Tongue of the abberant seer unique ring

Hi devs
Playing for few weeks and was enjoying the game quite a lot. After some bizarre nerfs and balancing in the last patch a bit less, but to the point.

Really want to know the reasoning behind this new unique ring. It’s dodge based and adds to poison, so you would think it should be a ring for Rogue, but it only adds levels and poison chance to spells and not attacks, and only those who have poison as base damage (not inflicting poison), so it’s only limited to 2 acolyte spells (1 of which is now useless) or am i missing something ?

So the suggestion is simple, change the ring base and buff it more to be useful with the super super nerfed lich spells, or make the ring add +1 lvl to all abilities and poison on all hits, otherwise what is the point ?

Or maybe it’s some hidden design decision I don’t get :slight_smile:
Thanks

Welcome to the LE Community!

First of i want to point out:

I am not sure what “bizarre” means for you, but this is beta and balance and tweaking is expected.

In case you are talking about one of the most skills that got the most attention, here is a really insightful comment of their Lead Developer:

Now regarding to the ring you are talking about:

I think this ring is not even meant to be something tremendously strong, it’s jsut a nice leveling mid-tier uniques.
They did add a lot of those low-medium level uniqeus this patch, which should feel exciting if you find them early.

+1 to skills is incredibly strong early on and msot of the stats on the unique are fairly generic, so almsot any character could use it if you find it early.

Also most uniques in LE are very specific and do not buff multiple archetypes, which i personally really do like a lot, since they are nost just some “better rare”, but they are meant to be for specific purposes.

In this case the whole “poison spell” is a very specific niche.
A Unique like this is not meant to buff your entirely arsenal of skills IMO.

1 Like

What spells does the ring even affect? The Build Planner tool doesn’t even +1 any skills when you equip it.

Items having Dodge or Poison on them don’t automatically mean “Rogue item”. I believe that that is the answer to “am I missing something?”

That is the issue, it’s a ring for 2 spells if you change the base dmg to poison, so again what is the point of it existing ? It could be a cool unique but right now, it’s a bizarre one, so that is why I’m asking.

Also sorry, but killing a skill bc of ‘visual noise’ is bs lol

Anything with the Poison and Spell tags, such as:

• Volatile Zombies with Vomit
  • Wandering Spirits with Infectious Dead
  • Drain Life with Virulence
  • Dread Shade with Vile Ghast

That’s just what I know off the top of my head in Lich.

In your mind, they “killed” the skill.

In my mind they opened some more interesting and exciting options.

The new nodes are awesome and Wandering Spirits is still very much fine as an active damage dealer.
You just can’t have it with 100% uptime killing everything around you.

I really don’t like the term “killing” in this sense. It’s just exaggerated.
Maybe some of the nodes or the skill baseline could use some more numeric love, but they did to the skill mechanicly was good.

On top of this “Visual Noise” is a really important topic, other games to this day didn’t get right and LE starts to struggle with it already with some of the Chapter 9 mobs.

But yeah, this is a subject for another discussion

2 Likes

Check again, it doesn’t effect spells without poison base, so no zombies, Dread Shade ect. :wink:

Anyway, this was a suggestion thread, not the everyone has an opinion about other topics thread, so I’m out, thanks for the replies.

If you are specialized in a skill to grant it a new tag like adding poison, it will grant that skill a +level as though it always had that tag. If you can find an example of this not being the case in game, please create a bug report.

3 Likes

Heavy: can you tell me how you’re using WS as an active damage dealer? I played with it quite a bit and can’t get it to be good at all. For transparency, I’m not calling you out, I really want to know how to make this skill effective again because the theme and visuals of it really appeal to me :smiley:

I suggest you check again.

Not sure if there are currently ways to make it viable at its current power level, but it definitely seems underpowered in most cases right now and will be buffed in a hotfix.

It would also be good to know people’s opinions on whether we should make changes to the tree that would cause a respec (i.e. anything that makes any existing tree layouts invalid), and how disruptive that would feel mid patch cycle. It’s normally something we avoid where possible in hotfixes, but it would allow more flexibility for tree changes that might otherwise need to wait for 0.8.4. We would still buff the base skill either way.

1 Like

I think it’s safe to say nobody is currently using WS, so a tree change would have little to no concern experienced by current players. Another thought, we aren’t doing leagues/seasons yet so it really doesn’t matter to me(us?) if passive tree changes come in a hotfix or a patch, ESPECIALLY when it’s buffs.

1 Like

The new cursed/damned node is super strong, since it’s effectively 2x60% more damage from 5 skill points.

It’s definitely not my main damage dealer, but the damage is ok as a support damage layer.
I am playing full DoT (not ailment) Lich, with Drain Life, Spirit Plague and Wandering Spirits.

I could definitely see Wandering Spirits being buffed numericly, but i think the mechanical changes are just fine

IMO it’s fully ok to do more significant changes to any skill mid patch cycle.
Especially when you grant a free respec to the skill.

I know lots of people are not super happy with how respecing and regaining exp in LE works, but even in story and early MoF it literally takes like 5 minutes to gain back 90% of your power and maybe the last 1-2 skills levels do take 10-15 minutes if you are not levle 80+ and do high MoF.

I always advocate for full chaos. It’s early access, who cares about leaderboards.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.