The Case against a Trade Economy

In your example, you’re failing to grasp where 70c came from.
70c came from.

1. I bet I can get 50c for this item (it sells). Yep, I can.
  2. I bet I can get 70c for this item (it sells). Yep, I can.
  3. I bet I can get 100c for this item (it doesn’t sell). Nope, seems people are ok with 70c.

You and Llama are putting that forth as some sort of fair deal. i.e. Obviously, someone else didn’t value 50c or 70c as much as the item, but many people valued 100c more than the item.

A few problems:

1. If you leave it at 100c longer, it might eventually sell to someone.
  2. Any price you set is based on greed - i.e. how MUCH can I get for this item, and not value.
  3. With prices being visible, you are into full blown economy mode, with people undercutting prices to get a quick sale, others cornering items and driving up the price, etc. All of that is pure exploitation and greed.

The problem you guys have is you are willing to white-wash all those exploitive behaviors of the actual economy, not to even MENTION how you’re avoiding the Bots/RMT issue like Superman avoids Kryptonite.

You are also unwilling to admit that IF (and I will return to my caveat about being unable to define “100% fair” here), but IF trades are actually “100% fair” regardless of what criteria you use, then there still is no need for currency and an economy. There is no mechanical difference between getting 70c and then buying the item, versus putting some item you found (in the time it would take to get 70c) up for free, and then seeing a cool item you want and grabbing it for free.

The fundamental basis is that both players put up an item representing their time, and got an item from another player which represented their time. That’s it.

Layering on real-world economics doesn’t make that trade better. It only makes it more familiar.

1 Like

No, son. What you’re missing is the one critical element of it all:

An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Value doesn’t have any objective source. It’s completely subjective. Economies are all about finding that balance between supply, demand, and price.

This doesn’t work because of supply/demand, even if you try to exclude price. Also, your proposal doesn’t ensure that people get what they want–only what’s available (and what’s available will be significantly inferior)–the classic problem with communism. You don’t get to just skip the mechanics and call it equal. It’s not.

I’m starting to get the impression from all this talk about capitalism being exploitative that you might not like your job very much.

1 Like

I’m getting the impression he might not be very high on the totem pole. :rofl:

Supply and Demand works only in cases of limited Supply.

I hate to use fiction (but, we’re talking about a video game, so I feel its fair… :stuck_out_tongue: ), the premise of “no money” in Star Trek was that there was, in effect, infinite supply (if you aren’t a Trekkie, its because of replicators.)

If there is a pile of items in a searchable list, and you search that list to see if there’s anything to fit your build (“I just need a Sapphire ring with mana regen and Phys resist!”), then the existence of 100,000 other items doesn’t impede your ability to find that item.

There are also ways to cut down “inferior” items. Here’s just one idea (I’m sure there are more):

• Items have rarity, Item Level, individual affix tiers, and a combined/total affix tier.
  • If players need to be “incentivized” (i.e. carrot on a stick) to put up good items, then grant a reward they would desire based on the “quality” of the item donated. I suggested a character buff but honestly, just go with “you get a scaling reward based on item quality”.
  • In return, you can now avail yourself of that same free system to get items for yourself. So, once players get into the cycle, it would go:
    – I donate a good item for that sweet, sweet buff (the crappy items don’t give me much so I just vendor that crap).
    – I go play and make use of that buff
    – I come back, and search for a good item for myself. I appreciate that the system works both ways.

With a system like that, there will be so many items posted, I can’t imagine running “low” on anything. Will there be thousands of Tier 20 items up there with the perfect stats you need for your build? At first, no way. But eventually because no one can manipulate the system to “short” the supply. Its not manipulatable by players like an economy is. That’s the advantage.

Just gonna call out a technical error here. Replicators don’t create something from nothing. They recycle used mass into energy and they create mass from stored energy. It isn’t infinite. There are episodes that address the issues with them.

As for the proposal, it’s borderline off-topic to keep posting about it here when you have a thread dedicated to it and it’s been pretty well debunked, despite your protestations and excuses to the contrary.

Or just use an economy, because that’s a tried and true method that works–and is what the devs stated in the kick starter.

Nothing about the 70c, cornering the market on items to drive up prices, bots, RMTs… just superior Trek knowledge to mine, and a repetition of “Economy good!” with nothing to back it up? Really?

Also, I’ve already made the appropriate arguments.

This is actually an amazing idea, we could make it like gold or something which they could then use to get other items they want.

3 Likes

That’s what I’ve been saying in all these threads.

Btw. What’s wrong with exploitation for profits? I love it. Especially in an ARPG.

