The Case against a Trade Economy

This is what makes trading exciting for me. It’s not so much about what I can buy from others. Having a trade system in place makes the loot hunt more exciting for me because I now have a use for those items that won’t work for my class.

It’s the only thing that made picking up all those abyss jewels and stygian belts worth it to me in PoE. They are so easy to craft into something worth a lot to someone else. If I had no means to trade them, I would never have picked them up and then most of the drops become meaningless to me.

4 Likes

This. Because trading gives value to items.

I don’t otherwise want to participate in this thread because it’s one of those where both sides are going to convert no one.

7 Likes

So far it hasn’t been adversarial. I think it’s one of those few topics where we all seem to understand how complicated the topic is, lol.

1 Like

Okay time to bring in the thoughts of a SSF HC main here. My posed thoughts on trade is very specific and clear on what I like and dislike. So let me pose the dislikes first!

Dislikes:

• Free trading allows to get too rich to quick making items feel devalued and devaluing the time in invest to get the thing I want.

• Waiting for another player to respond while they do their content before trade can even begin to happen

• The game focuses from content pushing to economy based gameplay in most cases to get rich to make most busted builds possible.

• Price fixing/gouging

there is enough here you guys can see where i am going.

Positives:

• I’m able to trade within my group of friends. help each other out and create sense of community!

that is all i like when it comes to trade.

If trade were to be implemented. I would really like it to be limited with the party you play with. I really like the idea of SSF group play. Only being able to trade within the party you play with frequently. Anything beyond usually comes with too many negatives where it made the whole trade scene for me undesirable.

Sorry I don’t have much more to add. But hopefully this help progress the discussion into more limited trade systems in way that can be appealing without the normal negatives.

3 Likes

Those 3 points can be relatively easily addressed by proper implementation of a trading system.

This is a very good point, that for some people is a negative and for some it’s a positive.

Being able to “slowly” work towards a goal, by collecting and selling relatively lower value items until you have enough to buy yourself one of those shiny “UberSwordOfNeverEndingDoom” Items, that is much more rare and expensive is a great motivator for alot of people that either can’t beat the content that item drops in, or it’s too rare for them to farm it themselves.

I think with enough trading restrictions trading can work just fine.

• Not every Item Type/Rarity needs to be tradeable (especially some target Boss drops don’t need to be tradeable)
  • Implement things like “Bind on trade”, “Bind on Craft” or “Bind on Fracture”
  • Restrict how many items an individual player can sell at the same time, so low, medium and high end players will all only sell items that give them enough profit in their current situation.
  • Seller should not be able to remove an item that he has put on sale

Just some random ideas

3 Likes

This is really the only point I disagree with. Everything else i agree if done right can work. Binding on trade stuff interesting idea. It promotes the removal of items out of trade which is how HC leagues tend to be more enjoyable for economy base gameplay due everything more reasonably price.

Back to reason why I quote. its very simple reason. what if I mess up my price want to remove to fix my price cause I accidently put in 1 too many 0s or too less. Or in the case of my blind ass i put in the wrong item. I should as the seller have the right to remove and fix my mistakes. especially if we are limited on how many items we can sell in this hypothetical situation.

1 Like

Not sure how to solve your specific issue.

Maybe use multiple confirmations, when you want to sell items. (maybe only for items above X value)

But generally user induced issues like this are not priority IMO.
If you sell super valuable stuff you should double or triple check if everything is fine.

If the selling menu is very clear and easily readable this might be less of an issue.

1 Like

I completely agree. I feel like the people who want unregulated trading in games do so because they are often used to games where trading is felt as necessary to move forward (the obvious example being PoE). Why it is felt as necessary doesn’t matter here, the fact is that it is, and that considering a game where trading with strangers is regulated, or even non-existent, feels like it would be a hurdle.

But the thing is, that, in itself, is a sign of a game where crafting/looting is underpowered (relative to what is necessary to tackle the game comfortably, I mean). I feel like in a game like LE where looting and crafting is interesting, interactive, and sufficient to tackle the game comfortably, trading with strangers barely even has a reason to be. And I feel like that will become apparent to everyone once they try to play the game in its current state (I might be wrong, and anecdotal evidence is always only worth so much, but I feel like most people who want a large scale trade-with-strangers mechanic have rarely engaged with the game in its current state for more than a hundred of hours or so).

