Blades tooltip indicates that it’s actually a subskill that is going off, not the original UB. In other words, I question whether the explosion should be proccing BOTH Dusk Shroud and Shadow Daggers, or neither.

Also, it’s very counter intuitive that the Blade Explosion subskill scales with Intelligence instead of Dexterity.

As Llama8 stated, Umbral Blades has 40% less chance to apply ailments, so all hits from Umbral Blades and its subskills have less chance to apply Shadow Daggers. Increased Shadow Daggers effect is a multiplier on its damage and has no impact on the chance of application.

There is currently a bug with damage numbers where if two instances of damage occur on a target at the exact same time, only one will be shown. This is why you’ll generally not see the damage from Shadow Daggers triggering. We’re working on a fix.

Also, it’s very counter intuitive that the Blade Explosion subskill scales with Intelligence instead of Dexterity.

This is an errant tooltip, we’ll fix that. It has no impact on gameplay though - the attribute scaling used for subskills is always that of the skill which created it (Umbral Blades, in this case).
Thanks for the reports!

Good to know and thanks for the clarification. Any word on if Explosive Blades should be applying Dusk Shroud like it does Shadow Daggers as well?

No, because that node is “on use” not “on hit”.

And Explosive Blades is not “on hit” for Lethal Darkness as it says UB, yet it procs. So something needs to be clarified on how Explosive Blades inherits nodes from UB. On the same topic, does Explosive Blades gain the benefit of the Edge of Obscurity node?

Effects that occur “when you use” refer to a discrete action taken, i.e. when you cast Umbral Blades, you have a chance to gain Dusk Shroud from Dawnfall. The blade exploding afterward is not a discrete action performed by you, so it doesn’t re-trigger the “when you use” effect.
Explosive Blades do have a separate hit, so “on hit” effects can occur again.
Nodes that modify Umbral Blades, such as Edge of Obscurity, do apply to its subskills such as Explosive Blades.

Thanks, that all makes sense. It may not be high on the list, but it would be great if the tooltips helped clarify these interactions. Also aids in finding whether something is a bug vs my own misinterpretation of a node/skill.

I have also tested the same bug on bosses (not dummy) and I suppose, it’s not a damage displaying bug, because the boss doesn’t seem to receive SD damage.

Also, the counter often drops to zero without procing Shadow Dagger.

I tested it without blade blast, it seemed like really random proc or even “cancel” of shadow daggers effect. I also noticed, that umbral blades can somehow stack SD , but to gain constant proc you need to use another skill (shift or cascade for example), in this case it works almost normal. But if you use another skill while having 1 or 2 SD stacks from UB, it may often be reset to zero without proccing.

Maybe there’s a conflict between other sources of shadow blades, but I think the problem is definitely not in displaying damage numbers. Because when I switch to other skill with SD the damage displays normally and the boss dies several times faster, given SD is the main source of damage in both cases.

Please, pay attention to this, thank you

It seems completely wrong.
If it was some global chance to apply shadow dagger or any other ailment, then yes we need to apply 40% less chance.
But we are in the context of umbral blades skill already. So everything that applies any ailment inside tree must not be affected by less chance to apply ailments by umbral blades.
All this must be calculated before. Need to change node text to 60% chance or it just a bug

I checked it again with explosive blades and now it seems to proc SD correctly

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.