2 Likes

I’m sort of curious how they intend it to be “fantastic to find certain items” & “never overshadow the rewards from the world” at the same time?

I mean, if I can get an “uber” item from the world, are they implying that I could not then trade it because then the “uber” item would be available in the Bazaar which would invalidate their claim of “never overshadowing” ?

It also seems like the “you can’t do any direct trade” will be a friends-list only, time-measured thing, which does stop most RMT. (Would be REALLY hard for RMT sellers to sell you an in-game item and then somehow trade it directly to you).

Not much detail there. I wonder how they intend to protect the “bazaar” system from manipulation?

Finally, some legitimate discussion points.

This isn’t an easy thing to accomplish, but I’ve said a few times that the best approach I have seen is to let players decide the economy without letting the economy give them everything. This means the top end chase gear is off the trade table. Where exactly you cut that off is up for debate, but I think it’s a sound principle. You want most things to be tradeable, though.

It’s going to be a challenge for sure, but I think the biggest upshot to this system is that it makes it easier to track down who is doing the RMT and who is doing business with the RMTers. Some always slip through the cracks, but it’s one of those things where “Most is good enough,” imo.

I think it depends on what sort of manipulation you’re worried about, but I’m curious about this too.

1 Like

Hm… 2 other topics about trade closed. Let’s not go the same way here.

Just leaving my own opinion here out of context of the 2-3 people that argue over 3 threads now:

I liked trading in every game that offers a decent trade mechanic. Back in the days of D2 we traded items for items or runes. This was awesome. For weeks I hesitated to trade and tried to farm stuff with a buddy. But the game, really took off when I started trading.

In WoW the auction house was a gold source and a gold sink. Also you could not only buy crafted items, you could also gather all materials for a craft and find people that craft for you to get things a bit cheaper.

In Warframe I traded a lot to get prime parts or prime mods.

Trade is one of the most exciting aspects of an online game for me.

Yes, there are scammers and griefers and stuff. Like in real life. I hope EHG finds solutions. Maybe there need to be restrictions. Not having any connection between real money and ingame trading is a good first step. As long as there’s no real profit, the professional gold farmers have not that much of an incentive to invest this game.

If course there may be other ways people try to abuse the system and EHG then has to deal with it.

But not implementing a fun system (it is for many many people) because of the fear of abusing it, is not the best way.

There will be character boosting services, where people will pay money to others for them leveling their characters. If you want to prevent this, you should just not create a game.

Also sometimes people expect to have a fully balanced economy. That will never happen and should not be the primary goal. With new cycles the economy is reset. If the economy doesn’t get out of hand in a few months, everything is fine.

I’m curious about the trading system in LE and think it will be an important part for me to incentivise playing for a long time.

3 Likes

Exactly cause I want to get something in return to buy something else. Of course you could do that by donating / getting donated items but selling it also determines its worth.

Following along with your comments. I think the whole community should take a step back and be respectful of each other will go a long way to having meaningful discussions. I think we also should refrain from getting into topics without EHG providing further information. I think they want the 0.8.2 to get some burn time to access how that is working out before tackling much more in the 0.9 patches. I know they have to be working on it, but getting 0.8.2 on a great foundation will go a long way to keeping the game on a positive trajectory.

1 Like

I was more suggesting that an item that you might consider good enough to deserve a spot in a build might not be the kind of thing you would just dump into a community welfare bin, but if you thought it could afford you some financial or other material gain, you’d be inclined to trade it.

It’s probably worth mention that I wouldn’t actually have a problem with his system if it wasn’t for his insistence on trying to do away with trade economies. If he wanted to have that community pool alongside the normal trade economy, it might actually be interesting and worthwhile, and considerably less likely to spark the resentment and disgust that would either put people off the game entirely or seek to undermine that system out of spite.

I don’t have a very big dog in this fight, much like multiplayer, I don’t tend to trade much regardless of how advanced I get. In Grim Dawn I just gave stuff to players who might post they needed something.

But I think it’s healthy for us to give thoughts and ideas for upcoming aspects of the game. EHG has proven that they take to heart the comments made, both for/against, pro/con. Then they do something that has the EHG spin on it. Then they get more debate and they tweak. They’ll keep tweaking because as we know, they won’t go FULL release until ‘it’s ready.’

That’s encouraging.

For me, any trade economy has to have a way of dealing with the outliers (note: not ‘cater to’ but a way to at least address it), the ones who will abuse the system and the other end those who almost never use it. On the abusive ones they need to have built into the system some way to handle most of it.

On the other side, those of us like me who very rarely use it, there needs to be some way that doesn’t make it terribly daunting otherwise we will just never use it, which I guess is okay but it’d kind of be a shame if trade becomes a comfortable part of the game. Think introvert/extrovert. Our world caters a lot to the extroverts and us introverts might never do something because, well, you get the idea.