Of course, those are just my thoughts; and if it turns out that more people want some bidding house thing, I would obviously not be opposed to it as long as it’s well made. I just feel like such a thing is superfluous is a game where looting and crafting is sufficient. Also, I was careful to specify “trade-with-strangers” because trading with friends is another thing (“Hey dude, weren’t you playing a Storm Crow build? Cause I got those Ravens’ Rise gloves, but I’m not gonna use them, do you want them?”), but from what I’ve read, some other games that I didn’t play already addressed that, and you guys mentioned ways to deal with that, so I don’t think it’s going to be much of an issue. :slight_smile:

(All of this is just my opinion as of now, so of course I’d be glad to read your answers if someone disagrees!)

2 Likes

This. If instead, you could, for the sake of argumentation, play to get what you want, what do you think you would do ?

EDIT : typo

1 Like

Yeah that is more of a UI thing. But my point is sometimes too much limitation can also drive away the desire to engage with the system. I know I know then just don’t engage. Like what if I’m playing party play with a friend. I drop an item he really needs. But i gotta go through these hoops in order for him to maybe get it. What if i would like to just drop it on the ground and give it to him directly for free. But if we enable this feature then it can lead to the other negatives that Bots can find a way to abuse. I think the hardest part in this. what do we consider the acceptable line. That majority can agree upon!

1 Like

Simple, you aquire more items, enabling you to play more builds without investing 3k hrs in the game, this is a good thing usually. Also people enjoy trading with each other in other arpgs, some people play PoE just to get currency, and if that’s what they find fun-well that’s ok by me. Other people get cool items they wouldnt be able to get themselves, and the player who made currency had fun as well. As long as trading is implemented properly it will be better for growing the player base.

Most of them don’t think it is fun. It is mandatory. If you want all the items for your build. That is sad actually and I don’t want LE to be like that

I am curious, do you think trading could benefit a very casual player? So if I invested only around 4 hrs a day, and had a tough time pushing endgame monos just because I couldnt really invest time in the game the way some could, do you think me being able to aquire T19 or 20 items through trade could be beneficial? Seeing as this game cost 40 dollars and I now want my high level items lol. Just a question, I play 10 hrs a day and have no life…

Then maybe the devs sell LE + ‘all gear pack’ bundle? :smiley: so you are fully leveled 100 character with any gear you want. So you don’t need to spend your valuable time and can just play as much as you like? Really

1 Like

That is a very good question. I think L.E should be able to provide to those players a sense of progression that doesn’t go through trading.

I think it actually does succeed in doing that right now. My actual build has 25 hours, and i own a t21 item and several other pretty good. And the grind only begins because now i want the right bases and i’m more sure about what i want everywhere.

1 Like

I mean thats not exactly what I said, I just said would it be ok to implement trading, maybe my english is no good lol
Remember the difference between a free game and a game that cost money is the casual players opinion is pretty valuable in a paid game. The free game is where the elitist are going to spend the most money in the actual game with MTXs and such, LE will rely on casual players buying the game. Gotta think big picture

what can I answer? Opinions differ. My opinion trading is bad for aRPG in the long run as it removes the excitement of finding a good item for your build. You just have no goal ahead except for blessings maybe. But there are other opinions those who like trading. Maybe they just find trading a fun. I can only express my own thoughts on that.

Getting a T21 in a 25 hr character is actually incredibly rare!! Great Job. That would be an amazing item to trade lol

I don’t think the game needs a completely open market for trading but I would really love for there to be limited trading between friends or a guild, especially when there is multiplayer. Currently its a bit of a bummer when I can’t trade with my husband when I drop something that would be perfect for his build and visa versa.

1 Like

Allow me to suggest a replacement for “Trading” - “Offering”.

i.e. you get nothing in return, you are just offering up something you don’t need for someone else. If they want to “offer” you recompense, so be it, that’s up to them.

This eliminates bots/farming/hacks because there is no “economy” so to speak - just players helping each other out.

1 Like