These are mostly broad scope concepts I guess without any real idea how to do it. But I hope the feedback is at least helpful.

Not sure what you mean by this.

Another summary reply to some of the discussion, I apologize for not quoting individuals but it’s a rather complex topic and I feel I have to expand on some factors.

First off, I would kindly ask to keep discussion civil, for one, and to refrain from dragging political discussions or debates about real-world economic systems into this, because it frankly has absolutely no place here.

This kind of goes to show that the topic is surrounded by a lot of misconceptions and misunderstanding, and people bring in quite a bit of emotion without grasping the design notions at play.

The crux of the issue is that you set out to design your ARPG to be fun in core gameplay, you want your basic class/skill/gear design to be engaging, and combat to be enjoyable. Now you want to set out to ensure that there is as much replayability and longevity to this loop as possible, without having progress turn into tedium and a perceived “grind” too early.

I must once more stress that the topic is about a trade economy, meaning the free exchange of drops between players not in the same party or on each others’ friend lists for ages. Drops being tradable in parties is not part of the issue here, and doesn’t pose any challenges to maintaining itemization balance integrity.

The focus is on ensuring that Trade does not make playing “normally” and engaging with Crafting and Filters mostly irrelevant. And the difficulty herein lies in the fact that it is incredibly hard to find that sweet spot in making Trade feel fun and actually adding another layer to the enjoyment of the game, without having it immediately become the go-to method to progress your character and virtually bypass a large part of the core gameplay structure.

“I don’t care what others do, let them trade for all I care” doesn’t really apply here, because you cannot, by definition approach itemization design without factoring in Trade. As i’ve attempted to describe in earlier comments, it is not a factor you can just ignore as it throws the balance out of whack too easily.

This is, unfortunately, an area where developers cannot rely purely on community sentiment, and have to be the adults in the room and make decisions for them, because (and I know this will may be unpopular), it really is a case of “You think you do, but you really don’t”.

As somebody who has played through barter p2p in D2, ingame AH in D3, non-trade smart drop SSF in D3, and the general chaos of everything existing in PoE, I can safely say that no game has so far managed to hit that sweet spot I mentioned above, for various reasons.

Every game has run into massive issues of Trade either being too overbearing and posing significant challenges to maintaining core drop functionality in endgame (“i enjoy playing because I feel motivated to find upgrades or interesting items”) or becoming an annoyance to the majority of the playerbase. If it becomes too convenient or accessible, the itemization has to be designed to accommodate this, which is why Vanilla D3 felt absolutely terrible to progress in Inferno, because progress without playing the economy was virtually impossible and drops felt very bad as a result. The opposite extreme in D3 2.0 felt very rewarding and fun early on, but rapidly lost its long term appeal as loot lost its appeal very quickly. The barter system in D2 simply encouraged a massive 3rd party black market and rampant botting for RMT. And PoE tried to both balance itemization around Trade existing, while simultaneously maintaining multiple layers of complexity for SSF progression and keeping Trade as much of a hassle as possible.

None of these approaches worked, all had a massive impact on replayability and community perception. LE has a unique opportunity here of being in a state that basically works for SSF without showering you in smart loot, while offering an intuitive, enjoyable Crafting system that is not unnecessarily convoluted and fun to engage with, and still preserving a typical ARPG endgame progression of long term chase goals.

As i’ve mentioned before, a Bazaar with bid-only interaction might be one option for restricted selections of items, however let’s play that through: by it being bid-only, you are practically forced to time your sessions to “snipe” an auction you want, and simultaneously vastly reduce your chances of obtaining it. This means that it automatically leads to much more frustration and time “wasted” instead of just playing the game normally.

If you open it up to a buyout AH or marketplace, access becomes both too easy (trivializing the vast majority of gameplay in terms of drop progression, from campaign to Empowered Monoliths), and making itemization in endgame unnecessarily complicated to balance.

Some of you enjoy Trade, so do I, but I’ve also never enjoyed a pure SSF ARPG as much as I have LE in its current state, and I believe it is way too dangerous to allow Trade in virtually any form - except for party/friend list Trade, which fits into the organic SSF nature of playing together/long term, and doesn’t add the same kind of exponentially derailing factors to consider.

Now as to “current drops are boring/crafting is bad for reason x”, i’m not saying it’s perfect rn, obviously more is coming and iteration is needed. But the core structure works better than any ARPG i’ve played, and I truly have played them all.

Is it really worth opening the Pandora’s Box of another factor to balance it all?

2 Likes